The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm tired of the fact that our posts don't count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 12:35, LobowolfXXX wrote:
"Brevity"

-Hamlet
William Shakespeare

Wit.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 12:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 12:08, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 09:23, Al Angello wrote:
Jeff
Although I have thousands of posts at "not very magical still" forum of the magic Café there is nothing important happening here. I find that it is a platform for right wing nut jobs.

lol Yes, between right-wing nutjobs like you, Chance, Payne, etc. Bachmann is a shoo-in in 2012.

Sorry; please add Landmark to my list. I don't want him thinking I no longer love him!

Shucks, I'm humbled that I'm on your list. Why who knows, with the enormous power we wield here on the Café, our liberal cabal may be able to move the country slightly to the left of Attila the Hun.

But more likely, we'll end up with Romney or Obama.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I prefer to call myself a right nut wingjob.

The thing about the 50 post count is that it just doesn't work. Here's what happens: some kid gets here, finds out that there's a secret section, and assumes there's gold there. So the kid looks around to see how to make some quick posts. Typically, they end up here, participate enthusiastically, then figure out that the posts here don't count, and then go to someplace like the Workers forum and start threads asking about where to start in "The Royal Road". (The obvious answer is page 72.) Then he finally gets into the secret section, gets bored, and runs off to the cooler Ellusionist and Theory 11 forums.

I remember one time (actually, it's happened more than once) some kid coming here and going back through a couple of weeks of threads and added his two cents wherever he thought he might have something to say. I got up that morning, grabbed my coffee, logged into the Café and saw all those red mugs and I thought, "cool! Lot's of new stuff to read this morning", only to find out that every single mug represented a dead thread in which we were all talked out.

Anyway, as was explained to me (though I already knew it), there are other forums in which the posts don't count, such as the buy and sell forum. And it does indeed make sense, I suppose, to not count every "one deck of Black Tigers, slightly used, will trade for mint-condition Death Cobra deck or something just as cool" thread.

But even then, where's the harm?

The spirit of the rule, as I understand it, is that posting a lot about things other than magic shouldn't raise your post count to that magical 50. If that's not the case, then it would mean something like this: posting non-magical stuff makes someone a lesser member of the community. But I just don't see why this is so. Sure, this is a magic forum. But if you take time to post in the "looking out for our own" forum, are you not being a friend and a brother magician to fellow magicians in need? Are you not a magician helping magicians? (BTW: I have only 42 posts in that forum, and 10 of those deal with my own situation, so I'm not saying I'm Mr Helpful.)

Like a lot of things at the Café, I think there were some good ideas put into place that outlived their usefulness as the member expanded to nearly 50,000. It's not that I think these things were poorly thought out or sloppily implemented. They've just outlived their usefulness. The 50 post rule has outlived its usefulness. Too many kids have wasted too much bandwidth because of that rule. But back when Steve didn't even know whether the Café would get off the ground, it was a good idea. It still might be a good idea if the forum had a few hundred members.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 12:55, landmark wrote:

But more likely, we'll end up with Romney or Obama.

If I were a gambling man, I wouldn't bet against you.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Or am I a left nut wingjob?

One things for sure: one can't be a true centrist in this regard, or one would have difficult walking.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It does my heart good to see others who remember high school literature.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 12:57, stoneunhinged wrote:
...If that's not the case, then it would mean something like this: posting non-magical stuff makes someone a lesser member of the community.

Bingo! And that is the message it sends, detrimentally. Weigh it however you will, it is a negative, elitist, faulty message. And that is why, after a few minutes of thinking about it last night, I decided to join your camp here, Jeff.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I don't know.

I think if you want a Magic website, there is a case to be made for showing some bias (and the count is not much of a ding) towards Magic input.

As a frequent poster in "New Arrivals" I "get" the feeling that my posts there are dismissed but it doesn't seem to bother me much.

I think it could be said that it was nice of the Staff to include a few places to meet and talk about things other than Magic but it is in their purview to count the post they deem most relevant to the focus of the site.

I wouldn't have a problem with them deciding that all posts should count but it is their choice.

Actually, the count seems unimportant.

-Mary Mowder
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 12:58, stoneunhinged wrote:
Or am I a left nut wingjob?

One things for sure: one can't be a true centrist in this regard, or one would have difficult walking.

Perhaps you are a wingy nutjob.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
If you can't walk, fly.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 04:13, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 03:58, Destiny wrote:

Jonathon is going to be reduced to 'Newbie' status when they disqualify obscure rhetorical questions from the count.

Criminy, I know. I recognise the words he uses, but the meaning more often or not eludes me. I don't feel bad admitting this, because it is clear that most people at the Café and the Genii forums are in the same situation. I think he does it on purpose just to mess with us.

His secret is out!

Click here to view attached image.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I always thought the beauty of the NVMS forum was that it encouraged the left-wing nut jobs to refrain from posting their shrieking screeds all over the rest of TMC. (The way they inject their radicalib diatribes into musical concerts, art exhibitions, and everything else.) Your mileage may vary. I enjoy reading them, so that's why I come here.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I'm with Laurie on raising the threshold to 200. But after that, why not count 'em all? Being in this bottomless pit with no chance to make it to another level is kinda depressing, don't ya' think???

And while we are at it, how 'bout some more levels? Sort of a light at the end of the tunnel. "Grand Mufti" comes to mind...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I care less and less about the Café everyday. Postcount/schmocount

The time I spent on the Café a year ago has been transfered over to reddit.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 09:36, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
But after that, why not count 'em all?

Actually, that would be the best solution. We all get to 200, and the counting stops. I like it!
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
How about each post in a non-included section removes one post from your count, but you still have access to the secret stuff if you went over 50. Then we can have negative counts.

Just a thought, someone run with it.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Next thing you know they'll be wanting that horrible Karma point system as well.

Does this section require a minimum post count to see? If not I would love to reset my post count to zero and maintain that status here.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 11:28, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Next thing you know they'll be wanting that horrible Karma point system as well.

Does this section require a minimum post count to see? If not I would love to reset my post count to zero and maintain that status here.

Ahhh, a breath of fresh air.. You must know of the reddit. For the record, I think "karma" over there is the stupidest thing ever.

As far as post count, I remember the day I thought the good stuff was in secret sessions, only to be...left wanting. I check workers, gambling spot, and here-thats enough for me. I cant add much to the workers, and in terms of gambling I really only try to help others who are where I was a few short years ago.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 07:24, Woland wrote:
I always thought the beauty of the NVMS forum was that it encouraged the left-wing nut jobs to refrain from posting their shrieking screeds all over the rest of TMC. (The way they inject their radicalib diatribes into musical concerts, art exhibitions, and everything else.) Your mileage may vary. I enjoy reading them, so that's why I come here.

Yep that's why I insist that members only use red Bikes. I've been busted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm tired of the fact that our posts don't count (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL