The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: R2-D2 by Doug Dyment (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Review: R2-D2 by Doug Dyment from http://www.amirasideas.com

Yesterday I received this wonderful new booklet from Doug Dyment, owner of deceptionary.com and a very creative and wise performer.

A booklet that contains a new technique for billets inspired in the classic Centre Tear called "R2-D2"

Price and Description:

$27 at
http://www.deceptionary.com/r2-d2.html

My opinion:

28 page booklet simple layout , B&W photos .

The document starts with a great introduction of the history of the classic centre tear technique.
Doug wants to create a technique that fulfil a big list of requirements, and I must say that this new technique is just amazing.

2 ways to do a very good real-time p**k of the whole centre.
In the strict way, this is even more than a centre p**k, I would say a 66% p**k.

A great reading, full of knowledge and subtleties.

Rate: 9.5/10

If you want to get an amazing idea that is HIGHLY underpriced, get this new work from Doug.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12219 Posts

Profile of John C
Ok, I bit. Even though I promised myself no more paypal for at least a few days.

But this is Doug's stuff! Had to have it. I own lots of tears never used any.

Perhaps this will turn me around.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2256 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Many thanks to Amirá for his kind review of R2-D2. I hasten to add, however, that this is not available as a PDF (or any other kind of e-publication). As with all my releases, this is a real book.
"Calculated Thoughts" now at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12219 Posts

Profile of John C
Curse you Dyment!!

I just ran out of business cards! Not as a result of practicing really cause R2-D2 is very easy to learn and perform but rather cause I just like doing it. It's so .... it makes so much sense. It's kind of like technology. I mean, the world has been relatively smart for a few thousand years but it wasn't until a few hundred that we had electricity. What took them so long?

Same with ripping up little pieces of paper. Doug's idea suddenly appears. He must play with his business cards alot. His house must look like one of those bars where you can throw peanut shells on the floor.

Yes, I have all the other ideas from everyone but have never come across this sequence.

Good job Doug!

PS: I like the book too. I like the value added of the book with dictionary like explanations. A good purchase. Well, back to ripping ...
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
dscanning
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of dscanning
I just received the book and finished reading...best center tear I have seen...I am very pleased with my purchase!
Doug Canning
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2256 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Three things worth mentioning on the R2-D2 front ...

First, the on-line supplemental section for this book continues to grow, with much worthwhile material to be viewed (including a particularly nice performance piece by Rudolf Künzli). It is now the equivalent of 14 pages of text, extending the book itself by 50%. So be sure to check it out if you have not (very) recently done so.

Second, the first printing of R2-D2 is almost sold out (in less than a month, for which many thanks to those responsible): at this writing, there are exactly seven copies left. No reason to panic, as a second printing will be along shortly, but for those of you who care about first editions and such, this is the final opportunity to obtain one.

Third, a considerable quantity of reviews are now available, so if you're still on the fence about this offering, be sure to take a look at what others have written about the methodology.
"Calculated Thoughts" now at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
569 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Aren't you being sued by George Lucas?
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2256 Posts

Profile of ddyment
R2-D2's on-line supplement section has (as of today) now grown to twenty-three pages of additional material, so if you're an R2-D2 user and haven't checked it out lately, now might be the time to do so.

Some really elegant ideas are to be found there!
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Very nice center tear variation.
I like it a lot but I remain fixed with P.C.T and the less known but powerful jakutch jaja center tear.
well done mr dyment
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2256 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Alas, neither of these tears even comes close to meeting the criteria that drove the development of R2-D2. But both are certainly fine for what they are.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I'm going to buy right now.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I'm glad I just saw this, because I've had R2-D2 for a while now and I don't think I ever gave it a review.

It's great. Get it!

There, 'nuff said.
Seriously though, this is really really good. As with some others I prefer the 'alternate' handling given in the book, but either one is amazing. It's completely natural and the amount of space you see in the process of the tear is amazing.

I love it.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Very first time I went through the moves, I smiled at how perfect this is.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Very first time I went through the moves, I smiled at how perfect this is.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I've ripped through 150 business cards yesterday and today.
My forearms are killing me.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Here may be a helpful idea for practice.
Just as a baseball player swings 2 or 3 bats before stepping up for the real pitch,
rip through 2 business cards instead of 1.
Being 135 lbs, I can (yet) only rip through the 8 sheets of 2 business cards folded in half twice.
Still being able to tear through double what you need may make the "real" tear look more natural and casual, if your justification is something like an afterthought like, "You know what...we'll only use one of these 3 thoughts. We don't need this after all."
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2256 Posts

Profile of ddyment
To be fair, though, R2-D2 is extremely easy on the fingers. One of its fifteen design criteria is that "The actual tearing process must be physically undemanding: a tear shall never encompass more than four thicknesses of paper, and never begin at a folded edge."
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
852 Posts

Profile of nique
Nothing much else new to add to the mix; R2-D2 is extremely easy on the fingers, and what I am most amazed with is the huge peek area you get.

~ Nique
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Demitri
I've had, and worked with R2-D2 quite a bit, now. I read Mr. Dyment's comments regarding tears and offering information as to why one prefers a specific tear over another - and so, I wanted to get some actual field work with it before I came on here to offer my opinion.

Mr. Dyment laid out a substantial list of criteria, and R2-D2 certainly ticks all of the boxes. It takes a little bit of thought to go through the process the first few times, but once you've had a half dozen or so performances, it becomes second-nature, and the tears can be made without any thought put into them.

Do I feel this particular tear is better than others? Yes and no. Like every other form of billet peek, this is a tool. It does it's job beautifully, and the fact that you can view more than half of the billet opens up a number of possibilities for a billet worker. That's not to say it doesn't have trade-offs. Unlike other tears of this type (real time peek), the procedure is a little longer. I'm not saying you are standing around tearing up bits of paper for 20 minutes, but the tearing process takes longer (for me, at least) than Osterlind's PCT. this is not a hindrance, just something to point out. Mr. Dyment has clearly devoted himself to every minute detail, and like his criteria insists, there is no extraneous activity at any point. I just thought it was something to mention.

It's a great tool for billet workers. Even if you have a method that you like, it's definitely worth checking out. The expanded peek area alone, makes it worthy of consideration.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2256 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Hmm-m-m ... not sure why Demitri feels that the R2-D2 tear takes longer than the Osterlind one. In both versions, the billet is torn in half exactly four times, so there is no reason (other than respective amounts of practice time) why one should be faster or slower.

Of course, the R2-D2 tear allows for two separate peeks, exposing 50% of the billet. So clearly, if you want to use both opportunities, that will take a bit more time. But if you were comparing it to the Osterlind tear (25%), you just wouldn't use the second peek. For that matter, if you didn't need the second peek, you could even eliminate the final tear, which should make it faster than the Osterlind approach.

In my own most common use of the R2-D2 tear (John Wells' lovely "Barfly's Billet Test"), I only use the first peek (though I still perform all four tears). But I do use that second peek for some effects (particularly with couples), so it's essential to my needs for it to be available.

For me, the real drawback of the Osterlind tear is the fact that it fails to meet more than half (B, C, D, E, G, K, N, O, and P) of the criteria I enumerated for an ideal billet tear. It's also not well suited for business cards, the billet type I most commonly use (as it's the most available piece of paper in my normal working environment, and I don't want to be carrying around "special papers").

Lastly, I can't resist a comment on Demitri's suggestion of "a half dozen or so performances" ... this is most emphatically not what's taught in the R2-D2 book! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: R2-D2 by Doug Dyment (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL