The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant Patina! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Very nice Donnie. Thanks.

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Thanks Donnie... Something new my wife will think is weird when I fire up the oven... LOL.

Bruce
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1463 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Perhaps Donnie should apologise in advance to Mrs Smith.
Kids, it's not Dad's fault there was no dinner.
"But there isn't a door"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tom... the question will be, why do my Cups smell like fish sticks... LOL.

Bruce
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Good tip, Donnie. Thanks. I may give it a try.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Thank you Donnie AND Bruce. A very entertaining thread! Smile
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Afinemesh... I am glad that you found us entertaining; then I did my job...LOL. Cup Fever effects us all in different ways.

Bruce
JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
Very entertaining thread. On on of my sets of cups, I actually put a lacquer clear coat over the patina to protect it. Not only does it make the cups appear more shiny, my hands don't smell "metallic" after use. Plus, I can't accidentally wipe the patina away. The nice thing about lacquer (as opposed to the "magipoxy" once applied by the original Rings and Things) is that, should you change your mind, it is very easy to remove with lacquer thinner.

I use nitrocellulose guitar lacquer, which is also applied to fine brass instruments to keep them from tarnishing.

Regards,
Jonathan Schweid, M.D.
President, JESmagic
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have never considered applying lacquer to a Cup with a patina; however I have had great luck using wax. That way I can control the luster and it too can be easily removed.

Thanks,
Bruce
JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
Bruce,
Good idea with the wax. I have some good quality carnuba wax that I'll try. The lacquer is nice too because it "melts" into the patina and you can't see, but gives that "candy coat" shine. It too is easily removed with lacquer thinner, which will not remove the patina.

I also bought some bronzing solution and have been experimenting with it to get a nice patina. You can use this solution to tarnish the cups, but in general I find it blackens the cups if you apply too much. That said, it comes up with some very nice colors. The cool thing is that you can always just buff it off with your buffer, or copper polish. I have used Donnie's baking method too. It works quite well.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Jonathan... I too have found that carnuba wax works well, I have also had great luck with “Renaissance Wax, “recommended by others. One day I might try the oven and lacquer methods.

It is amazing the different hues of color that appear as Cups are used or forced to turn. For a while I was on a shiny Cup path, but now I really like my Cups penny brown. Brass must be kept shiny... though I remember a set of brass Johnson Cups that Franck posted a photo of, they looked pretty cool too.

Thanks,
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant Patina! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL