The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The "deepest" movie ever made (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The Deep? The Abyss?

No no. The "deepest" movie ever made is Blade Runner. I honestly believe I could get three or four philosophy lectures from that movie. Maybe a whole course.

Anything else come to mind?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Those two movies where folks took fancy drill vehicles down to the core of the earth, one with nukes?

Or perhaps the Hitchhiker's Guide where they take a tour of the planet under construction?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Given one of your interests, The Crow?

Also, since this is a magic site, The Illusionist.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Enjoyed Blade Runner quite a bit. It has a very different "feel" than the PKD novel. I think "Les Enfants du Paradis" is also very rich, quite a bit in there for people who are interested in performing arts in particular.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 17:19, stoneunhinged wrote:
The Deep? The Abyss?

No no. The "deepest" movie ever made is Blade Runner. I honestly believe I could get three or four philosophy lectures from that movie. Maybe a whole course.

Anything else come to mind?

The Island. Strongly recommended to you, if you haven't watched it. It takes less time to watch than it takes to read Bloom's Shakespeare book. Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 17:27, bblumen wrote:
Given one of your interests, The Crow?

Also, since this is a magic site, The Illusionist.

Brian

The Illusionist, really?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5853 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Videodrome.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 17:49, Tom Cutts wrote:
Videodrome.

"My father has not engaged in conversation for at least twenty years. The monologue is his preferred mode of discourse."

I love Cronenberg.

Dead Ringers is up there too:"I've often thought that there should be beauty contests for the insides of bodies."

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

How about "The Player" as conversation starter? Even the first shot should be good for a few lectures.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
As far as movies overtly about stage magic go, I thought The Prestige was deeper than The Illusionist, but The Illusionist does have a "happy" ending and Jessica Biel.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Slingblade.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Being John Malkovich

And I gotta tell ya Stoney. I'd LOVE to sit in on a philosophy lecture of yours using Blade Runner as the basis.

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Is this testing whether we're nerds or just whether we can imagine StoneUnhinged dressed in that outfit?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3543 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I would go with Unforgiven. The deep version of Huck Finn has not been made, but that would be great, especially on the question of the teleological suspension of the ethical--when Huck decides to go to hell rather than do the "right thing" and turn Jim in.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
John Ford's The Searchers. When it came out the critics just didn't understand the complex issues going on in that film. Now they do.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 21:56, Pop Haydn wrote:
I would go with Unforgiven. The deep version of Huck Finn has not been made, but that would be great, especially on the question of the teleological suspension of the ethical--when Huck decides to go to hell rather than do the "right thing" and turn Jim in.

SLING BLADE SPOILER BELOW

Two good calls, and I think the Huck Finn comment echoes the suggestion for Sling Blade, when Carl decides to return to his own hell by doing the "wrong" thing and saving the Wheatleys (by killing Doyle). It also challenges our sense of binaries and "knowledge" (particularly moral knowledge) when we spend the first 95% of the movie pondering the false dichotomy - is Carl cured, and therefore will not kill again; or is he insane, and therefore will kill again? The realization that he could be perfectly sane, and choose to commit murder, fully aware of the implications, including his loss of freedom as a sacrifice for his friend, is the ultimate sucker punch.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Like Whit's Huck Finn, I don't think it's been made yet, but Frankenstein would be another.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 22:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Like Whit's Huck Finn, I don't think it's been made yet, but Frankenstein would be another.

Bride of Frankenstein is my all time favorite movie.
And I do think it was pretty deep, but with a sense of humor that kept it from being overbearing.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Joseph Losey's and Harold Pinter's The Servant with Dirk Bogarde.

At least I thought so when I was a kid.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 21:56, Pop Haydn wrote:
I would go with Unforgiven.

True, that. I got obsessed with that movie once. Watched it about 20 times in two weeks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The "deepest" movie ever made (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL