The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: R2-D2 by Doug Dyment (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3908 Posts

Profile of JanForster
And here is a valid tip although today many are used to get served everything on a golden dish (which is in fact NOT a golden dish but the robbery of the chance of deep learning - apart that most "producers" today are too lazy to describe in words how to perform their "creations"...): Perform in front of a mirror without doing any trickery, then you know how it would look like if you really do what you pretend to do... and then do your trickery and try to get it as close as possible to the normal and real appearance. The advantage of this is that you can discard also a lot of handlings you see or read as they are never natural, because they look always (pipe dreams) suspicious and never natural. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3908 Posts

Profile of JanForster
For thousands of years, mankind has evolved, leaving behind the Stone Age, images and elevations, illiteracy... and now it is moving back... frightening and dangerous. Just look at the political development of the past years in the "leading nation of the world"... no wonder that it now affects all other areas of life... where the question is: Who was first, the chicken or the egg? Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Randa
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Randa
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2021, ddyment wrote:
I am not generally a fan of video instruction: I think it is an inherently lazy way of describing something (I have always found that creating a well-written description forces the author to describe every detail of the topic, whereas with a video it's too easy to assume that, "well, they can see what I'm doing"). And videos have the unfortunate side effect of injecting the demonstrator's performing personality into the presentation, which I think is a Very Bad Thing for any art.

An exception, of course, is when a video is needed to show something that can't be clearly described using language and illustration alone (a tricky timing nuance being a possible example). But with close to 2000 copies of this tear having been sold over the decade since its initial release, I can't recall ever hearing from anyone who couldn't manage to understand the instructions.

I appreciate that a video makes a fine marketing tool, but I prefer to capture market share based on quality content, not skilled marketing. There are dozens of online reviews to help most people decide if this is worth their while to investigate, and I am willing to forgo the occasional sale to those who remain trepidatious about doing so.

I think you misunderstood my meanings.
I have bought your brand new book "Calculated Thought", and I have read the description, and actually I am training to "Quarto". But I'm french, so perhaps I miss something, and I would be happy to see what this CT should look like (especially the moment of the p**k).
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2251 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Randa commented:
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my meanings.

I don't think so: you are seeking a video description of the instructions. I explained why I choose not to offer such a thing. You may disagree with my reasoning, and that is your right.

Quote:
... I would be happy to see what this CT should look like (especially the moment of the p**k).

Your request seems like a simple thing, but it is not. There are various times and approaches for viewing the written information, and it depends on how you want things to appear. You will find instructions for separate peeking options on pages 191, 193, 195, 202, and 203, the first two with illustrations. Each of these will look different, both to you and to the audience. Each has its adherents, depending on how they incorporate the tear into their presentations.

I understand that it can be more of a struggle to understand descriptions written in a language other than one's first, but that is where the truly useful information resides, not in a video clip.
"Calculated Thoughts" now at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: R2-D2 by Doug Dyment (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL