The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant Patina! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Instant patina.... really?

I know that some of you love your cups nice and shiney (Donnie!) and some love a nice patina, well Bruce has written a wonderful article that will quickly and easily allow you to create the later, instantly!

Bruce's results are wonderful and use something you probably already have in your kitchen! Bruce kindly wrote up part 1 and is going into more depth in part 2.

Thank you Bruce!
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Instant-Patina-Part-1.html

Bri
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I've been waiting for this one. thanks Bruce & Bri.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Great findings, thanks, Bruce and Brian.

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Tragic
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Thanks guys! I thought that might by your response Donnie! It's only fair to mention that no cups were harmed during the process!
:rotf:
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Donnie... Just walk away... walk away... LOL.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

You know Donnie, you could look at it this way... Bruce is SEALING in the shine and protecting it, safely underneath that patina....
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Donnie I won’t include photos of the chrome Cups with a patina.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Bruce kindly sent me part 2 of his great article! It's up on the site now for those who have been waiting (and if Donnie wants to torture himself some more..)

Thank you Bruce!

Bri
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Congrats! I think you already won "the weirdest thing I've read on the internet this week" award, and it is only Monday!

The winning quote: "The best thing I have found so far that gives a somewhat faster than normal result (all things being relative), is to sleep with the Cups between my pajama shirt and stomach."

Bri and Bruce... you guys are great. Thanks for your contributions...

-Lee
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think this is called "the kangaroo method."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Yes... I warned in part one, things would be a little weird. I want to be clear... it is scientific! No way a fetish... LOL.

Bruce
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Bruce, you are truly the Jane Goodall of goblets!

-Lee
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
That is Doctor Bruce to you sir... LOL
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"Nothing comes between me and my Sherwoods."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Bill... I missed your “Kangaroo Method,” comment... funny.

Dr. Bruce
Pasquale
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Pasquale
They look great. I've got the Magic inc cups that I've had for probably 35 years - naturally patina'd..but if I ever get new cups, I'll probably use this method.....
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I think I'm going to need part 2 because part 1 has less than desirable results. The cups are "blotchy".
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Domino... Don’t give up; try giving them a wipe down with the denatured alcohol and try again. After wards give them a good rise with warm water and handle them or try the under your shirt method, this should even out the blotchiness.

If you can PM me some photos to look at. It took me several tries to get repeatable results.

Good luck,
Bruce
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Here is another interesting technique:
Bake the polished copper cups in your conventional kitchen oven at 500 °F until the desired patina is achieved. These cups were baked for about 30 minutes. (Actually placed them directly on the rack and allowed the oven to heat up to operating temperature with the cups inside, so the total length of time in the oven was about 45 minutes.) The cups have a variety of colors in them - reds, green and golds. I noticed that when the oven had just reached 500° the cups were a wild looking red. I should have taken them out and taken a picture at that time. Then they turned a silver looking hue after about 15 minutes at 500°, and after 30 minutes at 500°, this was what came out:

Copper will not melt until temperatures reach 1084.62 °C, 1984.32 °F. Neodymium will be ruined at 500° so don't try this on Combo Cups.

Note: No cups were harmed in the production of this photograph and all copper was restored to a brilliant shine after the test.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant Patina! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL