The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and soda problem (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2023, inigmntoya wrote:
It sounds like this is one of the new magnetic S&S sets that are made so the insert won't rotate on inspection. If that's what it is, the grooves are there to prevent the rotation but I could see where they might interfere with clean nesting if the insert can't smoothly slide into place.
Tape would help that but also likely either somewhat or entirely defeat their purpose - the insert may rotate.

Thank you, but the grooves are circular. So they prevent to slide in.
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Send tonsofquestions a pm with a link of some images to clarify. Hope it helps.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2023, inigmntoya wrote:
It sounds like this is one of the new magnetic S&S sets that are made so the insert won't rotate on inspection. If that's what it is, the grooves are there to prevent the rotation but I could see where they might interfere with clean nesting if the insert can't smoothly slide into place.
Tape would help that but also likely either somewhat or entirely defeat their purpose - the insert may rotate.

Maybe, but if that were the case then it wouldn't be a _Tango_ set.

Quote:
On Feb 3, 2023, Solux wrote:
Thank you, but the grooves are circular. So they prevent to slide in.

Send tonsofquestions a pm with a link of some images to clarify. Hope it helps.

OK,
Looking at these images, I see a few things to clear up.
- This is definitely not one of the Oliver ones you're thinking of, inigmntoya.
- These grooves are the circular mill marks on the inside of the s***l. They're not smooth, but they don't look very deep, so I'm surprised anything's getting stuck on them.
- It's definitely not a tolerance issue, it's about roughness of sliding.
- I agree that it would have been better for the metal s**m to go to the edges of the s***l, but I don't think that should affect the function.
- It's possible that the corner of the in***t coin has very sharp corners. You could try sanding them down slightly to round them off and see if that helps.
- The final image shows the in***t going in the wrong way. I've often found tolerances in S&S set to be important - if you put the one coin in upside down, it might stick or have other issues. I wonder if that's part of the issue here?

I agree that the clear tape (or teflon) is a great fix here, and "smooths over" the issue. It does seem like a manufacturing issue, but from the pictures, I'm still extremely surprised that it was a problem at all. It doesn't seem like it should be enough to cause things to stick unless you were applying a large amount of pressure at just the wrong angle.

Though it is worth pointing out that I usually see magnetic S&S sets used shaken in the hands or under a clear glass, where the nesting is not pushed in manually.
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Thank you for looking. I was sanding the in***t but without improvement. The grooves in the s***l are sharp.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I placed the in***t in the wrong way only to show how it looked like without tape.

I consider to replace the metal to cover all grooves but the tape solution helped me so far.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

I see. That makes sense to display it well.

Looking closer again, I can see some of the scratches on the edge from sanding, but it still doesn't seem overly sharp, I'm still quite surprised it catches on the grooves. That said, I do believe you, and suspect it's just very hard to tell without touching.

Another question that comes to mind: is it all angles of the in***t and s***l that cause problems? It might be worth rotating one (or both) 30-45 degrees several times to experiment and see if it's better or worse in some positions.
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2023, tonsofquestions wrote:
Looking closer again, I can see some of the scratches on the edge from sanding, but it still doesn't seem overly sharp, I'm still quite surprised it catches on the grooves. That said, I do believe you, and suspect it's just very hard to tell without touching.

I'll send a new photo without tape where you have a clearer view.

Quote:
Another question that comes to mind: is it all angles of the in***t and s***l that cause problems? It might be worth rotating one (or both) 30-45 degrees several times to experiment and see if it's better or worse in some positions.

There are some rare positions with less problems but I like when it works every time.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

That is a little clearer, but lines up with my imagining from the other pictures.

I believe you that it's a significant issue, but past some sanding or the tape, I'm not sure what to suggest. It appears to be just a result of the way they manufactured it.
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Thank you! I'll go with this solution. If this is the normal production result hopefully somebody may find the tweak useful.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2011, gaffed wrote:
I remember watching Don Alan performing S&S and he would break his in to the point that the coin would simply fall out and would then never have need for the bang ring! Not exactly for me, but that is the only way Don would perform it, and quite well I might add. Then again, he was referred to by his peers as the "father of modern close-up magic."

When I saw this advice from Don Alan, I started doing it this way. Works really well.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

As discussed previously, this is totally.an option, but the tradeoff is that it is no longer examinable by the spectator, and so cannot be done in their hands.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I've seen the photos...
I'm not sure what to say... I don't think the machining marks are enough to stop smooth sliding.
I'm surprised that the shim isn't cleanly round. Looks kind of hand-cut.... Lol... Not unlike some Tango Teflon circles I have here that are not circles.
Hard to see from the photos but it looks like the shell may have a slight ding from a drop... That might have made it ever so slightly out of round so in certain orientations the insert catches, and it's the walls of the shell providing the resistance not any thing inside.
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2023, inigmntoya wrote:
and it's the walls of the shell providing the resistance not any thing inside.

But with the tape it slides smoothly. If the walls would cause the resistance then there would no such change.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Scotch and soda problem (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL