The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dollar Tree Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I don't know if this has been posted before. I made a quick Dollar Tree stop on the way to my show this afternoon and picked up a set of linking rings and also cups & balls. $1 each.
The rings are 3" (pretty sure)and really not bad for a buck.
It's a set of 4 rings (Ala Ninja rings).
I haven't looked at the cups yet.
If you have a Dollar Tree that carries them, check em' out.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've tried rings that size and they and they are very awkward to use.
Might be good for BOR sales at a kids party if you're willing to tip the Gaffe.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My Web site is filled with effects that are made using items that come from stores like Dollar Tree. In fact, one whole section is called "Dollar Store Magic." The nice thing about Dollar Tree is that they are about the last real Dollar Store left in America, where the prices have not been creeping up to $1.29, $1.49 and other prices that always end in a 9. Everything in Dollar Tree is still $1.00... plus any insidious sales tax your state may require. The shopping technique is to go into these stores with an open mind and don't just look for tricks packages as cheap "magic sets" or that look like items you would find in the usual magic store. Just about everything can be twisted to your purpose with the right magic mind set.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I frankly can’t comprehend, why an amateur, semipro, or even a performing hobbyist would have any interest in $1 store linking rings!. Unless they had a small child they wanted to encourage in magic.

I know there are really, really, some guys out there who’d buy a $-store set of rings and actually use them to perform with. I personally think that is not only cheap, but painful, and a shame… that they think so little of themselves and their magical hobby or profession.

Sometimes the props help disguise the method: a lovely set of metal rings manufactured with care, and performed proficiently, will amaze even those children who’ve bought the dollar rings.

Now there are parts or components of things, here and there, in a $1-store that can be remade, disguised, repurposed into something unique, original, and magically useful. There are many of those ideas on Spellbinder’s (the other one) website. But to use a kid’s toy for a performance is to my mind well… ridiculous.

To pick one up out of curiosity, then toss it in a drawer, sure. But don’t do yourself and your craft a disservice by letting the public see you with them in your hands.

My two-cents,
Walt
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are all kinds of magicians in the world. I have known very good magicians with published material that uses nothing but props from such places as the Dollar Store. I think you have to consider everyone has different situations in life. The person I am thinking of -- his wife controls the finances, and she does not allow for such expenses as magic tricks. Thus the magician makes his balls out of rolled aluminum foil. He made his close up case out of a Saltines Soda Cracker box and every magician that sees it wants one.

Take for example a famous magician like the late Bob Read of England. His act was all ordinary objects and an old hat, a mug, that was not even his, but the pub where he performed his tricks. When he toured the U.S., everyone raved about his material.

It all depends on how the magician is perceived and the personality he conveys. Character weither apparent by the performing magician or not, is important, is it not?

It all depends if the prop will do the job, the new Ninjs Gold rings cost $65.00 from Shoot, but if the Dollar Store rings work, they really do not need the expensive set until, he gose through 65 sets, then it is becoming a lose for him to keep buying them.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Well didn't that open up a can of worms.
Walt, I didn't buy them to perform. I just thought they were "Cute" for lack of a better word. I was surprised that they were as thick s they were and not like the ring you can buy in a craft store. AND IF someone did choose to use them, well that's their choice and I am not going to judge them. To each his own.

Some guys may use that set and make "magic" while a guy with a set of R7T or whatever can make them look :Cheap".
My 2 cents.
Jack Skalon

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I would use the dollar store cups, but not the rings. 3 inch rings would make my hands feel cramped. I did buy some stadium cups, for a stand-up version of a cups and balls routine that was written for cheap cups. Since I have no plans to perform the routine outdoors with these cups, the routine should work fine.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Same here Alan. I have very large hands. 5" rings are a little uncomfortable for me. I just thought the Dollar Store rings were cool for $1.
Jack Skalon

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I haven't seen the dollar store rings yet so cannot attest to their quality. I suspect that they are a little too big for me. I use 2.25" rings to perform the El Duco routine. They are not a great quality ring as the welds are clearly visible. I'll check into the dollar store rings. If they are heavy gauge, smooth welds and I can use them for the routine I'll get them and use them.

I can remember when the small diameter Adams ring sets was just for kids. Then Dan Fleishman used them for table-hopping, Reed McClintock developed a sweet routine using them, and then Shoot Ogawa crashed the scene using this size set (of course Shoot used and sold some well crafted rings but the el cheap-o Adams rings work just as well to do the routine). The rush was on for the 5" rings.

These will be toys until someone decides to develop a killer routine and blow magicians away with it then the dollar stores won't be able to keep them on the shelves as the magic dealers will buy them and resell them for a pretty mark-up. When you pay the bucks then they must be "professional".

The handling of the smaller rings is by the finger tips of a couple of fingers and the thumb not the hands. Forefinger and thumb are what I use for my routine. Go to the El Duco and watch the video of his elegant three ring routine using small rings. Maybe that will get you thinking about how these small rings may be used.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Harry,
Here are a couple of pix of one of the rings

Click here to view attached image.
Jack Skalon

jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Jack Skalon

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The wire/rod gauge looks good for the size. The visible welds look just like the El Duco rings I have. I’ll have to hit a Dollar Tree and check them out. For a buck or two it is worth the trial. Except for the slightly large diameter they look like the El Duco set. Hummmmmm.

Thanks for the photos.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check out Marlo's routine with rings that have VISIBLE WELDS.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
You're welcome Harry. Let me know how it works out.
Jack Skalon

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
These Rings are nice for the price.

If you try to handle them in the same way as larger Rings there will be a problem.
They are different so handle them differently.

I would wait till they are not being sold in the Dollar Store to use them in public.

I don't want my Magic to look cheap but if I can buy good Magic for a good price, why not?
I once bought a set of Ninja Rings (at least I couldn't tell the difference) for $5 at a Magic Auction. I didn't let the price dissuade me from buying.

I would prefer people did not sell them BOR but I can't control other people.

-Mary Mowder
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Pete, Is Marlo's routine in print?
Jack Skalon

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jskalon: Yep, but I don't recall where. Perhaps someone else can tell you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
OK Thanks Pete. I'll keep searching.
Jack Skalon

SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Wmhegbli: Please not I said about what you said, again I don't think you read full posts a lot of the time...

"Now there are parts or components of things, here and there, in a $1-store that can be remade, disguised, repurposed into something unique, original, and magically useful. There are many of those ideas on Spellbinder’s (the other one) website. But to use a kid’s toy for a performance is to my mind well… ridiculous."

Repeating (part) of myself.
Walt
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
The Marlo routine cited by Mr. Biro can be found in Racherbaumer and Marlo's Arcade Dreams, pp. 78-81.

From the introduction:

"Marlo devised this unusual key ring to perform a convincing version of the 'Linking Rings' with the inexpensive S.S. Adams set he pitched at the Treasure Chest on Saturday afternoons. It turned out that this beginner's version puzzled many magicians and probably inspired the MacAbee Rings that flashed on the scene in the 1970's. This version is suited for close-up work, especially the bar venue. This was the version that Clarke Crandall really liked, probably because he saw Marlo do it many times in the darkened booths at Crandall's old bar in Chicago."

One note, the key ring does require a minor alteration, and it is genius!

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dollar Tree Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL