The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Aftershave (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
We've never done this topic. I checked. We've done almost everything else under the sun. But not aftershave.

Use it? What? Something old and traditional, like Old Spice? Something exotic and imported, like Pitralon? Something non-alcoholic? Something feminine? Do you follow it with cologne? What?

We've done shaving, but not aftershave. It's a missing link in our discussion of everything.

I myself want to change. Normally I don't use anything at all. If my face feels irritated I use a teeny-tiny amount of moisturizer. If I feel the need for some "sting", I use a cheap bay rum.

I rarely used cologne, but when I do it's just a drop or two of 4711, which is marketed as a woman's eau de cologne but smells to me like one of those paper-packaged towelettes they give you to wipe your hands with after eating ribs. Smells clean. I like to smell clean. The only cologne I used to wear with any regularity was Dunhill. But I still have an unfinished bottle, twenty years on.

So, weigh in, folks.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I love Old Spice- brings back my dad getting ready for work and other neat memories. Plus, it is a great smell, the cologne lasts all day, and it is relatively cheap. I do have a woman who buys me a continual supply of Opium for Men- very exotic. Don't know if any of this helps get you laid, but it is fun to think it might...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Although I love the smells of good perfumes, perfume doesn't agree with my skin. I can't even use perfumed soap without coming out red blotches. I have a few that put cloths more or less and I liked that film “Perfume”.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I used Nivea aftershave balm, then I ran out...I probably should restock. I thought about getting Old Spice, then a girl who works in my office said, "Wow, someone put too much cheap aftershave on today. It smells like Old Spice out there!" So I didn't, so I could pretend to be cool.

But I'm not that cool, I still use Old Spice deodorant. Have we done a deodorant thread? Sorry for hijacking this one.

Aftershave is for sissies. So are razors and shaving cream. I use spit and my Bowie knife!
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
No "aftershave" here, but do use use Proactiv to keep my skin clear and I'd guess that the Step 2 "toner" is kinda the same? Stings a bit after shaving but feels cleeeean.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Old Spice classic.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I alternate between trying to dress somewhat put-together and dressing like a slovenly grad student, on a roughly five year cycle. Even when I'm at the zenith of my dressing put-together stage, I still can't get in the habit of using aftershave with any regularity. When I do, I use a relatively fancy Bulgari aftershave that I got in a cologne/deodorant/aftershave set. But that tiny bottle has lasted me more than five years, and I don't think I'm even halfway through.

It smells nice and feels fine. But a few hours after shaving, I can't really notice a difference. Or, perhaps more importantly, neither can my wife.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
When I graduated from High School I got a ton of the stuff as graduation gifts from many of my parents friends and co-workers. Obviously they failed to look at the graduation picture that came enclosed in the announcement as it showed me sporting a full beard. I eventually just threw the stuff out as I had no use for it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I don't use aftershave, but when I do get a straight razor shave they splash on something along with some skin cream (Noxema I think). My schedule doesn't allow me the time to get the barber treatment too often but it is a luxury that I allow myself when time provides.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I use Hugo aftershave and cologne.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't use aftershave, but on some occasions, I'll use cologne. I always got a kick out of Grandpa on "The Lost Boys" splashing on Windex before a hot date.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I hate perfume smells. Old Spice is okay. Bay Rum is okay. The rare occasions that I have used aftershave it has been Old Spice.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I don't use it too often. I tried using Old Spice once but if I remember correctly my skin reacted to it like Tommy described so I don't use that at all. Colognes I will use once in a blue moon. But I don't douse myself in it like so many people do. You aren't supposed to know someone was in a room 20 mins after they have left because their cologne is still hanging in the air. Those that put too much on you have to wonder if they don't take showers or baths often so they have to try and make themselves not stand out by smelling bad.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Most times, skin reactions to products like this are due to the complex organic chemicals in the fragrances. Some of the newer Old Spice fragrances irritate my skin, so I just stick to the classic.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Most of the time it has to do with their sense of smell. They keep putting it on until they smell it. The Kuwaiti women have a tendency to go heavy with their perfumes at times. It lingers for a long time in the elevator.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Since I needed to buy a few drug store items, I got curious and checked out the aftershaves in the local drug store. They had Old Spice in a couple of different sizes. That stuff must be international. But to be honest, I can't remember what it smells like. Should have bought some, I suppose. Actually, now that I think about it, why didn't I? Just a few bucks for nostalgia's sake.

In general, here in Göttingen people don't dress up or wear a lot of perfume. It's a college town, with a college town's dress down mentality. Professors wear tweed, but no one is running around in Armani suits, if you know what I mean. Don't know how it is elsewhere in Germany.

Now I'm a bit obsessed. Why didn't I buy the cheapest bottle of Old Spice, just to remember how it smells? Maybe I'd like it. Maybe the OOMA would like it.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
I'm with you Payne. Throughout high school in the early 60's I was sent home many a times to shave off a goatee, stash,sideburns, or full beard I would sneak by with for a week or two. After high school I went straight to work on a full out beard. I remember one birthday gathering at my family's home with friends as well, and I received about 7 bottles of aftershave. No, I didn't take the hint. I just wondered why so many people just wasted money on thoughtless "gifts"?

I bought an antique vent figure once belonging to Max Terhune and the headstick was so imbedded with cologne I had to use a wood scraper to take it down about 3/32" all around to get rid of it. Whoever used it before me must have been one sick puppy to have to think he was so cool to reek so.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
While you're at it buy a pipe and some tobacco. Between the Old Spice and the pipe, you'll bring back memories of the old men of your youth. Can you whistle? That would add to the mood.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Straight alcohol. Feel the burn!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Remember the old Skin Bracer commercials?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtcHdDyEvo&feature=related

Thanks! I needed that!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Aftershave (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL