The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If we love peace, why do we celebrate the military's achievements in war? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Not anti Military at all...

Just seemed like such a clash of philosophies.

Or are we all just resigned to the fact we will always be at war with each other?

That the need for human beings to be able to kill each other more efficiently and in a more disciplined manner will always be there? (Basically one of the job specifications and goals of the military imho...)

What do you think about this?

Again, I am not anti Military.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
From the ancient Roman saying, Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, be prepared for war. Or the 29th Psalm: "The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace." First comes strength, then comes peace. I am sure there are equivalent adages in the East. No clash of philosophies, just a description of the world as it is.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Where is the Roman empire now?

Was it not also full of older men taking advantage of young boys?
Not really a great model.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 05:39, Markymark wrote:

http://www.twyggy.net/wp-content/uploads/Berlusconi_111.jpg
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Again, I think it is the fact that we will always be a warring species.

As such we will always need put those who insure our safety in high regards.

Which means it is still survival of the fittest, at least the fittest militarily.

Peace by way of war? Smile

I wish there was some other way.

I really do.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
As George Orwell said, "War Is Peace".
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Rome was no more immoral than our own society. The point is not to emulate Rome, but to recognize that the discovery that peace comes from deterrence is as old as the hills. If you want peace, if you want people to refrain from attacking you, you have to make it clear to them that waging war against you will have consequences for them that they will likely find undesirable. And don't trouble yourself too much about the apparent paradox, didn't St Francis pray that it is in giving that we receive?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I always worry about stuff other people tell me not to worry about... Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hard not to, after all.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20567 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The reason achievements are celebrated is because of the amount of sacrafice those who heard our countries call made. We want them to know it was not for nothing. It is a way to say thank you. Thank you doesn't begin to cover it, but it is all we have.

So we celebrate the men who made our society possible, our way of life, and our thanks is shown. We celebrate the men who made it POSSIBLE TO LIVE IN PEACE through the sacrafice. All gave some, some gave all. It is not that strange when you understand the idea of being in the service of something greater than just yourself. (I am not saying you think that way, just explaining.)

It is not about war, it is not about peace. If a man was to stop my wife from being mugged I would certainly want to show my gratitude. Would I want to celebrate the violence? No, but certainly to say thank you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 08:42, Dannydoyle wrote:
The reason achievements are celebrated is because of the amount of sacrafice those who heard our countries call made. We want them to know it was not for nothing. It is a way to say thank you. Thank you doesn't begin to cover it, but it is all we have.

So we celebrate the men who made our society possible, our way of life, and our thanks is shown. We celebrate the men who made it POSSIBLE TO LIVE IN PEACE through the sacrafice. All gave some, some gave all. It is not that strange when you understand the idea of being in the service of something greater than just yourself. (I am not saying you think that way, just explaining.)

It is not about war, it is not about peace. If a man was to stop my wife from being mugged I would certainly want to show my gratitude. Would I want to celebrate the violence? No, but certainly to say thank you.

Thanks for that explanation. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 05:39, Markymark wrote:

Was it not also full of older men taking advantage of young boys?
Not really a great model.

lol
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20567 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 09:00, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 08:42, Dannydoyle wrote:

Thanks for that explanation. Smile

No problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Same reason many women wind up under the thumb of 'bad boys': like 'bad boys,' war is exciting.
Like nice guys, peace is borrrringggg!!!

People...feh! Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 05:08, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Not anti Military at all...

Just seemed like such a clash of philosophies.

Or are we all just resigned to the fact we will always be at war with each other?

That the need for human beings to be able to kill each other more efficiently and in a more disciplined manner will always be there? (Basically one of the job specifications and goals of the military imho...)

What do you think about this?

Again, I am not anti Military.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6756 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It is BECAUSE we love peace that we celebrate their achievements. Without those achievements, we wouldnt have peace.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Wait a second. There would be no peace if no soldiers existed?

Is it not possible for the human race to grow up?

Well, probably not. But we can dream, can't we?
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
“Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master”
- Demosthenes
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2011-10-18 10:44, stoneunhinged wrote:

We will never live in an idealistic world or universe, though idealism and dreams do have a place. That being said the acme of skill is to win without fighting. Sometimes in order to achieve the acme of skill you have to prepare for a fight which enhances deterrence. It is also better to outsmart enemies or opponents than it is to outfight them. Wars are not won on the battlefield, they are won in the minds of people. The ultimate mission of a soldier is the mission of peace.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-10-18 10:44, stoneunhinged wrote:

Yes we can. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If we love peace, why do we celebrate the military's achievements in war? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL