The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdini's training programme (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Everyone knows that HH was physically awesome, but does anyone know what his training regime was?

I'm assuming he didn't just pop down the gym. Being on tour regularly would mean that would've been next to impossible anyway.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
First thing you have to start off is not to sleep more than 4 hours a day. The other thing to consider that kept him in shape, was doing the escapes and the show everyday.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Doing an escape show every day on its own wouldn't be enough to keep him in the peek of physical fitness like we're led to believe.

I was wondering if his athletic physique was just another part of the mystery or whether it was true... Or possibly a mix of both.

I know come the end of his life he was pretty beat up and worn out.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Also, there are indications he went for morning runs.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Ice baths. Smile
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Here's something I found in my clipping file. Sorry it's not large enough to read. But like Steve said, it appears running was a life-long activity for Houdini.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Dx6eu......copy.jpg
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Houdini was in pretty rough physical condition long before his death. He mentions in his diaries that the work is killing. Must find a better way.

With ruptured kidney, internal organs not in the their right positions, broken bones, teeth knocked out and much more, he might have been right thinking of new way to do something else besides escapes. I know I would have.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I love the subtle (or not so subtle) number 1 on his chest. It's those little touches that kept him at the top.

I also love the fact he was even able to get press by not doing escapes.

Kevin, have Houdini's diaries ever been published?

Also did he ever actually have a date he was planning to stop by? Seems crazy to keep going in the state he was actually in... Although if he had stopped would he be the legend he is today? Perhaps not.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdini's training programme (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL