The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » John Novak series (and Intro) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Greetings all
I intended that my first post would be more of an introduction, but now I have another question, so I'll keep the intro short.

I am developing an interest in Escapes - I use a generic word as I'm not sure whether I will end up going in the direction of escape magic, or true Escapology.
I come to this from a background of juggling (occasional performing), and a lifelong love of circus arts. I have always been fascinated with magic, and have paid some of my dues by making several bad purchases as many beginners do when we see that "awesome trick that anyone can do".

Thanks to this forum, I am beginning to learn just how much there is to learn. I have recently invested in some of the traditional texts (eg. Tarbell) and am beginning the journey of understanding just what it is to be a magician / escape artist.

That being said, I believe I would be very well served by reading the John Novak series, and I have begun to search for these rare booklets.
Unfortunately I cannot find a complete set available (tried E-Bay & Cannon's, as well as a general google search).
Can anyone recommend a source for the complete John Novak "The Art of Escape" series?

Thank you to everyone who gives of their wisdom on these forums, and a particular thanks to Roslyn and Jay Leslie for their help via PM. It is all very much appreciated by a humble apprentice.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Welcome! I think I saw a set a week or so ago in the book section of the Café. I don't know if you need 50 posts to get or to post there, but maybe someone else might know.

Good Luck!

Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hello again,

I think Kevin is right about the needing 50 posts to gain access to the for sale section of the Café, but the set that was available then was sold... These books don't hang about. Didn't John Bushy take what little stock The Cannons didn't sell during their closing down sale? I can't remember the link, but I'm sure if you do a search here in All Tied Up you'll find the thread. He may have some copies left.

I got my set second hand from the late Pete McCahon, and it seems the second hand market is the best way to get them. But I'd expect to pay around $15 - $20 per book and there's 8 books in total.

If you don't mind getting them from overseas (I'm assuming you're in the US) you could visit Magic Books by Post. I found them here priced at £12. I don't know what that is in USD.

The link for MBBP is: http://www.magicbooksbypost.co.uk I just did an author search for Novak and it found all 8. I've use these guys A LOT over the years and they usually have what I need.

Good luck,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
You can order the entire series from Abbott's Magic Co.:

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Escapes_c18.htm

(check toward the bottom of the page)
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Thank you all for the replies - it looks like while there aren't any books currently available on the second hand market - there is a source for new books both in the USA and the UK.
A bit of an investment, but from what I hear it will be worth it.
Thanks again for the guidance.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
One quick comment: I was very UNIMPRESSED with the "Metamorphosis" volume.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9489 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2011-10-25 05:05, Roslyn wrote:
Didn't John Bushy take what little stock The Cannons didn't sell during their closing down sale? I can't remember the link, but I'm sure if you do a search here in All Tied Up you'll find the thread. He may have some copies left.
Ros

Ros.

I paid for the copyrights to two Novak books, from the Cannons, and have some copies available. I also have Arthur Coghland's brilliant book, which is for sale at 50 percent of the original price.

John is working with Ian on the metal items, to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks

http://www.thehouseofenchantment.com/pag......ooks.jpg
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Ah, sorry Jay. Didn't know... But now I do Smile

The Coghlan book is really good. I highly recommend it.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9489 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
It's absolutely amazing what Arthur did with s-----r . His DVD has some really cool stuff too.
- - - -

On a completely unrelated subject Ros,

Why are there no fluffy bunnies in your new business? Do you shave or pluck their hair? I hope you're not using a torch... Then again waxing bunnies would be the worst, I imagine. And why am I imagining bunnies being waxed, don't I have something better to do?
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Would the Arthur Coghland book be "wasted" on a newbie? It looks like it might be a good book for someone working on the bigger, high publicity type stunts. Would I be better advised to spend limited cash on other works (although the 50% off might make it worthwhile anyway)?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
The book teaches what Arthur did to gain publicity for his magic act. He used escapes to promote himself, his business and his clients. If that's what you want to learn about then get it. If you're looking for escapes you can use on a stage or for a smaller show it may not be for you.

I really enjoyed learning how another EA worked. The methods for things are taught but that didn't interest me as much as seeing where he worked and the kind of publicity he got... Which was A LOT!

With regards to his methods, they are his methods. They worked for him and may not be right for you.

In my opinion, get the Novak books. Learn from them. I'd also recommend getting Jay's 100' rope tie DVD. This is a great piece and can be used on stage as part of a show but can also be used as a small publicity stunt too. It'll be your first challenge. Well worth learning.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
If you get one piece of information from any book, it is usually worth the cost of the book. I know Arthur and I have his book, if nothing else at least it should inspire you to do something or have a higher goal. I was delighted by the mechanics of his escapes and I have followed his work for 30 years. So each reader will get something different.
When I was young, and read my first book about Houdini, I dreamed. Over 35 years since then, I am very happy with my part of the art of escapes and how many EA's I have helped.
No One book will give you what you seek.
Ian
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Thanks Roslyn,
As always, your thoughts are much appreciated and gratefully received. I have the Novak books on order, and have sent a PM to Jay. He already suggested I get the 100' rope tie DVD in the near future once I have mastered the SJ which is in my mailbox. I will look into getting it sooner rather than later.
Now I need to find a "training partner", this stuff is kinda hard to work on alone (and ill-advised for obvious safety reasons) Smile
All the best
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Ian
I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on books. Even if I never attempted an escape of Arthur's scale, I suspect it would be an interesting read, and would probably feed my pursuit of whatever escape goals I may have. Dreams and inspiration - it's powerful stuff, and many of us who find ourselves living at least some of our dreams realize the necessity of those "impossible" ideals.

I always enjoy reading about people who have lived their lives with passion. It's becoming a bit of a rarity these days, but to do anything less really isn't living is it...?
Best
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » John Novak series (and Intro) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL