The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Koran's Ring Flight question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Pete is right and there is no reason to take him to task for what he posted. Karol Fox also had an non gaff version of ring flight.

I think I first read in Pete's The Real Works in Genii about Fred having come up with a non gaff version of R.F. I liked that idea when I first read of it and I still do.

Pete post this about Fred's Ring Flight anytime this type of question comes up on R.F. if some don't like you saying it. Oh well.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm too olde to be offended.
Here's what Kaps did. He had a key case sticking up a bit out of his rear trousers pocket. He would do the Clifton Ring Move to vanish the ring. Then he'd reach back for his case and slip the ring onto the clip. Nothing simpler. I his hands it was perfect.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I remember that is what you wrote up in the real works as well. It was a very good idea then and I think it's a still a very good idea and way to do it sans,reel or t.t. maybe the best way for some.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Where is the Clifton Ring Move published?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Clifton Ring move is found in any number of routines. It is the one where the ends of the string/rope/lace is crossed over the back of the closed fist.

Clifton’s Ring Move, Emile Clifton published in “Variations” by Earl Nelson. Long out of print but was revisited by Mike Chavney in “Variations Revisited”.

http://www.mcmagicwords.com/books_variations_revisited.html

Or if you can find the DVD it is on the “Lost Tapes of Earl Nelson” (good luck).

The easiest place to find it is in Pete Brio’s book “The Magic of Emile Clifton”.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/product/othe......1991.htm
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The Clifton Move is used in Wedding Ring Redux in my book Kingdom of the Red. It is explained in detail in the book and also performed and explained on the companion DVD.

Larry Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry, that is what I thought, it was in an out of print book. As I remember, when the book was reprinted, I believe by Mark Wilson with some corrected error in that were in the original, they took out the Clifton Move. No idea if it is actually in the Mike Caveney publication. don't't want to buy a book and the information not be in it.

Can't buy Pete Biro's book, he wants me to find my own methods. He is just know help and he is so old, he probably got the move wrong anyway.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Variations Revisited is still available at least it was just a week ago via Denny&Lee's. I seen a copy or to of it in the Vegas shop. I'm not sure if the DVD's are hard to find I know the original VHS tapes that the Lost tapes are made from are scarcer than hen's teeth now a days.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hegblini... thanks for making it PERSONAL. OPENLY GIVE ME YOUR MAILING ADDRESS HERE AND I'LL SEND THE CLIFTON BOOK TO YOU FREE.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've used the Fred Kaps methodology without realizing it was his! I didn't come up with it independently(i'm frankly not that bright or skilled). I got the idea from Mark Leveridge sometime in the mid 70s. He said it was Karrell Fox's idea. Now Fox's idea included "working" the clasp for an quick put on of the ring. Leveridge took it a step further and fixed the clasp so that it was pretty much foolproof in getting the ring on in an instant and without fumbling. I don't really know how or what Fred Kaps did beyond what Pete wrote.

The Key and Ring transposition theme always seemed logical to me. in my mind it gave reason to go for the key case. I used to do the swap (key for ring) under a handkerchief and then have the spectator hold the handkerchief that "held "their ring (really the key). It delayed the vanish, provided texture to the routine, and gave a sort of "logic" for going for the key chain. I believe that Mike Close's routine was the first in print using this transposition theme.

A routine based on this theme is very easy to build and does mystify. While Ring Flight is mainly a close-up piece it does lend itself to a cabaret or platform presentation. Thanks to Al Koran for starting the whole mess!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Good idea Harry. Karrell Fox did publish that method in one of his books I don't remember which one as I don't have it but I had seen it years ago when I was looking at the book. Doing Ring Flight with a non gaffed key case seems a natural progression from the Koran method. I'm kind of surprised that not more had thought about going that route.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
PMFJI, but it is KARRELL FOX
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yep, I stand corrected and have no excuse for misspelling Karrell's name! My bad! I've had it edited to correct it. Thanks for catching it Pete.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I knew I was wrong too but didn't look to see the correct spelling either. Sorry guys. Thank you Pete for the correction. I for one appreciate the information you post and have learned quite a bit from "The Real Works" that was in Genii back in the 70's and 80's As well as your posts here.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks to all, for your posts, including Hegblini's. Smile

Hegblini, sir: ... still waiting for your address Smile
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Karrell Fox's version of Ring Flight is known as the "Trick-Key Case" and is described in "Another Book" (Supreme Magic Co. Ltd, 1979) on pages 41 to 43. Mark Leveridge's excellent improvement on this is available from his website. It is known as Fly-Ring and is an extremely practical version for walk-around as it requires no reset. The routine that comes with it involves threading the ring on a string, only to have the ring transform into a key, which brings us back to the first post in this thread!

I have used my own reelless version for close-up for over 10 years that is very similar to Gaeton Bloom's version but doesn't involve attaching the ring to a clasp, so there is no fumbling. It involves a very unusual leather keyring holder that I found in a high-end gentleman's store. Unfortunately I've never seen another quite like it, so I guess it'll remain unique with me.

Bill Abbott has just released "The Sting" by Lou Leventhal. I've been playing with this for the last week and really think it's an excellent routine for cabaret/stage shows. It doesn't come with a Ring Flight, but you probably have a reel version already. If you have the Kaznetsis' locking version, as I have, you'll particularly like it! I have been using CW's Gumball regularly for 15 years or so for stage/platform shows, always to great response, so I am looking forward to trying this version as a replacement to see if it plays as well. If it does, it will mean one less prop to lug around.

Pete, what a delight it was to view the videos on your website. It's a real pleasure to watch a consummate professional at work. I remember seeing photos of the roller-skating multiplying bottles act in Genii MANY years ago. I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now - wonderful stuff!

Wow, what a disjointed, rambling post this was!

Allan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Allan: Thanks for your kind words. Sounds like you figured it out to make YOUR WAY WORK.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 12:39pm
Hegblini: You seem to have your PM link turned off. If you can, send me a pm with your mailing address, I've got the Clifton book ready to mail you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Koran's Ring Flight question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL