The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » How to clean up packet tricks that don't leave you clean? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JSeligstein
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSeligstein
I end up doing a lot of close-up magic, and so far I've had to stay away from packet tricks that don't end clean because spectators want to grab the cards. I love a lot of these tricks: 2wenty1, dazzle, etc.

Any suggestions about how to handle audience and cleanup here?
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
If you are doing a series of tricks, just leave the one that end clean to the end.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
If you place the "dirty cards" on a deck you could use Jeff Kaylor's utility device to clean up. It is being sold as Any Card To Spectator's Wallet.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Jinx change, Himber Wallet, multiple Top Change, ATFUS, Secret Subtraction, confident audience management.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
First I wouldn't let someone grab my cards. On Sankey's packet trick "Hijacked" he suggests throwing the dirty card close to his crotch and the others a little closer to the audience. Good advice if your table hopping.

TC
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-10-15 08:53, T_C_Magic wrote:
First I wouldn't let someone grab my cards. On Sankey's packet trick "Hijacked" he suggests throwing the dirty card close to his crotch and the others a little closer to the audience. Good advice if your table hopping.

TC

Hate to dispute Sankey who has made more money than I ever will in magic but that particular advice is simply puerile - and in many situations it really doesn't matter WHERE you "throw" the gaffs. Audience management skills are MOST crucial and the ability to switch the gaffs for regulars, simply pocketing the cards, or copping out the gaffs serve as important ancillaries.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: TC, I am not disputing you. My retort is against Sankey's "suggestion."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I don't clean up. I simply put the cards away. Usually back into the "dreaded little black wallet" that I got them from. Of course, I always end with a non-gaffed packet trick like Duplicity or Royal Scam, both by John Bannon. Smile
JSeligstein
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSeligstein
Dpe666, yeah I have Royal Scam as well, but so far I've been doing one-off tricks, not sets of tricks. Perhaps that's what I need to fix Smile
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
For me, it is most cleanest that I don't do clean up move.

Hideo Kato
JSeligstein
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSeligstein
Hideo, not sure I follow. What do you mean?
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
After the play is over with the climax, the curtain must be closed.
Doing clean up move is like to open the curtain again and show the stagehands clean up the stage.
Gather the cards and put them away, it can act as closing the curtain.

Hideo Kato
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
There are some packet tricks that even though they don't end clean, the audience rarely asks to inspect the cards. The difference, I think, is how fairly the cards are handled and displayed during the effect. For example, the trick Pink Floyd is not inspectable at the end, but that final display is so open looking that the audience is convinced they've seen all the cards front and back. I've done that trick hundreds of times, and I can't remember the last time anyone asked to see the cards at the end.

Of course if something can't be inspected I'll often put the cards away a beat or two after the final climax of the trick while the audience is still absorbing what happened and before the tendancy to ask to inspect the props arises. This is done with the attitude that I'm moving on to the next trick, which also quells any tendancy for spectators to ask to see the props. Even if they do, at that point I just insist on showing them the next trick and there's rarely any argument at that point.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Sorry but I just can't get my head around this point of audiences examining cards (or props - as this point has also been mentioned in other threads).

If you are working commercially in a close-up environment, how do people actually 'time manage' this examination process? Do you just stand there like a gormless clown as your props are handed around like a game of pass the parcel? What do you do to keep the entertainment flowing - do a handstand, sing a song or recite Shakespeare.....until the cards/prop finally comes full circle and gets handed back to you? Sorry, I just don't get it.

I recognise it's different if you are performing a few tricks for lads at the bar - but adopting this practice when doing a paid performance? Did Fred Astaire stop halfway through 'singing in the rain' and hand out his tap shoes to the front row to try on?

What is this obsession with wanting people to inspect everything?

You are there to entertain with magic....the actual props that you use are secondary - and should be treated as such.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I always like the opinion of Mr. Kato.
He is confident enough to just put the cards away, and announce "The End".
With enough presence and command, this is often more than adequate.

However,
If the situation is an audition,
And the Potential Employer persists with, "Hey, let me see those cards!"
You can ignore his attempt to manipulate you,
And take the risk of losing the gig,
Or you can calmly reach back into your pocket
And retrieve the duplicates
That you prepared beforehand
For situations
Just like these.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I can't muster anything like Merc's level of sarcasm, but I will say this: There's nothing wrong with being prepared for the heckler who demands to see the cards. You don't have to stop after every effect and insist that every spectator inspects the cards -- that's really a straw man -- but if a guy who's had one too many appletinis says "Hey, lemme see them aces," it'd be nice to be able to say "okay." And at the end of your act, it'd be nice to be able to leave the cards on the table for a few long beats -- in case someone wants to inspect 'em -- rather than grabbing 'em up and pocketing them immediately.

I don't think anyone is saying every card trick has to end clean or has to be capable of being cleaned up, but it's a nice plus where it's possible.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
French Drop - the PROBLEM with handing anything out for examination is that spectators (even sober ones!) have this ability to put things (especially cards) down into wet patches, soup, gravy and nearly everything else that you find on a table top.

Even some of the nicest people in the world that you'd ever meet can become a complete pain in the butt after a few drinks.

My best advice with a p***head/heckler is just pretend they aren't there. Make no eye contact and basically treat them with the contempt they deserve by ignoring them. You are there to entertain them my friend - not bow down to their demands.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 08:47, Merc Man wrote:
French Drop - the PROBLEM with handing anything out for examination is that spectators (even sober ones!) have this ability to put things (especially cards) down into wet patches, soup, gravy and nearly everything else that you find on a table top.

Please look again, and you'll see I never said anything about "handing anything out" for examination.

Quote:
Even some of the nicest people in the world that you'd ever meet can become a complete pain in the butt after a few drinks.

Exactly! Smile

Quote:
My best advice with a p***head/heckler is just pretend they aren't there. Make no eye contact and basically treat them with the contempt they deserve by ignoring them.

I'm sure that's a way to deal with him. And it's the way you *have* to deal with him if you've just done a trick that doesn't end clean, but that is simply too good to drop from your act (a whole boatload of tricks fit that description). But surely ignoring a really persistent heckler can lead the other spectators to think "Why is he studiously ignoring this guy? He must be hiding something." Seems like the degree to which they think that is the degree to which the heckler has "won" -- has succeeded in what he wanted to do (which wasn't to learn how the trick was done, but simply to "expose" the fact that the magician is "just" doing tricks). I think the ability to finish clean (with at least the final trick in your act, if nothing else) can undercut the heckler's efforts to make himself look smart and reassure the other spectators that you were never hiding anything.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Does B.B. King hand Lucille out for examination?

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Is B.B. King's guitar remotely applicable to this conversation? I know lots of people think B.B. has magical blues powers...but I don't believe anyone suspects his guitar is gaffed. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 18:08, FrenchDrop wrote:
Is B.B. King's guitar remotely applicable to this conversation? I know lots of people think B.B. has magical blues powers...but I don't believe anyone suspects his guitar is gaffed. Smile

If you've ever seen him perform, live, you don't need to ask. When he can play an emotion so specifically that you know what his silent script is, you begin to have no clue as to how he does it. Chaulk it up to the Robert Johnson legacy - the same goes for Kenny Wayne Shepard. He makes the other audience members seem to disappear.

As for packet effects, I use an Ascanio Spread to disarm the audience at the end of Mirror Reverse. They don't ask to see the cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » How to clean up packet tricks that don't leave you clean? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL