The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: R2-D2 by Doug Dyment (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3908 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I agree, having destroyed easily hundred business cards while practicing... I like it a lot! And I decided for me to use the second method. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Demitri
To clarify -

It's quite possible that since I have been using the Osterlind tear for a longer time, the procedure goes faster for me. All due respect, Mr. Dyment - but I DID mention that the speed of the tear took longer FOR ME - I never said for everyone. I would also like to point out I never spoke of it as either a drawback or flaw.

by performances, I meant performances of the procedure, not live performances. This was an error of words, on my part. To be clear - the procedure for the tears takes a bit of practice to work into memory. There are specific moves and processes that are involved in the tear, and it took me a half dozen times to commit it to memory. I agree, I should have used a different word.
Dave Nic
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
222 Posts

Profile of Dave Nic
Late to the party but I just purchased this and love it. I know there have been a few other cts released and talked about in more recent times. If there are better/easier cts then this around, our art is moving foward at a rapid pace. Thanks Doug for sitting there for goodness knows how many hours tearing up goodness knows how many business cards to come up with this tear! Brilliant!

- Dave.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2251 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Thanks to new readers for the kind comments, which are always appreciated.

Those who have not (re)visited the R2-D2 supplemental section recently are encouraged to do so, as these writings continue to expand (currently the equivalent of 12 additional pages of material).
"Calculated Thoughts" now at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
There are some other tears that I intend to purchase someday, just to see what they are and see if there is an advantage I can use, but to be honest I'm just not highly motivated to get them. The fact is that, internet drama aside, I really love R2-D2 and have found it work well for me; it's very simple, looks natural and gives a very large viewing area. What else do you need?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1278 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Shall I go for this one ore Dr. Bills tear?
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
I can vouch for the product. I only use the first half of the routine but its really easy and you get a large surface area to look at.
timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
119 Posts

Profile of timlic
This is my 'go-to' tear. It, for me, seems natural, easy to do (after practise of course) and the option of using one or two p**k areas is a bonus.

Highly recommend this and Doug is a friendly fella!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2251 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The R2-D2 Supplemental Section continues to grow, hence this quick reminder for those who like the latest information on such things.

I've just added a fairly lengthy commentary by one of mentalism's busiest workers, pertaining to the use (and value) of billet tears in general, and R2-D2 in particular. Hope you find it as informative as did I.
"Calculated Thoughts" now at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, ddyment wrote:
The R2-D2 Supplemental Section continues to grow, hence this quick reminder for those who like the latest information on such things.

I've just added a fairly lengthy commentary by one of mentalism's busiest workers, pertaining to the use (and value) of billet tears in general, and R2-D2 in particular. Hope you find it as informative as did I.

I just sent Doug a pm in which I told him, among other things, that every time I go on his site, I find something new worth reading. What a great resource.
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
R2-D2 is the only tear I feel comfortable using. Its really simple to execute and works great in conjuction with Dougs Sign Language. My little pet routine - You tell someone you will reveal there star sign by using the psycic energy from a piece of paper they write their birthday down on. You tear up the paper to assure no funny business is possible from the spectator and perform Star Signs. After you reveal the sign there is a nice release moment where the spectator lets their gaurd down and bam - your in. From here, you play it up and tell them your going to take it one step further and reveal their actually bday and reveal in whatever fashion you feel fit. I like to use a visualization process as it follows suit with my Sign Language presentation. When I'm done I give a short reading about there star sign and blamo, one heluva memorable moment.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2251 Posts

Profile of ddyment
As it's turning out, this has been quite an active month for entertainers using R2-D2!

I have just added (with permission) to the supplements section a really nice routine by Bill Fritz, using a novel premise. It's not only a strong effect, but it also provides perfectly self-evident justification for both the writing down of the thoughts and the subsequent destruction of the billet (something that concerns a lot of folks).

In addition, it can involve as many as three direct participants, and yields two climactic revelations.

Pretty good mileage for an unprepared business card (or index card, should you prefer)!
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Doug, the password isn't letting me in.

???

thanks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Doug, the password isn't letting me in.

???

thanks.

make sure you click the button "click here to enter" instead of hitting your enter/return key.
I had the same problem at first!
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Thanks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12216 Posts

Profile of John C
Paolo Cavalli has a nice little routine called Into the White that is a perfect motivator for billet or tears.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
ltrblst
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Is there a performance video of this?

I use Osterlind Perfected Center tear, and was able to better understand it by watching in video.
-- Lut
Randa
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Randa
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2021, ltrblst wrote:
Is there a performance video of this?

I use Osterlind Perfected Center tear, and was able to better understand it by watching in video.

Same question here. I have read the description and have managed to understand but it would be nice to see it in action. @Doug Dyment ?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2251 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I am not generally a fan of video instruction: I think it is an inherently lazy way of describing something (I have always found that creating a well-written description forces the author to describe every detail of the topic, whereas with a video it's too easy to assume that, "well, they can see what I'm doing"). And videos have the unfortunate side effect of injecting the demonstrator's performing personality into the presentation, which I think is a Very Bad Thing for any art.

An exception, of course, is when a video is needed to show something that can't be clearly described using language and illustration alone (a tricky timing nuance being a possible example). But with close to 2000 copies of this tear having been sold over the decade since its initial release, I can't recall ever hearing from anyone who couldn't manage to understand the instructions.

I appreciate that a video makes a fine marketing tool, but I prefer to capture market share based on quality content, not skilled marketing. There are dozens of online reviews to help most people decide if this is worth their while to investigate, and I am willing to forgo the occasional sale to those who remain trepidatious about doing so.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3908 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Could not agree more! I learned this tear long time ago - by reading it. And it is my favorite of all by now. May I add something, even if it sounds probably harsh... here I do not point to anybody. But generally I found over decades that I never met a (at least) good magician or mentalist who was not intelligent.... intelligence is also measured by the capability of thinking abstract and understanding things which are described in words only (probably adding some photographs or drawings). So, reading and understanding might be painful sometimes, but it educates and promotes intelligence.... even „moves“ you learn better by reading about them as your brain starts (often without realizing it!) to understand what happens. This is a very important step for finally doing things automatically... this is the way we learn the entire life. You have to understand cognitively what you have how to do. And the often heard “statement“, „I am more the visual person...“, is most often an excuse, but in fact a sign of laziness or lack of int... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: R2-D2 by Doug Dyment (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL