We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nerds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I am a nerd.

(But I'm not a geek. I have my standards.)

Anyone else wanna come out of the closet?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5898 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Geeks have risen above nerds in the pecking order. Thank the show Glee and the obvious slang "Gleeks" for that one.

Geeks are now, anyone overly obsessed in a subject.

Nerds are still, well, stuck down with the dorks.

The revengers have become geeks.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nerds took a big step forward when all of that time spent on school was followed by many of them getting wealthy. Of course, that was before we learned that the two had nothing to do with each other, as financial success in life has nothing to do with personal choices.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 13:02, Tom Cutts wrote:
Geeks have risen above nerds in the pecking order. Thank the show Glee and the obvious slang "Gleeks" for that one.

Geeks are now, anyone overly obsessed in a subject.

Nerds are still, well, stuck down with the dorks.

The revengers have become geeks.

LOL and then some!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4841 Posts

Profile of gdw
Geeks took a big step forward long before Glee.

The swarm of very successful comic book, sci-fi and fantasy films helped a lot, as well as the ever growing electronics entertainment industry.

I've always considered a geek to be one more focused on a subject, or genre, and a nerd to be, well, someone just nerdy Smile
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 13:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
...as financial success in life has nothing to do with personal choices.

I know what you mean. But there are a few nerd/geek types who won the lottery, "financially" speaking.

There is an interesting passage in Aristotle's "Politics". He tells a story about a philosopher who made a killing, "financially" speaking, by predicting the grape harvest according to the weather. The point seems to be: "I am not a nerd; I could be filthy rich if I applied my talents to making money". Philosophers (according to Aristotle) could always be rich, if that's what they wanted.

So much for Aristotle.

I'm a nerdy philosopher, and I am not personally rich.

(Actually, I'm rich; but I married a very wealthy woman. I don't count that as being "rich", especially since we're separated and I'm the kind of guy who says, "poopoo on your money, you filthy be-atch".)

(That was too much to put into a Magic Café post. I know. I'm weird right now. Sorry. My sister is dying and I'm just freaking out royally.)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3652 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you mean do I love SciFi (not horror) and Science. Then yes, I am a Nerd.

If you mean, am I good at Math?, not so much.

I'm more into the theory of Quantum Physics than actual practice, although I do manage to fall down when I trip. Perhaps I'm more Newtonian in my approach.

-Mary Mowder
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
For a long time I was a computer programmer. I think that officially made me a nerd. Of course my comic book collection probably helped.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
I'm more of a dork (no, not a whale ***, the other dork) myself. Or maybe a weirdo. Not sure where that ranks in the lineup of nerds, geeks, etc.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter

"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4841 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 13:50, rockwall wrote:
For a long time I was a computer programmer. I think that officially made me a nerd. Of course my comic book collection probably helped.

Comic books would definitely make you a geek. That's not to say you can't be both. I think nerd is more inherent, and geek is more about what your interests and what you do.
Unless it's just pure academics, then I'd say that still qualifies as nerd.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Nerds took a big step forward when all of that time spent on school was followed by many of them getting wealthy. Of course, that was before we learned that the two had nothing to do with each other, as financial success in life has nothing to do with personal choices.

No one said personal choices weren't important. Willie Sutton made lots of them.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
You guys are on a magic forum... I think that answers the question.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4841 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 16:41, Salguod Nairb wrote:
You guys are on a magic forum... I think that answers the question.

Lol, I'm surprised it took that long.

MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
In the past, I:

- programmed computers since about age 5,
- spent untold hours playing video games, starting with the Commodore 64 catalog,
- earned a high school varsity letter in... chess,
- also competed in academic prize exams, advancing to the national mathematics and chemistry olympiads in high school, and did pretty well on the Putnam exam in college,
- worn exclusively black sweatpants and t-shirts from about age 12 to age 25, and didn't cut my hair during that period,
- got my first job in high school at a video game place called "virtual world," and currently work with technology...

But, I am not now nor have I ever been a nerd or a geek. Just a normal guy with sometimes unusual interests. Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:

Why did I miss the sarcasm in this post the first time around?

Sorry.

Sometimes I can be reaaaaaaaaally slow.

I'm a dumb nerd, if there can be such a thing. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 12:34, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:

Why did I miss the sarcasm in this post the first time around? Btw, when *I* do it, I prefer the term 'irony'.

Sorry.

Sometimes I can be reaaaaaaaaally slow.

I'm a dumb nerd, if there can be such a thing. Smile

Gotta keep you on your toes, Stone!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5725 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 13:47, stoneunhinged wrote:

(That was too much to put into a Magic Café post. I know. I'm weird right now. Sorry. My sister is dying and I'm just freaking out royally.)

Sorry to hear that my friend. Smile

My prayers for her and you.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Stone, my deepest sympathies to you for your sister.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nerds (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL