The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » When Other People See Your Double Lifting (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2003, Michaels wrote:
For those interested- Before I start my stand-up show I will state, "There may be a few of you that may have dabbled in magic; however, if you're aware of how a trick is done or you think you may know, please keep it to yourself so that others may enjoy the show, Thank You". I can honestly say that I've never had anyone in 30+ years blurt out the secret during a stand-up show after I've made that statement.

Top of the day,
Michaels

Thank you Michaels for this fine tip, I believe that this line is a highly underrated gem and it is usually taken very well by the audience. It ensures a smooth show and helps break down that "Us vs Them" mentality, the breakdown is complete once you've established rapport
I Love You God Smile
helpful
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of helpful
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, PeterSteele111 wrote:
I know the pain of doing DL's. I run and manage 7 magic shops and I get magicians all the time in here and guess what they love to burn hands. I got tired of them winking at me and telling me oh a DL mid trick as I would perform so I had to develop a way that I have not seen any other magician do a DL. Now I am sorry if someone else has done it this way before but I in good faith have never seen another magician accurately do this style DL as there one and only way to do it. This style takes a lot of practice compared to a standard DL and some may argue that it isn't worth the extra headache to be able to catch breaks accurately at the speed in which it just looks natural and like nothing is going on but I find it to be the best way for me anyways to not have people catch on to what I'm doing. Now people still realize that I DL but only after the fact do they realize becuase most of the times I get in and get out so fast that they don't think anything of it until later in the trick. Anyways here is a quick video of how I do mine and many of you may catch it watching video but comapred to some other styles of DL's I think this version is quite deceptive to many people.

http://youtu.be/V6ZvNQGkY_M

Looks like the actions of a strike double, but with a fairly exposed get ready.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Maintain control move on to the next trick then go back and work on it more.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2013, harbour wrote:
Don't look at it until AFTER they look at it.

This is right on the money!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I wonder if there is any possible DL/DT that is so deceptive and so well executed that it cannot either be seen, or retrospectively considered because of the result, by someone who knows of the move's existence? I have my doubts. Hence why I am sparing in my use of the DL, why I try and vary the style of the DL/DT, and why I also cheat with SF.
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
If you engage in this way, you're deliberately sabotaging your own routine.

Ignore it and carry on. In my experience, they were probably just blurting out whatever random explanation came into their head. Even if you are certain they caught you, they almost certainly didn't.

But let's strip this down. They interrupted you, so they're already a bad person to engage with. They claimed the correct method, so either your DL was way, way off or they're not a layman. Finally, you're proposing to derail your routine in order to do what? Win? Win what? By making some idiot look stupid? He already did that, there's no need. You 'win' by performing an entertaining routine, not by engaging in a battle of wits about the methods you may or may not be using. If they had the correct method and you engage, how do you know they're not aware of the KM move? How do you know they haven't read this thread? Seriously, just carry on. Ignore it. Be funny, make people feel good - even the person who interrupted you. Even if the person who interrupted you is a Darwin Ortiz-level internationally renowned card man with a personal grudge against you, you are still the performer and they are still a heckler. They are the one being as ass. The audience is with you.

If they're seriously obnoxious, then depending on the circumstances you need to either move on, or deal with them as a heckler. Most likely they're just embarrasing themselves and everyone they're with. But don't engage with them in terms of methods.

If you notice this happening a lot, you might need more mirror time, or possibly more time researching the best DL for you. But if it happens in performance, just ignore it.

Finally, if you've been having a bad time with hecklers, maybe seeng some hecklers getting badly burned can help you laugh about it?
(WARNING EXPLICIT LANGUAGE, ADULT COMEDY): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLlLM7Rgm8
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Or if they Do see yer double... AND they have the TEMERITY to say so... Then DESTROY THEM! Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!

Just my own personal theory...

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, Doomo wrote:
Or if they Do see yer double... AND they have the TEMERITY to say so... Then DESTROY THEM! Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!

Just my own personal theory...

Tony

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I like this theory Smile
I Love You God Smile
ymumagic
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ymumagic
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, Terrible Wizard wrote:
I wonder if there is any possible DL/DT that is so deceptive and so well executed that it cannot either be seen, or retrospectively considered because of the result, by someone who knows of the move's existence? I have my doubts. Hence why I am sparing in my use of the DL, why I try and vary the style of the DL/DT, and why I also cheat with SF.

I can't say that I am familiar with all the many different ways to perform the DL, but I would tend to agree with you.

However, its not the move but rather the context that renders the DL invisible. The DL is not meant to be a move or a trick, but rather just a means to the end of turning over a card, and if so no one should be paying any attention to the turnover.
I've found in my experience that the better at card magic I got the sloppier my DL became. I'm not saying that's a good thing Smile (and I did fix it up), however it was no longer necessary to do such a perfect job since no one was looking anyway.
Point is, as long as the DL is just happenstance, meaning you had to turn over a card and it just happened to be a DL, then you can even turn them over completely misaligned and no one will notice (personal experience talking Smile ).

Good luck Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Somebody said stop performing and practice more. I would say perform more , best way to get to feeling natural. Everybody gets caught now and then at something. The more you perform the better you get.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Somebody said stop performing and practice more. I would say perform more , best way to get to feeling natural. Everybody gets caught now and then at something. The more you perform the better you get.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
If possible, when creating effects or routines I will try to structure the routine so that each part of the routine cancels out the method that came before it IF it for some reason (prior knowledge of the sleight from the spectator whic is unlikely, or just sloppy execution on my part) would lead to that a spectator discovered the method.

If not possible I try to have a back-up plan in the back of my mind so that I can take the routine in another direction if the method were to be detected.
Phoenicis
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Phoenicis
Great advice fonda57. I've found that practicing in front of a mirror helps my DL technique but real performance under heat boosts confidence and teaches what works (and what doesn't in my case!) in terms of audience engagement and misdirection. My preference is the Blaine (Dingle) DL with a full deck, or a pinky-break set-up if I'm using a small packet.

I try not to be adversarial if someone calls out that there are two cards. I'd rather there were no "losers" in the performance - even if it's a heckler that I'd rather wasn't there (I know there are some great put-down one-liners that can put a heckler in his or her place and get great laughs, but it's just not my personality). I prefer something along the lines of "you know, I think you're right" followed by a KM move, placing the card in their hands and then saying "can you keep one and give me the other one back?". Of course there's only one card by this point and this gets a laugh.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Honestly I have seen top pros get caught doing a double. the honest truth is, if you have seen one or know what it is, you are going to catch it almost everytime. So in other words if you are getting caught, it may be because the person you are performing for knows a bit about magic. The best way to keep them from saying anything may be in your presentation from the get go.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, obrienmagic wrote:
Honestly I have seen top pros get caught doing a double. the honest truth is, if you have seen one or know what it is, you are going to catch it almost everytime. So in other words if you are getting caught, it may be because the person you are performing for knows a bit about magic. The best way to keep them from saying anything may be in your presentation from the get go.

Pro or not a pro is irrelevant here. The ONLY way anyone (magicians included) is going to spot or even sense a double is if the double being performed is c**p or there's a tip off (tell) in the handling.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
The double lift is one of the most deceptive moves in card magic. I've been doing it for over 50 years and I can't remember getting caught. I don't say this to brag but so you know that if you are getting caught repeatedly you are doing something wrong. If you think it can't be done while the spectators are burning your hands then watch a competent card man perform an ambitious card routine where doubles and even triples are the core of the routine.

The key is a natural handling developed by continuous practice. It will take plenty of practice to develop the touch required that will give you full confidence with this sleight. The two types of doubles I use most often are Daly's from the Stars of Magic and Vernon's push double from one of his Inner Secret books depending if I have time for a get ready.

I highly recommend learning to do this sleight well as it is one of the most valuable sleights in card magic. It's a sleight that will take plenty of practice but is definitely attainable by the average card enthusiast.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2015, lord_wallmotto wrote:
If possible, when creating effects or routines I will try to structure the routine so that each part of the routine cancels out the method that came before it IF it for some reason (prior knowledge of the sleight from the spectator whic is unlikely, or just sloppy execution on my part) would lead to that a spectator discovered the method.

If not possible I try to have a back-up plan in the back of my mind so that I can take the routine in another direction if the method were to be detected.

Yes, as a matter of fact there is a magic lecture done by Teller (Penn & Teller) that can be found on you Tube where he uses Meisers Dream as an example and shows how his method changes every time he produces a coin or a bunch of coins.
Highly recommend it. a very rare look inside Tellers mind and and his reasonings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5x14AwElOk

Enjoy!
Crownhart
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Crownhart
Timing hasn't been mentioned much here, but timing and patter can take heat off a DL.
Love the sharing going on many minds can really help. I got a box just to start thinking outside of it.
SinCIRCUSly,

Michael C. Crownhart
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, obrienmagic wrote:

Pro or not a pro is irrelevant here. The ONLY way anyone (magicians included) is going to spot or even sense a double is if the double being performed is c**p or there's a tip off (tell) in the handling.

If you know what a double looks like you are going to spot it. It is like saying a magician performs a double undercut. No matter how clean it is, If I know what a double undercut looks like I am going to see it.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2015, obrienmagic wrote:
If you know what a double looks like you are going to spot it. It is like saying a magician performs a double undercut. No matter how clean it is, If I know what a double undercut looks like I am going to see it.

Agreed. It's become a cliche, like the Elmsley Count. Just as sleeving was 80 years ago. And, much as performers roll up their sleeves to pre-empt the false solution that something went up the sleeve, it's worth thinking seriously about structuring routines so it is super obvious that you aren't using a double lift or an Elmsley.

I'm not moved by the argument that "I've never been called out." Maybe you're performing for people who are polite. Using the method of no false solutions means the performer has to sidestep all explanations, true and false. That's a much higher bar than avoiding hecklers.

Also, I think it's worth studying unstereotyped double lifts, like Krenzel's tabled double lift, or Armstrong's variation of the gin pick. Then you still have access to the move in a way a YouTuber won't recognize.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » When Other People See Your Double Lifting (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL