The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm tired of the fact that our posts don't count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Dear friends,

I'm tired of the fact that our posts don't count. In general, the forum post count is meaningless other than to say, "this person is a regular here". That's all it means. But some of us regulars don't get our posts counted as much as others.

So, read this, and post if you feel even slightly the same as I do:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=40&0
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Jeff, when I think of you, I NEVER think of post-count. I think of you. And new members who come around will get to know you, and if they stay, and come to have the respect for you that I and others have, and other factors of measuring you as a Café member will fade, because they will learn that what they have in you *causes* other factors to fade. Those are my feelings.

And just think, I feel this way and you and I really don't have a lot of 'personal' interaction here. You and your character are on display for me to read, and have been for quite some time. I think many new users will come to feel the same way.

I know this doesn't really address your feelings on the matter, specifically, but them's my feelins'.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Profile of Futureal
So you want to go from being a geek with a huge post count to a geek with a MASSIVE post count?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
And why do you want your posts to count? Just curious cause personally, I could care less.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I almost hate to post again because it will change my post count now and for the first time I looked at my post count because of this topic and low and behold, it said, 666 Posts. Must be something very evil about me not caring about my post counts. Maybe I'll go see Paranormal Activiy 3 tonight.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
OK, I should have read your link. Ignore my first post cause you explained in the link why it mattered to you. Sorry for the previous useless posts. Any hey! Still 666 Posts! Cool!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 18:10, rockwall wrote:
And why do you want your posts to count? Just curious cause personally, I could care less.

I'll bet (10 posts) that you couldn't.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2866 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
There's more to being a member of a magic community than posting only about magic. It would be wonderful for the Café to acknowledge that being human beings who are actively interested in the world around us and in our friends here at the Café definitely makes members an asset and serious contributors to the forum. Where can we find some listening ears for the moderators? I'm reminded of the guys at conventions who just don't know when or how to put the coins down already! Bet David Roth might laugh at that if he's reading, I do. Hi, David! Smile ! There are and should be other sides to magicians. Give credit where it's due, I say. I'm with ya, Jeff, especially since it seems to mean a lot to you right now. And let me tell you, I understand that, indeed. All the best.

Laurie

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 14:23, Chessmann wrote:
Jeff, when I think of you, I NEVER think of post-count. I think of you.

This really doesn't mean a lot, coming from a guy who doesn't even have 2000 posts.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My friends know who they are, regardless of 'official' post count.
Jeff, you are definitely one of them.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 21:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 14:23, Chessmann wrote:
Jeff, when I think of you, I NEVER think of post-count. I think of you.

This really doesn't mean a lot, coming from a guy who doesn't even have 2000 posts.

This really doesn't mean a lot, coming from a guy who doesn't even have 1400 posts.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Count towards what?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Frankly I'm glad my real post count doesn't show.

I'm especially glad my "man hour" count doesn't show.

That said, I do find myself caring more about some of the non-magic posting areas than I ever expected.
While I am quite a paranoid about giving info on the internet, I feel I've made real friends here.

Your posts here do count in my viewing enjoyment (maybe not every post).

Believe me Stoneunhinged, you (and Syndi) are in our thoughts no matter what your post count.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Mary (and others), thanks.

Jon, maybe the post count should count toward brownie points. How many brownie points do you have? I can give you some of mine, if you need any.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I think Jeff is just jealous that Jonathan Townshend has so many more than him. Realistically, though, I think the real reason is so that people contribute to the magic forums, versus the 'Not...' section to get up to 50. But as everyone else has mentioned, I enjoy your posts as they are. In the real life sitcom that is the Café you're the quirky neighbor that dispenses sage advice - like Wilson on "Home Improvement," except we can see your face.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 13:56, stoneunhinged wrote:
Dear friends,

I'm tired of the fact that our posts don't count. In general, the forum post count is meaningless other than to say, "this person is a regular here". That's all it means. But some of us regulars don't get our posts counted as much as others.

So, read this, and post if you feel even slightly the same as I do:

I guess that topic was locked.

If they will not relent on the post counts, perhaps they could at least include a "date joined" entry directly under a person's avatar. I think that would be another effective way in which to reflect an active poster's activity in / attachment to the Café.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I don't care anymore. I cared last night, because I felt like shouting about a lot of things. That feeling comes and goes.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Jonathon is going to be reduced to 'Newbie' status when they disqualify obscure rhetorical questions from the count.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 03:58, Destiny wrote:

Jonathon is going to be reduced to 'Newbie' status when they disqualify obscure rhetorical questions from the count.

Criminy, I know. I recognise the words he uses, but the meaning more often or not eludes me. I don't feel bad admitting this, because it is clear that most people at the Café and the Genii forums are in the same situation. I think he does it on purpose just to mess with us.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
At one time I thought it was cool to be in the top ten, then I realized many who beat me out by many thousands really did so just to increase their numbers.

Now I just post to answer another question. If you make a statement, there may be ten others who jumped all over you. Some real good Café posters left the Café because of the conflicts.

I found it easier to help others who want help, then give advise, especially to those who already know all there is to know about everything.

When you read posts, whose post do you like to read the most? Is it these top ten or others who really helped you?

Top Ten

1 Jonathan Townsend 24,285
2 Bill Palmer 23,345
3 Dynamike 17,660
4 Bob Sanders 16,761
5 Pete Biro 16,605
6 Father Photius 15,530
7 magic4u02 14,245
8 joseph 13,485
9 Dannydoyle 11,972
10 tommy 11,898

32 Dennis Michael 5,754 and all the above joined after me!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm tired of the fact that our posts don't count (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL