The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Lottery? Odds on a phone number (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Forgive me, but high school math was a long time ago: how would one determine the odds of randomly selecting a telephone number (10 digits) from out of the air (so, no forces)? Sort of like the Human Phone Number trick (which is no longer being made) but with an explanation of how hard it would truly be.

If I recall the lottery (6/49) math correctly, it is 49x48x47...divide by 6x5x4...yes? So, how to apply that to a telephone number (if it is correct)?

Lee
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Phone numbers are a little different from the lottery because the numbers in a phone number may repeat, and they have a distinct order.

If you assume that any digit can be used for any place in the phone number, and that digits may repeat, then for each place you have 10 choices, so the number of 10-digit phone numbers you're looking at is 10x10x10x10...x 10= 10^10 = 10,000,000,000 possible phone numbers. The probability of randomly matching such a number would be 1 out of 10,000,000,000.

In actual practice, the first number is somewhat restricted--I don't think (though I may be wrong now) any area code can begin with a zero or one. The same for the first number of the seven digit local number. There are also certain restricted exchanges such as 555, but this doesn't affect the total that much. If we eliminate the zero or one in the first and fourth places then we have 8x 10 x 10 x 8 x 10 . . . x 10 = 64x10^8 or 6,400,000,000 possible phone numbers.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 22:22, landmark wrote:
6,400,000,000 possible phone numbers.

Which is about the same as the number of people on the planet.

Mike
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I guess those new born babies are just going to have to use email. Smile
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Fabulous! Thank you so much!

Lee
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Hey Lee. Sorry I couldn't make it out on Saturday.

For the Lotto 6/49, I have used the following. If you started in downtown Edmonton and laid loonies edge to edge all the way down Highway 2 to Downtown Calgary, it would take the same number of coins as there are possible Lotto 6/49 tickets. Now if one coin were Tails up, with all the others Heads up, the Tail would be the winning ticket. So here's the game. You pay me to walk down Highway 2 blindfolded until you feel like picking up a coin. Get the tail and you win.

As for the phone numbers, Landmark is correct.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
John - can I use my own blindfold?

Grinning,

Lee
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
This is similar to a question I have, I must be bad at maths as I still cant answer it, so could anyone tell me the odds on this..

free choice of 1 of 52 cards, free choice of 1 of 5 evelopes containing a different prediction, what are the odds of a match?
sorry if this is classed as hijacking, its not my intention -just pretty related.

thank you in advance.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
1 in 52 - the number of envelopes is irrelevant.

Mike
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Thanks Mike, not the answer I expected though, disappointing really.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Catweazle -

Then start your own thread and ask the question. Mike is correct.

Lee
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Funny thing about apparent odds vs. true odds: When I used to do the invisible deck presentation where 2 people would each shuffle a deck, then deal out cards face-up until there was a matching pair (which was revealed to match the card facing the other way in the invisible deck), I would often mention the odds.

Whenever I said the odds were 1 in 52 of a match (the true odds), people would inevitably correct me and mention that odds should be far greater, like 1 in 2500 (50 times 50 - an estimate often used when they couldn't square 52 in their head). Whenever I claimed the odds of a match were 1 in over 2,700 (1 in 2,704 - the wrong odds), I'd only get corrected on this by people who knew and understood probability, which didn't happen that often.

In that case, I unfortunately had to lean towards the wrong odds for a presentation with a smoother flow.

I remember one presentation where I specifically KNEW there was a statistics teacher in my audience, and I still remember the patter line:

[speaking to everyone at the table]

"...and the odds of any card matching are over 1 in 2,700!"

[leans toward statistics professor and whispers without missing a beat]

"Yes, I know. Shhh..."

(He smiled.)
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Prepared for your audience? A true magician!

Grinning,

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Lottery? Odds on a phone number (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL