The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Need To Run My Sound Rig Off Batteries (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Hey all! I need some advice.

I REALLY need to run my sound rig off batteries. My shows use the following:

- Fender Passport 300
- Two Shure Wireless PGX Mics
- MP3 Tech

I found a thread on here about the Duracell Powerpack 600, but I'm concerned about battery maintenance. The other items presented in that thread didn't seem to have enough oomph to get me through multiple shows.

The Fender Passport battery has been discontinued and isn't compatible with the 300. I had to upgrade because I lost my 250 to an auto accident.

What battery systems do you guys use for your shows? I'm not really interested in changing sound systems. Just finding battery power for the one I've got.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
You might want to look into this:
http://paulcbuff.com/vagabond.php

It's designed for use with studio flash units. It's also a pure sine wave inverter which is important with electronics. Cheaper inverters are modified sine wave which can damage electronics. The Vagabond Mini Lithium system works very well and doesn't have the maintenance issues that sealed lead acid battery systems have. The lithium battery doesn't have memory issues and it doesn't need any special maintenance.

The only thing I don't know is how long it will operate your sound system. It ran my small system for an hour without issue but it's only 30 watt sound system. They do have a 60-day money back guarantee.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Yeah... I looked at that one. My concern is that I run a 300 watt system... I don't know if that will support it...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Give them a call. They're really good with their customer support. It will work with your Passport. I'm just not sure how much time it will run. I know their older battery pack (Vagabond II) had a bigger battery than the Passport battery pack had.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I have been using my Duracell Powerpack 600 very successfully for the past 4 months without any challenges at all. I run a Fender Passport or Bose L1 (depending on the audience size) as well as two wireless mics and ipod from the Powerpack. It lasts for at least two shows that are 1 hour in length. Michael provides potential concerns above, but I keep my Powerpack plugged in at all times when not in use and have not seen a reduction in performance time. Time will tell if it can hold up over a long period of time, but so far, so good.
P.S. It is also quite small and not too heavy. If the Vagabond II turns out not to be a viable option, I would not hesitate to recommend the Duracell Powerpack 600.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

My only concern with the Duracell Powerpack 600 is that it uses a modified sine wave inverter and not a pure sine wave inverter. (That's according to the product sheet found here: http://www.duracellpower.com/documents/t......p600.pdf .)

A pure sine wave inverter supplies "clean" power to your PA, whereas a modified sine wave inverter isn't as clean. Using less than clean power can damage electronics that are sensitive. Nearly everything I've seen recommends using a pure sine wave inverter with a PA system and not a modified wave inverter.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Matthew, you want to consider checking out the Carvin Stagemate. It is relatively inexpensive for a PA system, and it cost a whole lot more than the Vagabond Mini Lithium system. You can get another speaker as an option if you need to run your system in stereo, or if you need more speaker coverage. It could serve as battery powered unit as well a backup system to your Passport. Michael could tell you more about it.
Mister Mystery
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
This is one of the reasons I use the Carvin StageMate and why I also use the Sennheiser camcorder wireless setup.
Everything runs on batteries.

One other benefit of that rig is that setup is blazing fast. No extension cords, no wondering if outlets are working, no plugging in and unplugging, etc.

Professional sound and all battery.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 11:43, Frank Starsini wrote:
This is one of the reasons I use the Carvin StageMate and why I also use the Sennheiser camcorder wireless setup.
Everything runs on batteries.

One other benefit of that rig is that setup is blazing fast. No extension cords, no wondering if outlets are working, no plugging in and unplugging, etc.

Professional sound and all battery.

Frank, can you give us some details on the camcorder wireless setup?

I would suggest purchasing the Stagemate directly from Carvin. That way, if there is a problem it can be taken care of easily. They have great customer service! You can aslo check out all the accessories that are available for the Stagemate system, such as vinyl covers, auto adapter, and optional speaker. I don't think you will beat the factory price anyway, because they sell directly to the costumer. Their bang-for-the-buck is very hard to beat.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/si......ct=S400D

They are located in California, but they ship fast. I have owned 2 Carvin mixers, 4 Carvin speakers, and 2 Carvin moniters, not to mention several Carvin microphones and a slew of cables. They usually get my gear clear across the country to me in about a week.
Mister Mystery
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

I can answer about the camcorder wireless setup because I made the switch after discussing it with Frank a couple of years ago. I am using a Sennheiser system (as is Frank):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EW122PG3-G/

The receiver is the same size as the body pack and uses 2 "AA" batteries. I did have to buy a separate headset mic to use with the system because I did not see a package that came with a headset mic instead of a lavalier mic. (Headsets aren't used much in video production.)

I was also able to save some money by buying a used G2 system instead of the G3 system. (They're close to the same with the G3 model having the auto scanning feature for frequencies.)
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Regan,

I believe most Carvin dealers have the units drop shipped directly from Carvin.

I know that is how Anchor Audio dose it.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Actually, Carvin only sells direct. If you look at the user name for the eBay auction, you'll see it's Carvincorporation so that's them selling directly on eBay.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I love my StageMate. I bought mine after Michael recommendation. Had it 6 years and it's going strong! I've got the extension speaker and it has great coverage.

Ken
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Michael's linking to the right item. Most gigs I go to, all I carry in is my microphone and wireless gizmos. I just plug it into the house PA system.
There is nothing easier in the world.

I also bought an inexpensive Sennheiser hyper-cardioid headset mic as Michael did which has completely eliminated any possibility for feedback. I've performed with this setup right in front of a huge PA speaker without so much as a chirp.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Sounds like a lot of positive words about the Carvin! I'll take a closer look...

So the Sennheiser... The receiver for the mic is battery too? I've got some old Sennheiser mics laying around. The receivers went bad but the actual headsets are still good.

I'm interested... Perhaps I could find a good used system on eBay...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

One other point... For those magicians constantly spending (wasting) money trying to find a "tiny, powerful, professional sounding" system for a large show... the holy grail (that does not exist, IMO)... when there's a house PA I just walk in with a case the size of a VHS box and I'm done setting up for sound in 3 minutes.

If there is no house system, then I just choose between my various PAs depending on the venue. 90% of the time it's the Carvin.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-25 20:38, Mystical Matthew wrote:
Sounds like a lot of positive words about the Carvin! I'll take a closer look...

So the Sennheiser... The receiver for the mic is battery too? I've got some old Sennheiser mics laying around. The receivers went bad but the actual headsets are still good.

I'm interested... Perhaps I could find a good used system on eBay...

I love my StageMate. It's one of only two PAs I now own. The other is a small PA for birthday parties and small libraries (Roland CM-30.) I got rid of all of my other PA systems when I found myself using the Carvin most of the time. It's really convenient, sounds good and doesn't need AC.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

That CM-30 is a VERY nice sounding amp as well. I was shocked.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-25 23:47, Frank Starsini wrote:
That CM-30 is a VERY nice sounding amp as well. I was shocked.

Yeah, I love that little PA. Incredible sound for a small speaker!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Need To Run My Sound Rig Off Batteries (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL