The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Halloween vent figure? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Three years ago or so I bought one of those Halloween pumpkins made of dense papier mache' (I think). I figure it might make an interesting holiday vent figure. I haven't had time to address myself to it, but it seems to me the mouth could, essentially, be a thin, jagged line, which, when opened (pivot point) becomes the ragged saw-tooth mouths we see on such pumpkins. Still experimenting with the notion. Think I may have to build some smaller mockups just to play around with how to do it. I'd put the pumpkin on a stick that looks like a rough branch (like a scarecrow or the Oz pumpkin character) and build the body accordingly. What do you think?

-Philip
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Hey Philip,

If you could control the mouth remotely and insert a garden hose in the back of him, you could hide around the corner and talk into the hose while the mouth moved. . .and scare the begingers out of some neighbor kids Smile

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Sounds like a neat idea Philip, (and I would put a scarecrow type body on it).
Although I'd probably want to keep it simple because how much can you use it?
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
When we did this several years ago, we just used a carved pumpkin, cut a hole in it and ran the other end of the hose into the window of the house. With the light of the candle, when the pumpkin began to make eerie noises, fun things began to happen. Some of the kids without parents left entirely (candy savings), one little kid wet his pants, but most just screamed and then began to laugh. It was fun to watch the reactions of some of the parents as well. If you can do it with a moving mouth, you could multiply the effects, but I would suggest a night light bulb instead of a candle. I think you would be better off with your mechanics to do this.

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
343 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I made one about 40 years ago out of paper mache. Worked great and I carried it under my arm... just the pumpking, no body, headstick, etc. Just pulled a string to open the mouth.

Gary
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
It's too late for THIS Halloween...but it could make a pretty cool vent figure. I figure it might sound a little like Boris Karloff, maybe.Dunno.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I had an idea for one some years ago I started on, but I abandoned it.
I'd bought a skeleton on sale after halloween, a plastic one, all the joints moved, the jaw moved. I was going to put moving eyes in it for starters. I also built a wooden coffin for it with a lid, and I was going to run controls through the back of the coffin for moving the eyes and jaw, and to make the arms move.
At some point, I decided it was too much to bother with for once a year.

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
S'funny, Hawk. I did the same thing. Actually DID make the eyes and jaw move...and was going to build a wooden box in a truncated coffin shape...but then we were doing a stage production of "Dracula," and I needed an animated corpse for the end of Dracula as the sun hits him...and I used the skull puppet with some fall-away skin and some smoke loads and...well...long story.
But, now that you mention it...that skull is still downstairs in a box. The eyes and jaw still move. Hmmmmm.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

The one I had, the jaw did move, just needed a control for it, but I don't have mine any more. When we moved recently, we literally reached the point when we could get nothing more in the truck, a few things got left behind - that was one of them, it's still in the basement. Just as well, like I said, more trouble than it would have been worth for once a year and I probably never would have felt like putting the time into it because of that - and if I ever do, I'll just buy another skeleton and build another coffin.

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Yeah...that "more trouble than it's worth for once a year" is a big reason my skull is unfinished and my pumpkin head isn't even started yet.

-Philip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Halloween vent figure? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL