The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Why Hire A Magician? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I have been thinking along of the lines of: why would someone who is organizing an event/party even want to hire a magician?

After all, the key to good marketing is understanding why the customer wants what they want, what is their reason/motivations for hiring a magician...

These are reasons that came to my mind:

• to impress their guests/friends
  • as a gift to their friends
  • because they like magic
  • they want to make sure they throw a cool, fun party
  • because they saw a good magician at another party or somewhere else
  • because they know I do a good job and will enhance their event

I think it boils down to they want to make sure their event impresses the attendees which ultimately will make the organizer feel important. So essentially they are motivated by vanity.

Please share here why someone would hire a magician. I am especially interested in feedback your clients have shared with you. If you have this, please share it.

I am not interested in theories as to why a magician would be hired. Please do not share any theories, I only want feedback that a client directly shared with you.

Thanks.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Because a stripper might not go well with the wives.

Seriously,

The reason are different for specific groups of people.

There are those with a focus on children who love magic.
There are those who have a strong belief in the supernatural/paranormal hence it does well for mentalist.
There are comedy magicians that fit a wide range of groups.

One first needs to focus on "which group" will want "which type" of entertainer who uses a form of magic to fit that group.
Dennis Michael
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
I have to agree with Dennis on this, you have to figure out who the perspective audience is going to be in order to figure out what type of performance you are going to give them. For this reason, I have never been a believer in creating and practicing one act or show.

I am of the belief that you need to have many routines that are honed and ready to go. Then, when the call comes in it is only a matter of asking a few questions about the event, audience and venue to figure out what routines you'll do, in what order they will be performed, what costume to wear and what the music will be in the show you're going to do.

This method has worked very well for us and kept us quite busy since the 1980's.

The purpose of being hired by the client can range from egotism and vanity, as Tim points out, to philanthropy. The client may wish to say thank you to their employees for a job well done or to celebrate a special occasion in their family. It might be a bar or restaurant trying to drum up business, or a theme park or resort where the show is part of the experience.

The list of why we get hired and what we are expected to do, I would guess, could be quite long and diverse.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Oooops, sorry Tim, I guess I should of read your original post more closely.

I am confused by your opining about why we get hired, but then wish to have responses that share feedback from shows. I think we all have received feedback from our clients, but I don't know whether or not it would indicate as to why we were hired. Feedback generally takes the form of thanking the performer in some way for the job we did.

Oh Dennis, I've done plenty of shows that had strippers on the bill, so I guess we have to include them in there somewhere too! Smile Smile Smile
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
If you want to know why someone buys anything, first determine the value it has for them. Figure out the answer to two questions:

1. What does the customer value, i.e what is important to them? You can ask your prospective customer this question directly. But always remember,there may be others involved in the buying decision. So try to figure out the answer to the next question:

2. Who is judging their purchase decision and on what basis? You might ask your prospect, "Who else besides you is involved in making the decision on hiring entertainment?" You might get an answer like, "My boss" or "other people on the planning committee." If so, you will have multiple factors influencing the buying decision. The prospect might value fun entertainment, while his or her boss or spouse might be more concerned with cost.

Even if the prospect says, "No one,I make the decision" you can bet there will be other people judging their decision (spouse, child, guests at the party, co-workers, etc.) and they will be sensitive to those evaluations. To close the sale, you need to show your value to both groups - the prospect and those who judge the prospect's decision.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
I'm hired to bring people together at hospitality and networking events... people who would otherwise be uncomfortable meeting strangers.
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
It seems to me the only way to know a prospect's motivation for hiring a magician is to do a survey, like Jim Snack suggested.

Here are some possible survey questions (from a marketing course):

• What is your biggest frustration with finding entertainment for your event?
  • What have you tried so far that hasn't worked for you?
  • What is your biggest fear when it comes to hiring entertainment for your event?
  • What worries you? What are you afraid will happen if you don't get the right entertainment for your event?
  • What would you be willing to do to solve or get the outcome you want?
  • If you could have one question answered about finding entertainment for your event, what would it be?

I believe if I do this survey enough, my marketing will write itself. At this point it is survey I can do prior to a show, to make sure I know what is important to the customer. Eventually once my list is large enough, I will send it out to my list.
What question would you include in a survey? Would you use these questions?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Normally it is because it is the first profession they think of when hosting a children's birthday party (which I seldom perform at).

D
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Jim's good with business...listen to his advice...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Why Hire A Magician? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL