The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Utopia Review 3/4 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magician102
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magician102
Psychology (disc 3):

Introduction:
"You can see me and imitate me, but try and adapt it to your own style…"
"The spectator is never your enemy, they're always your friends"
"if you make a trick, make it from the point of view of the spectators. NOT from the point of view of the magician."

Classic Force:
In addittion to discussing the techniques, the video is shot fabulously where you feel the moment of force… by Dani forcing cards at the camera, a brilliant technique for teaching.

Rhythm:
Dani discusses the reasons behind the broken timing on his classic force.

Focus:
Dani discusses another aspect of the classic force and how to subliminally explain to the spectator's subconcious which card to take.

Attitude (A, B and C)
Dani discusses how the attitude is the covert part of the classic force. In addition he discusses/explains how to achieve honesty and being "real" with attitude.

Playing with Time (in the context of a force):
Fundamentally, playing with time is playing with the reactions of the spectators.

You Deal:
A discussion/explanation/overview of the classic "7 card force"

They Deal:
Similar discussion with the spectator dealing.

On the table:
Dani explains how to do the same force, in yet another variation.

Dealing groups:
Dani discusses approaches to forcing by dealing groups of cards as well as how to apply the previous contents of this DVD to the same.

Outs:
Dani deals with the "what if" that plagues most magicians when it comes to dealing with the classic force, the "7 force."

One Second for Magic:
A clever routine, which allows practice of playing with time for forces.

ACAAN:
Playing with values/numbers/positions… a favorite of Dani cause he loves "jazz magic"

Importance of Numbers:
Dani talks about the psychology and general importance of numbers in the average person's mind. And then suggests some ideas to play with

Number 18:
A brief discussion of why this number is important.

Directing the Spectator:
Dani talks about the capabilities of the human mind, and divides the subliminal control into three parts. How, What and Why. How to do it, what to do, and why? And then he applies it and breaks down several "direction" statements.
Here, Dani does something I wish more artists did - he breaks down tricks from the perspective of magicians watching a trick as well as laypeople watching a trick.

As well as a few performance examples, Dani offers us a few ideas in non-performance form. And while these ideas are by no means polished… they are ideas with great merit and fun ways to play with "numbers, values or positions"

Thought of Card:
Dani has a great passion of someone thinking of a card and knowing what it is. It's really a great feeling for the spectator.

Method and Example:
Subliminal methodology to change a looked at/taken card into a "thought of card" - "momento concreto"

The method is broken into 3 parts - the beggining, the lapse, the finish.

The beggining: A message or information is given or received.

The lapse: Information is changed by using a few different methods. Tons of valuable information, techniques and subtleties here.

The finish: The importance of how to withdraw information from the spectator without them changing their minds. Again some amazing thinking has gone into the process, subtleties and outs.

Thought Collector:
An amazing performance of what Dani calls the "normal trick" but with a "thought of card" handling.

Imaginary Deck
OH NO! this has been the first time in the DVDs that I've been disappointed… a problem with syncing - broken music, clipping, and a non-synced video and sound. Trying to rewatch. Oh - thank god… just an issue with my DVD player, but on my computer everything is fine.

Handling of various forces but applied to an imaginary deck:
Classic Force, Value Force, 7th Position Force, One in five.

I'm repeating myself but there has clearly been a lot of thought and time spent with these concepts. In addition to concepts, Dani proceeds to show us a few applications in the form of tricks.

Property Sequence:
An interesting sequence of questions where the instant you get a "no" as a response, you know what the card is… but otherwise, you continue with "yes" responses.

An Imaginary Imaginary Deck Performance:
Utilizing all of these techniques Dani performs an incredible "invisible deck" routine.

Interview 3:
Dani describes his magic with a phrase he really likes - "living sensation," as well as his discussing his process for creating a trick. There is plenty of value for philosophical discussions about magic in this segment.

Follow the Leader:
The follow the leaders posted on The Wire, is provided on this DVD, exciting and something I completely wasn't expecting.

Blooper 3:
This one was a little more endearing than the other bloopers… we see a little more of character than just little quick snippets.
riju1985
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of riju1985
Thanks for the detailed review
Exactly the things we expect from Dani came along the way in the dvds it seems
Thanks for the reviews
would like to hear the in depth reviews afterwards
:)
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
As a mentalist, this particular disc intrigues me. Thanks for detailed review
magician102
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magician102
@riju:

No problem, I rarely buy DVDs before reading the reviews, this was an exceptional case and I'm glad I can help convince those who may be on the fence. More detailed reviews coming soon for sure.

@brehaut:

I have a friend who does mostly mentalism, and this is the dvd I will direct him toward. The material on here would be perfect for his act... though my favorite part of this is that we are dealing with card tricks that could be performed on a stage or an audience of hundreds of people. (specifically those on this disc of "imaginary deck" style
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 02:27, magician102 wrote:
@riju:

No problem, I rarely buy DVDs before reading the reviews, this was an exceptional case and I'm glad I can help convince those who may be on the fence. More detailed reviews coming soon for sure.

@brehaut:

I have a friend who does mostly mentalism, and this is the dvd I will direct him toward. The material on here would be perfect for his act... though my favorite part of this is that we are dealing with card tricks that could be performed on a stage or an audience of hundreds of people. (specifically those on this disc of "imaginary deck" style

Thank you for the reviews---the time you spent has been very helpful. I have ordered this. Thanks again
magician102
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magician102
@brehaut, my pleasure. I'm glad I was able to help convince even one person to buy these DVDs. I can't stress how amazing this set is.
Mentalism
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mentalism
Can U tell me more about his ACAAN? Does it fullfill all restrictions? Hands off? Any thought of card any number? No stooges? One deck at the beginning.

Thanks

Markus
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2011-11-20 15:34, Mentalism wrote:
Can U tell me more about his ACAAN? Does it fullfill all restrictions? Hands off? Any thought of card any number? No stooges? One deck at the beginning.

Thanks

Markus

Dani doesn't really teach that kind of stand alone ACAAN. That section of the disk is more about how you can wind up with an ACAAN-like effect using some of the psychological techniques and handlings he's taught throughout the disk. I'd say it's more of an ACAAN within a jazz magic context as opposed to a the stand-alone, "here's the deck, name any number, name any card" situation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Utopia Review 3/4 (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL