The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who will buy . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16347 Posts

Profile of tommy
You rent a job lot.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
This is a temporary issue that will go away wehn thetechnology develops further. It will be possible, within the lifetimes of people now living, to grow or manufacture new kidneys from a patient's own cells, eliminating the need for other donors. None of the solutions proposed to fix the problem of the organ shortage in the interim are completely satisfactory, and all have problems of their own.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 22:05, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 21:06, RS1963 wrote:
Oh Lord! LMAO I'm laughing too hard to even explain to you who I was talking about.

I thought it was clear I knew who you were referring to, and who you were addressing, hence why I emphasised who I'M talking to. Man, you really are dense.

That was exactly the responce I expected.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
The problem I see with selling of oncse organs one of the many problems. That seller isn't gong to be able to pay his or her own medical bills for the operation to harvest the organ in a good many cases. So who will end up footing the bill for that? The taxpayers for the most part. This isn't going to happen in all cases but a good many it will. Allowing people to see their own parts is not a viable option by any means.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 22:16, Turk wrote:
the male s*p*e*r**donor who is paid (handsomely) to donate his s*p*e*r** to a childless couple.

The money I've let slip through my fingers.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 11:03, RS1963 wrote:

That seller isn't gong to be able to pay his or her own medical bills for the operation to harvest the organ in a good many cases. So who will end up footing the bill for that? The taxpayers for the most part. This isn't going to happen in all cases but a good many it will.

It seems far more likely that the customer receiving the organ would be the one responsible for covering expenses. Just like the purchasers of an item on eBay or Amazon has to pay shipping / delivery expenses. Or that the medical bills for harvesting an organ would be deducted from the payment for the organ. Either way, I don't see why taxpayers would have to be involved in a private transaction like this.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Balducci all for the same reasons tax payers have to foot the bill when the uninsured or ones that have insurance but can't meet their deductable whatever else, are treated at County hospitals etc... At least that is the way it is in Nevada I would imagine it can be close to the same in other areas of the country as well. There are many other reasons why allowing people to sell their organs won't work.

You are right it probably would be the one that is receiving the organ that would pay for it all or most of it anyway. But again there are many that before they even get a transplant have to raise the money via donations given to them by way of fund raisers etc... Even in those cases the tax payer's are still footing a good chunk of the bill if the transplant takes place.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Yes, but those examples are cases in which PURCHASERS cannot meet their bills for the services they are buying. Here, we were talking about the SELLER of a product / organ. The expenses for harvesting the organ are easily tied into the purchase price. The SELLER isn't going to have to worry about the medical bills for harvesting his or her own organ. The purchaser would. Or the purchaser's insurance company.

Indeed, the overall costs for an organ transplant might even go down (compared to today) as the availability of organs on the market increases. Yay, for the free market economy!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
It isn't going to work no matter what. In the end it would cause an even bigger mess than there is now when it comes to medical bills, taxpayers having to foot some of that as well as so many other problems that could and will happen if selling of organs are allowed.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 02:21, Dr. Van Van Mojo wrote:
You guys might want to give this a read. Very interesting book.
The Red Market: On the Trail of the Worl......t Carney

We all understand that this type of thing goes on...particularly in 3rd world countries.

With all due respect, the fact situations presented in any such book become irrelevant to the discussion at hand if we agree that, in modern advanced societies, if the state was to agree to allow the "for profit" organ donation business to occur, the state would, of course, impose strict guidelines and oversight (and heavy penalties and sanctions for violation of same). Worst case scenarios always cloud the issue and are seemingly designed to have inaction and non-resolution of the issue/proposition as their ultimate goal.

Quote:
On 2011-10-30 09:39, Woland wrote:
This is a temporary issue that will go away wehn thetechnology develops further. It will be possible, within the lifetimes of people now living, to grow or manufacture new kidneys from a patient's own cells, eliminating the need for other donors. None of the solutions proposed to fix the problem of the organ shortage in the interim are completely satisfactory, and all have problems of their own.

This would be the ideal solution and I know that research is being done in this regard as we speak. (Think stem cell research as one example.)

Quote:
On 2011-10-30 11:03, RS1963 wrote:
The problem I see with selling of oncse organs one of the many problems. That seller isn't gong to be able to pay his or her own medical bills for the operation to harvest the organ in a good many cases. So who will end up footing the bill for that? The taxpayers for the most part. This isn't going to happen in all cases but a good many it will. Allowing people to see their own parts is not a viable option by any means.

Respectfully, I don't understand how or why the issue of taxpayers footing the bill would ever come up in "for profit" organ donation/transplant situations.

In most (if not all) "for profit" organ donation/transplant situations, as a condition for the organ donation/transplant to occur, the buyer foots the bill for all costs and expenses including the remuneration agreed upon that will be paid to the seller. These costs and expenses are usually paid either "up front" to all interested parties or they are paid into escrow for payment to all interested parties upon completion of the procedure.

In situations where organs are donated under a general "at death" "not for profit" organ donation/transplant plan, nothing would change as to taxpayers footing the bill in such situations. If a state does currently pays for all or some of the costs and expenses in the "at death" "non profit" organ donation/transplant situations, they would continue to do so. On the other hand, it the state does not currently pay for all or some of the costs and expenses in "at death" "not for profit" organ donation/transplant situations, by now allowing "for profit" organ donation/transplant situations would not then require the state to jump in and foot the bill for any "for profit" organ donation/transplant procedure.

All the foregoing is just IMHO. Your mileage may vary...and probably does. (grin)

Best regards to all.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 16:56, landmark wrote:
This wonderful kidney?

Today's NY Daily News had a reader poll that asked the following: "Do you think people should be allowed to sell their own bodily organs for a profit for transplant purposes?"

All this to distract from the utility of "clone in place" organ regeneration. Starting out with teeth is an appealing plan of attack on the general research/application of the technology.

Okay back to singing that Beatles song with the line "Can't buy me lung".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 18:56, Patrick Differ wrote:
Why not harvest them?

This is the future of the situation. This last week's news shows featured the genetic growing of specific parts. Soon, pick your style of nose and grow one. Grow a kidney, a colon...a new toenail...a bushy scalp...life is good!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20995 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Get higher on the list? Childs play. Find the list, get a serial killer and let him do his thing. Probably cheaper because he is doing what he loves. If you do what you love you never work a day in your life.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 14:16, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 02:21, Dr. Van Van Mojo wrote:
You guys might want to give this a read. Very interesting book.
The Red Market: On the Trail of the Worl......t Carney

We all understand that this type of thing goes on...particularly in 3rd world countries.

With all due respect, the fact situations presented in any such book become irrelevant to the discussion at hand.....

I didn't post the book as necessarily being relevant to the discussion at hand, although there may be some things in it that are. I recently read it and thought considering the topic that others might also find this book an interesting read. Maybe not.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 15:17, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-29 16:56, landmark wrote:
This wonderful kidney?

Today's NY Daily News had a reader poll that asked the following: "Do you think people should be allowed to sell their own bodily organs for a profit for transplant purposes?"

All this to distract from the utility of "clone in place" organ regeneration. Starting out with teeth is an appealing plan of attack on the general research/application of the technology.

Okay back to singing that Beatles song with the line "Can't buy me lung".

I don't think it's a distraction. A question like this helps one to look deeper into her/his own ethical system. While I started out saying "no," I will freely admit that I don't think there is a good argument that can be reconciled with say, my position on prostitution which I think should be legal.

Best I can do here is say, "No, here is where I draw the line, some things are sacred, major human organs are not for sale."
Even with the understanding that in this society, everything has been commodified.
The coal miner puts up his/her lungs for sale.
The boxer puts up her/his skull and brain for sale.
The baseball pitcher puts up his/her arm for sale.
The keyboarder puts up her/his fingers and wrists for sale.
And so on.

I think it''s all worth thinking about.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4842 Posts

Profile of gdw
RS1963, what you are describing with regards to tax payers footing the bill is all problems with the way things are currently set up, and has nothing to do with organs specifically.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16347 Posts

Profile of tommy
Where will this vampirism end?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 17:03, gdw wrote:
RS1963, what you are describing with regards to tax payers footing the bill is all problems with the way things are currently set up, and has nothing to do with organs specifically.

Of course that goes without even being said. But the problems would grow even if things were just grand here.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 17:45, tommy wrote:

Probably not till the last Twilight movie is released.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-10-30 17:45, tommy wrote:

Where/when people cease and desist seeking to aqcuire self respect and personal validation from others.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who will buy . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL