The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Age (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Julie Hill
View Profile
New user
Atlanta,Ga
2 Posts

Profile of Julie Hill
I have noticed a lot of magicians and escapologists start out at a young age. I am new to escapology (really new) and was wondering if anybody started out when they were in their thirty’s or older?
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
Started in my 40's. I'll be 61 next month and I will do escapes until I can't do them any more. I am curently working on an escape that involves either a wheelchair on a walker for my later years.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I started in my mid-late teens, but put it on hold for a very long time, picking it up again when I was about 40
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I did my first SJ when I was about 18. Needed a finale for my street show and everyone else seemed to be doing the 6' unicycle and juggling fire. So I did a straitjacket on a rola bola instead.

Didn't learn another escape until I was 24 when I started work on handcuffs.

I was a juggler quite young, but still not as young as most. Started that aged 14.

Personally I think the older EA will get taken more seriously.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
I had an under 20 year old EA tell once "When the people see me do an escape and then see you do one they'll say hey if that kid can do it that guy should be able to do it right?" I replied "NO...when they see you do your escape the people will say, hey if that old man can do it that kid surely can!"
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
See pic I'm approximately 8

It's a similar photo to a Blackstone Sr. photo (with the birdcage on the head). I didn't copy the idea, It just happened to be the best I could think of at the time.

I believe Harry's picture is in the Blackstone Book but I can't quote a page number.

Click here to view attached image.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Jay, where was that taken? You look like you are in prison?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That was in my back yard.

Immediately after that photo I announced that I was going to be a magician and that I could fly. Then I ran down the driveway and fell on my face.
Julie Hill
View Profile
New user
Atlanta,Ga
2 Posts

Profile of Julie Hill
Thank you for all of your answers. It means a lot to me. Now I can tell my husband it is alright to start in your thirty's.
Jay I like the picture of you(how cute). Again thanks for the comments!

Julie
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Jay's the one on the right!!
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Same as Ros. I was 18 When I started Escapes. Magic was a lot longer.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm 60. I was in my mid-30s when I started really sinking my teeth into escapes (and stunt work). My imagination is drawn many interesting directions. My body manages to keep up. My sense of theater has not stopped developing, and most days I still like performing. I've traveled to a lot of cool places, and met a lot of delightful people. Who could ask for more?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Darkart
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
98 Posts

Profile of Darkart
Im in my late 30s, used to do magic way before and included escapology in my act, It grew from there and I now prefer it. Every time I do a show it pulls more people in than the magic ever did.
Impossible is just another level of difficulty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Age (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL