The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2011 entrée: Alain Nu » » Memory » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Alain,

I thought of one of those serious questions. Do you use any memory techniques, if not even memory demonstrations. If so, which system do you find best, those taught by Dominic O’Brien or Harry Lorayne?

I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on the subject.
Alain Nu
View Profile
V.I.P.
256 Posts

Profile of Alain Nu
I learned from reading Lorayne's books, but they ALL work. I've used a variation of Cassidy's card memory routine, my own magazine memory effect (based on Lorayne's) of which I added a fair amount of original work to, among others. At the height of my doing it, I was remembering an average of 75 to 130 names within a show.

One thing to consider in doing a memory show, is that people will come to you asking you for help with their memory and you should be prepared for this! This means you will be seen as a memory expert, and therefore should expect to carry the weight of that title at all times. Not that that's a problem, but many of us start by thinking that by adding something like that into our shows helps to add another dimension to one's show, but instead what we end up finding out is that the topic itself is so all-encompassing that AN ENTIRE SHOW can be seen revolving around just that singular topic alone.

Memory demonstrations, hypnosis, Q&A, PK/Bending/Mind Matter Interaction, ESP... each can be seen as a mentalism premise, but they can also be seen as whole entire programs. One of my goals has been to try to elaborate on each of those subjects until I have built whole programs (and thus a fairly genuine expertise) around each subject. Being a father, however, has slowed my process down on that front, but it IS developing! My ESP in Espionage show for instance, which just finished 14 shows at the International Spy Museum in DC was themed in this manner, and essentially added an entire show around the exploration of remote viewing and Psychic Spies. So now I have TWO formal one-man shows which I can pitch...

The main idea of doing ANY good memory presentation revolves around doing something amazing, then teaching your audience something that allows for them to go home and impress their kids and co-workers, then doing something even more amazing. It's a great corporate program, but you can't be a hack and get away with it easily... What's your name again? That sort of thing.

Alain
Alain Nu
View Profile
V.I.P.
256 Posts

Profile of Alain Nu
BTW, I remember that photo!!!

Alain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2011 entrée: Alain Nu » » Memory » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL