The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 4.8 Minutes - Lecture in Minimalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3413 Posts

Profile of Looch
Next 3 people to pm me will recieve a free copy of my latest lecture notes. The 3 people who recieve a copy must agree to read it, review it and post their thoughts here. They must also agree not to share it with anyone else.

Speak soon Smile
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Profile of SubconsciousSymbols
Pm sent within three minutes of your post. Look forward to reading and reviewing your lecture notes. Also I have heard wonderful things about your In**x's, which are unfortunately all sold out. Any chance of a V1.3 in the future?

Cheers, Asher
'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious'
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Sent PM...hope I made it!
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
1 of the 3, a great song by James.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I saw you do this at a lecture in the UK. Pity my shorthand wasn't up to scratch - it was good stuff.
Illusionist of the Mind
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Illusionist of the Mind
Quote:
On 2011-10-20 16:52, TonyB2009 wrote:
I saw you do this at a lecture in the UK. Pity my shorthand wasn't up to scratch - it was good stuff.

I just use a dictophone.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2193 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Packhorse!
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Looch-

My lecture on minimalism takes 0.25 minutes.

:eek:
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3413 Posts

Profile of Looch
Loads of responses thanks guys... First three will be emailed a preview copy today

Many thanks
Looch

Ps Bob.... 15 seconds eh? Lol
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1922 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
This was indeed very good Looch. A stack of business cards and an envelope for a great sequence of miracles at the table. Full endorsement from Barrie Richardson as well! I love your thinking Looch!

Cheers

Dr T
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Eagerly awaiting my chance to review this, high praise from Todd indeed. And with Barrie Richardson's blessing I know it will be GOLD.
Cheers Asher
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3413 Posts

Profile of Looch
Thanks Todd. All three copies have been sent out, feel free to say whatever you want, good or bad about the ideas inside. No "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" marketing here. All I do ask is be honest but constructive at the same time

Cheers
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18819 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its a great set of notes, and very well constructed and structured...

b*stard...
I've asked to be banned
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3413 Posts

Profile of Looch
Sounds like something you would put out then Smile
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Just finished reading this and it is a great routine for table hopping/ cabaret work.

Everything needed to perform the routine is simple and easy to aquire, setup is also simple.

The p**k method, and drawing dupe are not sleighty or difficult and so more focus can be put on presentation. Drawing dupe method I found was quite creative.

Routine is well structured and the closer is quite powerful if performed well. Looch explained methods very clearly and his tips and patter are solid.

not really my cup of tea as I don't do quick table hopping or cabaret work, but excellent ideas and methods that I may use for future shows and performances.

regards,
MI
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I want to say upfront that I have received a review copy of this.

Here are my thoughts:

As already pointed out, this is mainly for strolling and table-hopping magic. Of course, it is very easy to adapt it to a stand-up performance.

Looch gives a full routine to perform and the props used are very basic.

The lesson I learnt most from this manuscript was routining. I am very very happy to read about his 'bookend' to the routine. This is something I cannot wait to use. Again, the concepts are not 'new' but the routine is well thought out.

There are some very good logical disconnects in play that I personally like.

One thing I did not like in the notes was that presentation contained parts of the explanation. Then there is the method section that eliminates some of the parts already discussed. To me, I found that a bit confusing and at times, I had to go back and forth to get the complete picture of the flow. It is not that big of a deal but I would have preferred a more method-free presentation followed by the complete work. Again, this may not be an issue to others and it is certainly not a deal-breaker.

I also liked that Looch does provide a script but also leaves a lot open to the character of the performer.

Overall, it is a very good well-structed routine! It has multiple applause cues. It demonstrates multiple 'abilities'. I really like it! I will certainly incorporate the 'bookend' in my current set along with few other things that Looch mentions.

Great work Looch! Smile

Regards,
Ash
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12147 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 05:11, looch wrote:
Thanks Todd. All three copies have been sent out, feel free to say whatever you want, good or bad about the ideas inside. No "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" marketing here. All I do ask is be honest but constructive at the same time

Cheers

I didn't get anything. I think they stink!! Scratch this!!!
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3413 Posts

Profile of Looch
Thanks for your honest feedback guys. The lecture notes come from a lecture I gave earlier this year to the BSME (Psycrets) here is small excerpt from the intro...

Prelude…

In 2009, I was invited to lecture to some of Germanys Elite mentalists in Hamburg. The premise of that lecture was the following…

The Pack Horse Problem

Pronunciation: (pak'hôrs"), —n.
1. A horse used for carrying goods, freight, supplies, etc.
2. A person who works hard or bears a heavy load of responsibility.
3. A mentalist who feels the need to carry more equipment than he/she will use.

The term ‘Packhorse’ was commonly used in Yorkshire (the region of the UK that I grew up). It was frequently used as a slang term, typically when a husband had the unfortunate job of carrying the shopping bags as his wife stopped at every shop window on the way home;

“Tha’s got me as a bloody Packhorse woman!”

The ‘Packhorse’ term is also one I have coined to describe the Mentalist or Magician who takes far more props to a show than he will actually perform with. It is a common mistake and if you stop and think about it for a moment, you will have done this at some point in the past. I know I have!

A typical walk around gig might consist of 250 people split into groups of 10, sat around tables having a 3 course meal. (This is typical of a corporate Christmas party in the UK.) If the performer is booked for 2 hours, then he will only have on average 4.8 minutes with each table. Taking into consideration that some tables will be served with their food in the middle of your performance, you may only have as few as 2 or 3 minutes with each table.

Instead of filling your pockets and bag with as many effects and props at you can physically carry, it’s time to re-evaluate just exactly who you are as a performer and what you want to communicate to your audience.

The time spent with your groups may be short, but not too short that you cannot leave a strong leave an impression. An impression that can either make or break you as a performer - try to keep this in mind each and every time you approach a table.

The following is a 4.8 minute routine (it can be shorter or longer depending on you) that is simple, strong and covers a range of effects or ‘abilities’. It also minimises any pocket space, since the whole set utilises just a small stack of your business cards, a pen and a small manila envelope.

.................................................................................................................................

If you are interested in a copy, It will be released on the 7th November when I'm back in the UK. Price £15
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Oooo a little teaser. This sounds like something that I really need to read. I am out and out about this evening but I will read through it and post my review at some point over the weekend (probably Sunday).

Cheers, Asher
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
I had the pleasure of discussing the contents of these lecture notes during a conversation with Looch a while back.

Man!!! This is the stuff I really enjoy doing and I'm glad he's putting this up for the community to look at. It's way under-priced in my humble opinion. It reminds me of a Jerome Finley effect where he reads the minds if several individuals, but Looch has added some extra kicker elements also.

It has some very minor and simple set up but it's really as good as it gets when it comes to reading the minds of several people, with one simple prediction in the middle and a 'wham bam thank you ma'am' of a prediction at the end.....

Take a bow Looch (pun intended) it's really great stuff, mindreading with a huge punch but with business cards and a coin envelope.
With a bit of thought this can easily be adapted for parlor or stage, but Looch teaches for a close-up setting and teaches it well.

I'm assuming the lecture notes (having not seen them as yet) are just that, lecture notes, and may be a little disjointed, as has been mentioned by a poster above, but this is a very simple method and routine (only takes 4.8 minutes in fact! But somehow Bob can do it in 15 seconds!!! Lol) and I'm sure Looch will help if any aspects are unclear.

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 4.8 Minutes - Lecture in Minimalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL