The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Figured this was the best section - Big List of questions! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
My big list of questions.

Hi everyone, Im looking to make the jump into some serious work. I am kind of just knocking out any final details I can cram into my brain before purchasing anything. Id like to just stick to these questions if possible. Thanks (Feel free to PM on any of these topics for serious discussion)

All props of a professional quality. I don’t mind expensive props. Not looking for cheap knock offs, or bargin shopper brands.

1. Looking for a cage to hold my birds and at the end, It vanishes Was looking at the one from Abbots, but have no experience with vanishing cages. Anyone have experience with professional quality products?

2. Reliable companies for dove accessories ( harnesses, bags, and so forth.)

3. Im sure, as with most animals there are sites that have apposing ideas about the care for different types of animals. Is there a site that someone would recommend to read for the general care and information about owning doves.

4. Roughly how much does it cost to get a suit tailored for doves, just a rough idea. Including (false front, shoulder pads, stiffener in the front, and satin in the arms etc.)

5. Thoughts about Malloy’s Master Prediction System. How practical is this? Or are there any unmentioned stipulations with this effect?

6. I was checking out “Lemon Game” Malloy’s Magic, I don’t really need the cards for the game itself. Im just more interested in the signed bill to lemon part, Is the method used for this item referenced anywhere else by book or video?

7. Anyone know where you can buy Flash Paper & Flash Cotton in bulk?

8. Looking to pick up a high quality, metal dancing cane, Appearing cane, Disappearing Cane, Appearing Candles, and Disappearing candles All in WHITE. Curious on good quality brands, as well as a sight that may have everything in one purchase. (the sites I checked out only have some in red, some in white, some in silver and so on)

Im sure I’ll have a few other questions to ask.

Thanks a ton

-Derek
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sounds like a lot of "common" stuff... are you sure you want to go this route, rather than brainstorm some original ideas?

There should be plenty of books on these subjects.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22175 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is the very best Vanishing Bird Cage in the World $3200.00
http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagemagicpage_cage.htm

To get a costume suit for doves, the only person that offers this service is Andy Amyx, or use to make the full outfit for $700. Most magicians make their own. There are a lot of different magicians that offer their ideas. Try Tony Clark material as well.

Candles buy only Fantasio Products.
http://www.fantasio.com

You really do not want a metal dancing cane.
Currently, metal Appearing and Vanishing Canes are difficult to find that are superior.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I figured that metal would be more durable, faster and smoother. Maybe that is a misconception.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 3:02am
Pete. I do see how this seems very common, however this is just a small starting point for what I have planned in the future. I do believe I have my own new age twist on how to perform these things. I PMed you though, for some more discussion that that topic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22175 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-11-03 02:58, Derek Castillo wrote:
I figured that metal would be more durable, faster and smoother. Maybe that is a misconception.

There are other things to consider over durability. It will not be faster or smoother, only heavier.

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I see. Thanks for the info. Is Fantasio the company to go with for the dancing cane as well as the candles? I plan on doing some extreme stuff with the cane. so other than durability, I'm guessing that precision and balance will the the other big factors. yes?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22175 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fantasio no longer makes his version of the Dancing Cane. Not available, you missed your chance.

Actually, there are not any Dancing Canes available currently that are any good.

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Looks like Im sol then lol. Guess ill have to make due with an inferior version. I'll just print out a bunch of different ones Stick them all over my wall and throw a dart and see which one it lands on and order that haha
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
When it comes to doves, use YOUR gut, you are the one handling your doves every day, so you know best what they need and if they're healthy, all I wanna say is, make sure they can fly! Don't put them in a cage 1 by 1 where they barely fit in, this will get you unhappy, unhealthy and weak performing birds, give them freedom and respect and you'll get so much in return.

I had my costume tailor made and it's expensive! And keep in mind, a dove worker's costume is never finished, mine has been at the tailor more than I've had it in my wardrobe, there will always be things that annoy you about it and that you'll wanna change (The average tailor doesn't make too many of these costumes, so don't expect them to get it all right from the start)

For the canes, candles and flash paper, most magic shops sell this, the paper you can buy in bulk and you could ask for a discount.
I have a metal appearing and vanishing cane, and I'm not planning on using it in my show, because... I don't like the feel of it, there's nothing bad I can say about Fantasio candles, they're great, but just use the right fuel to light them and change them in time, or you'll end up with a candle that 'vanishes' in segments Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The information to date has been right on.

As for the Fantasio products, They are still out there but will be disappearing more and more. So if you find some, get several. A lot of dealers still have inventory. Check around. As for the dancing cane, looked to use market. Creekmore made a very good one. Fantasio's dancing cane are still around. I think he explains how to make it in his book with his regular vanishing cane.

Bulk flash papr- try Joe Lefler he may be able to help you out. Personally, I would not develop anything with fire (even flash Paper) as all the permits to use it are not worth the hassle.

Richard

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Why Fantasio products will be disappearing???
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22175 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-11-03 09:59, dahih beik wrote:
Why fantasio products will be disappearing ???

According to Richard Hughes, who has commented twice on the Café regarding this, it is because of the India imports and the other European models being imported and sold by non-supporting dealers and wholesalers.

According to the comments on his Magic Castle lecture videos, Fantasio claims that dealers and wholesalers control his business more then he can. Dealers want shiny/glossy canes and that is what he 'must' manufacturer and supply. He sited his dull finish canes he attempted to market late 80's.

The competition is just to great I guess. He once hand the market cornered, that is no longer true because of jobbers and importers.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 11:02am
Just did seveal searches and found that a number of dealers sell the Fantasio Dancing Cane kit to convert your Vanishing Cane to a Dancing Cane as well. So one would have to purchase them separately, the kit and the Cane.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Wacko magic is about to release a KILLER of a Dancing Cane.

My only suggestion. DO NOT DIM THE LIGHTS, DO NOT DO A LENGTHY ROUTINE. What venue will you do the cane? If stage, brighter light from the FRONT ONLY (no side or overhead or rear light AT ALL). Finn Jon has shown me how a strong bright FRONT LIGHT IS BEST. So many performers dim the lights... which to me is a dead giveaway.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Richard - You can still purchase Fantasio products directly from their site. As of now at least.

Laurens - I have many pets, and take good care of them, also some exotic ones, which have many more special needs than a dove requires, Making the doves have more than a comfortable life will be the easy part. About the fire - As for NOW at least, Fire is ok for me to use. I have a place that I will be performing regularly as of now. And I can phase the fire out as the show grows and expands with new effects and so on.

Wmhegbli - A couple of the links you found would be appreciated.

Pete - Get ready to cut my head off... the lights WILL be low! DUN DUN DUN! and it will be a tab bit longer than most routines... YIKES! (eeeekkk.. WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!?) haha

Ok ok, Other then the dancing cane, and candles, or doves. Anyone have any experience with my other questions? (#1, #5, and #6)

Thanks for the info thus far gentlemen.

-Derek

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 1:41pm
I know I said expensive is ok. But iv seen vanishing bird cages for 800. and the one that wmhegbli pointed out, for over $3,000.00, I don't know enough about them to justify the price difference. Some information with that would be helpful as well.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 1:43pm
Also with Lemon Game. I find the cards, and the whole thing, a bit dated. Is the method used for this mentioned anywhere else? I'd rather make my own case and cards and accessories with an up-to-date twist. So I can't justify purchasing the entire thing just for the method when I won't even use the props. Any Ideas here?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22175 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-11-03 13:41, Derek Castillo wrote:
I know I said expensive is ok. But iv seen vanishing bird cages for 800. and the one that wmhegbli pointed out, for over $3,000.00, I don't know enough about them to justify the price difference. Some information with that would be helpful as well.

The name Norm Nielsen means the highest quality you can get in the world. You want the best and this is the best.

You can try Proline Magic they advertise here on the Café and build cages almost as good a Norm Nielsen, if you read the post on the Café.

For the dancing cane just google "Fantasio Dancing Cane magic" and the sites will appear for you. Google is your friend.

There are a lot of signed Bill to Lemon tricks on the market and the Café. Just do a search and spend hours reading.
Use this search engine http://www.searchthemagiccafe.com/

Sorry, I don't do mental magic or prediction tricks. I am a magician only.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 2:54pm
Cody Fisher has a Bill to Lemon on the class of the Lemon Game.
See here: http://www.codyfisher.com/store/item/cody-fishers-bill-lemon

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
http://www.owenmagic.com/Livestock/Pollack/pollack.html

I personally feel this is a better cage.
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:

Laurens - I have many pets, and take good care of them, also some exotic ones, which have many more special needs than a dove requires, Making the doves have more than a comfortable life will be the easy part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you wouldn't take care of your animals, but I always say this to everyone who wants to get involved with doves, since I've seen too many people who put their doves in cages where they can't spread their wings, making them unable to fly (properly), wich could be a good thing for a magician, but threat your doves with respect and they won't fly off in the middle of the show.
"Doves don't work for you, they work with you, threat them like that"

I've raised parrots, macaws, all kinds of primates and even camels, so don't get me started on what exotic animals need, it's awefull at times Smile
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Oh man tell me about it. My animals eat better and get pampered more than I do haha. I get 3min cup oh noodles and it takes me up to 30min to prepare some of their food each night lol
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
It was nice getting to know a little about your back ground. You know where I'm at during the week, just let me know when you will be in the area guy. I entertain many groups on the weekends from your neck of the woods there in Orange County.

I really like your exhuberance and it seems that you have humbled yourslf to ask the right questions. Do you have a mentor there localy guy?
All the best hermano and here's to your success!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Thanks devious! Ill definatly make it out to see you one of these nights.

Ok so I'm starting to write a little patter, and I'm looking for a suggestion for a play on words. Basiclly, the spectator is going to end up holding a small box / bag which contains his folded up dollar bill. And I want him to repeat a magic phrase that I want him to say. During witch he says the wrong word and the bill changes into that word. Ill try and make an exaple, but this is why I'm asking so ill try my best ( " by the magical powers invested in me, I command this 1 dollar bill to turn cold) wait did you say cold, or coal? And he opens the box to find a lump of coal.

Dumb lol, but something like that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Figured this was the best section - Big List of questions! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL