The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lollapalooza (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hello every one

My girlfriend Emma left me awhile ago and in my recent slump I have been listening to a lot more music. I am a big grunge fan: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains etc., etc. I was reading a book on the death of Kurt Cobain and they were speaking about Lollapalooza I was just wondering if it is still around, is it? I know Ozzfest is still going strong but the day grunge died was the day Kurt Cobain died, it was never quite the same. There are bands around now with slight grunge tendencies such as the Foo Fighters, Lostprophets, and The Darkness. Are there any other magicians out there who like grunge music? Over here in Britain you hear more pop music than you do rock. The only number one hits that were rock as of late have been Evanesence and Limp Bizkit about two years ago. My ex-girlfriend Emma was a huge pop fan. Every time I was with her and there was a cd player nearby she would put rubbish like Westlife on. Also has anyone seen Franz Harrary's new look? He looks like a goth.

Luke Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
I prefer heaver stuff, my favourite band being Black Sabbath. Nirvana were brilliant but a lot of their stuff was ripped (listen to The Pixies and you will hear striking similarities). Funnily enough Ozzfest was a rebellion against Lollapalooza. Ozzy Osbourne tried to get himself booked and the managers of Lollapalooza said he wouldn't fit in. Ozzy then created Ozzfest which is much better just to stick two good old heavy rock fingers up to them.

Modern rock (aka the type of rock that gets into the charts here in the U.K.) is talentless pop like Evanescence.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Lolla is a lot more "hippy" rock. Like Jane's Adiction and other bands like that.

I agree Welsh, a lot of rock today is horrible.

Lee
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Lollapalooza was back touring this past summer. We performed there this year. Kristen did her Water Torture Cell and it rocked that audience. She was under for over a minute 45 seconds, that blew the audience away. We have had better festivals this summer, but Lollapalooza was great exposure for us.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Ah Black Sabbath they rock! I mostly have grunge music but I do have some heavy stuff Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath it is much better than the manufactured pop rock bilge that is being played today. I quite like Janes Addiction there new album Strays is good. I have heard a few Pixies songs but they are few and far between, you see them on the music channels sometimes. They were one of Kurt Cobain's favourite bands that's probably why they sound alike. The thing that gets me is people seem to think Nirvana were a flash in the pan, they are best remembered for Smells Like Teen Spirit which is good, just not their best stuff. What did you think of there later albums after Nevermind? They had a harder sound to them I always thought.
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Quote:
I have heard a few Pixies songs but they are few and far between, you see them on the music channels sometimes. They were one of Kurt Cobain's favourite bands that's probably why they sound alike. The thing that gets me is people seem to think Nirvana were a flash in the pan, they are best remembered for Smells Like Teen Spirit which is good, just not their best stuff. What did you think of there later albums after Nevermind? They had a harder sound to them I always thought-Luke Sherratt

Most of the music in the charts now is complete and utter rubbish. Talentless pop idiocy and something almost as bad called "urban" music. Even music I don't like such as jazz I appreciate because it is genuine but there is nothing good anymore. "Pop" is leaking into films as well now as well. I went to the cinema yesterday and saw an advert for something called The Lizzy Maguire movie. I was speechless. It looked like complete drivel. Meanwhile talented actors and musicians have absolutely no luck.

Sorry for ranting. I am a self-appointed pop hater.
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
149 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
Anyone see the new trick Lollapalooza??
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Pop music is ecompassed by any music that follows the pop format of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus

This includes a large chunk of music including: Nirvana, Britney Spears, Most "punk" bands, a lot of Metallica, Shania Twain, etc.

It's all the same format folks, just different instrumentation.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2003-09-08 11:19, Welshwizard wrote:

Most of the music in the charts now is complete and utter rubbish. Talentless pop idiocy and something almost as bad called "urban" music.

there is nothing good anymore.

This last part is a false conclusion; there's a lot of good music...it's simply not in the charts. That'd be like looking at the popularity of McDonalds and concluding that there aren't any good restaurants anymore.

Try http://www.pandora.com the "Music Genome" project. If you give it the names of some artists or songs you like, it will offer other songs you might like (some recent, some older), and as you give "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" to them, it more accurately assesses your taste. Free, self-directed internet radio.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Oh, and no commercials!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lollapalooza (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL