The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves at kids parties in the living room?!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Hello,

I have own bunnies now and have for quite sometime that I use in my shows and I have also read a lot on doves. I know several magicians that use them as well.

I am attempting to add 6 additional minutes to front of my birthday party shows by starting my shows off with several productions of visual items. My goal is to increase my pricing and give me something in my area others are not doing thus increasing my value. At the end of several very fast productions of items I want to end it with 3 separate doves and then putting the 3 doves in my dove to bunny box (that I own). Then producing the bunny. At this point I will put the box back together to avoid the bunny from jumping around and if all the kids are good we will show the bunny at the end. I realize kids will want to pet the bunny right away but I have done this with another prop of producing the bunny first and just put him to the side with a partial cloth cover his box and have never had a problem through the years. The rest of my show will remain the same as I have it now.

So here is my question:

Which items would you recommend that are best suited for 3 separate doves to be produced in a living room setting with kids? I would like to try and keep the poop and flying down to a minimum Smile I obviously this is life and happens I have done my research and own animals in my act already.

Which devices or props do you recommend for this type of setting?

Thanks,

In advance
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Carnival Ribbons is a very good Dove Production, easy.

Doves from Tissue Paper is another really easy and get Dove Production. I believe Tony Clark has it on one of his Dove DVDs.

To keep the poop down, just do not feed the birds till after the show. Always exercise them, before loading in a prop.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2011-11-04 01:49, wmhegbli wrote:
Carnival Ribbons is a very good Dove Production, easy.

Doves from Tissue Paper is another really easy and get Dove Production. I believe Tony Clark has it on one of his Dove DVDs.

To keep the poop down, just do not feed the birds till after the show. Always exercise them, before loading in a prop.

I am aware of the idea of not feeding them a few hours before the show to keep the poop down but having a nice set up for food and water after the show.

My big concern is having them fly around in someones house or living room. I realized some props encourage (for lack of better word) the doves jumping out of a picture frame for example verse other devices that allow you to catch or grab them more easily. I am trying to stick with items allowing that.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kevin,
Quote:
My big concern is having them fly around in someones house or living room. I realized some props encourage (for lack of better word) the doves jumping out of a picture frame for example verse other devices that allow you to catch or grab them more easily. I am trying to stick with items allowing that.

Your doves need to be thoroughly trained so they do not fly off. One of my concerns here is you are looking for something to use where you can "grab or catch" your birds. Doves are not "things" to be grabbed. They should be produced and handled properly. Another concern is for the welfare of the birds. According to your post, you are looking to produce doves in the first 6 minutes of your act, put them in some type of prop, you mentioned a doves to bunny box, and then continue with your act. I'm assuming you are doing at least a 30 minute act so the birds are going to be held in a box for a very long time. This isn't a good idea regardless of how you modify the prop to provide air. Remember they are living creatures, not props. If you moved your dove segment to the end of your act, you would face the same problem as the doves would be confined somewhere for the length of your act.

With that said, I have used doves in birthday parties and living rooms. First, you must tell your host that you use birds. Many people are allergic to birds, many have cats etc that could cause a problem and many simply don't want birds in their homes.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kevinr, from your comments I have to question if you even have any birds. You would not make the statements you have if you own a birds. Birds do not jump from props, they are beings that like secure places to sit and feel safe. Thus when they are trying to get their balance or correct themselves when being in an uncomfortable position, they have to adjust, just as you do when you are comfortable.

Birds will be less likely to fly off when they have their 'safe place'. Thus you have a cage or perch that is theirs and theirs alone. You use this at home and at a show.

Sounds like you have to go back and buy some books and DVDs on bird magic. Clearly, if you do have birds, you missed the 1st step, obtaining the information 1st on the care, feeding and handling of them.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2011-11-04 06:32, Dave Scribner wrote:
Kevin,
Quote:

One of my concerns here is you are looking for something to use where you can "grab or catch" your birds. Doves are not "things" to be grabbed. They should be produced and handled properly. Another concern is for the welfare of the birds. According to your post, you are looking to produce doves in the first 6 minutes of your act, put them in some type of prop, you mentioned a doves to bunny box, and then continue with your act. I'm assuming you are doing at least a 30 minute act so the birds are going to be held in a box for a very long time. This isn't a good idea regardless of how you modify the prop to provide air. Remember they are living creatures, not props. If you moved your dove segment to the end of your act, you would face the same problem as the doves would be confined somewhere for the length of your act.

I realize they are not "things" did I actually call them that? I really hate how The Magic Café always gets into tearing apart posts.. Then it leads into a battle of replies with negative comments or jabs. Regardless of which forum on the Café your on there is always the bashing. I own horses, dogs, cats and bunnies. My bunnies are potty trained and walk around my house not in cages. They have had less problems peeing or pooping than my kids have had when they were in diapers (no joke) My wife went to vet school and worked with animals her entire life. My children are in 4H. I realize they are part of our family and not "things" I never once saw them that way. I volunteer at a local animal rescue on my spare time. I also understand they are NOT something you just catch and grab and throw in a box like some kind of magic trick or kids toy. I used this phrase to "Catch" to explain the logistics.

I do realize the problem of doves at the end or at the start come have the same problem. that's why I came here for some advice BEFORE I did anything for helpful advice. Based on your reply I must assume you think NO ONE should use dove to bunny boxes as everyone runs into this problem regardless of if the dove to bunny box is used first in the show or at the end.

Quote:
On 2011-11-04 09:48, wmhegbli wrote:
Kevinr, from your comments I have to question if you even have any birds. You would not make the statements you have if you own a birds. Birds do not jump from props, they are beings that like secure places to sit and feel safe. Thus when they are trying to get their balance or correct themselves when being in an uncomfortable position, they have to adjust, just as you do when you are comfortable.

Birds will be less likely to fly off when they have their 'safe place'. Thus you have a cage or perch that is theirs and theirs alone. You use this at home and at a show.

Sounds like you have to go back and buy some books and DVDs on bird magic. Clearly, if you do have birds, you missed the 1st step, obtaining the information 1st on the care, feeding and handling of them.

Never said I own doves yet. I said I have carefully watched several videos on doves, handled doves, know other magicians that own doves. read all the above links and sites from the sticky above on this forum about doves... However, I take owning a new family member like doves in this case very seriously so I have NOT purchased any yet. I am thinking this idea through my head first. I would repeat myself above about want I am wanting to do but it appears everyone is just want to attack me rather than give advice. Sorry to bug you guys I will just ask a few guys in my local magic club.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kevin, you asked for suggestions to produce 3 doves. Wmhegli gave you suggestions. You said you wanted to add doves to your act. We assumed from what you wrote that you had not used doves in the past. By your rather curt reply, we were correct. The comments that both Bill and I made were geared toward someone who had not used doves before. None of them were there to tear a topic apart but to point out the pitfalls of what you were planning. These comments came from people who have years and years of experience with dove magic.

You said you wanted to use your doves to bunny box. I pointed out that keeping them in a prop for the length of your act was not good for them. I never said the effect was a bad one or that it shouldn't be used by anyone. Most of the time, when a prop is used to vanish doves, there is an assistant involved who can take the prop out of site and remove the birds. Doing it in a living room doesn't offer that option so it would be better to use it as a last effect so you can unload them yourself, quickly.

You said you would grab and catch the doves. We did not say that. We responded to your comments. If that isn't what you meant, then you shouldn't have used those terms.

You asked a question and received good responses both for a newbie to dove magic and sor suggestions to answer your question. If you think that makes negative responses, then you need to reread them and take the advice in the manner in which it was offered.
Where the magic begins
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Kevin,

Most of your idea is sound. I produce two doves in my 5-minute warm up at every birthday show I do. I use a dove streamer and the dove pan. IMHO there is no better opening. However, I do not make the doves disappear for the reason noted above AND because small children may get upset at the disappearance of a live animal. I simply put them in a cage behind my table and save the rabbit for the finale. I’d save the dove to bunny box for larger shows when you have an assistant or a helper to care for the doves.

Good luck!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2011-11-04 19:30, Ken Northridge wrote:
Kevin,

Most of your idea is sound. I produce two doves in my 5-minute warm up at every birthday show I do. I use a dove streamer and the dove pan. IMHO there is no better opening. However, I do not make the doves disappear for the reason noted above AND because small children may get upset at the disappearance of a live animal. I simply put them in a cage behind my table and save the rabbit for the finale. I’d save the dove to bunny box for larger shows when you have an assistant or a helper to care for the doves.

Good luck!

Thanks Ken,

Yeah I was considering putting the box behind my Jeff Jones Magic Backdrop and then put the doves in a transport carrier but don't think I could do that fast enough. I agree with doves being a great visual open but since I currently don't own doves wasn't sure which was the best methods in this setting. Iwon several vieos and know some local magicians that use them here but not in kid shows at homes. I probably won't be getting doves for another 3-4 months. Then I will keep them as family pets for 4 months get to know them better and then I will work with them landing on what I train them to in my bathroom and only let them land on my desired item in training but that's months and months away.

Ken thanks!

I already have carriers for my bunny with fans for the summer (which I use alreayd in my shows for years) and plan on making a great comfortable set up for my doves in my van. I will NOT be loading the doves in anything until arrive to my shows... Obviously.. Some of my concerns are some of the fancy productions for doves and the possibility them flying around. Obviously with proper training they will land where they are trained and doves don't normally fly all over the place but they are animals and I don't want one flying around and possibly pooping on anyone (ha!). So I was considering ditching the entire idea for birthday parties in small living rooms.

However I do know that some do it inother areas with great success. I think the dove pan is a excellent choice when I am at that point I will purchase one.

Again Thanks!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All you have to do if the bird does drop a dropping is take a paper towel and pick it up. Then use a product like resolve. Most of the time and if you feed the birds properly, just have a small round pellet when they drop. It is not anything like to worry about. They will poop if you don't exercise them before going on. Being you don't know what that is, it is only walking the bird on your index fingers causing them to flap their wings. This will cause them to release anything they have been holding.

Just like humans, if you go for walk, chances are you will have to poop when you get home. Birds require attention daily, at least an hour of handling and training every day. Never leave them to just sit in their cage, never leave food 24 - 7, feed them on a schedule like you would a dog or cat.

I have said to much already. Good luck if you pursue using birds.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kevin, many magicians use birds in the kids parties. Some even do them outside. Dynamike, a member here, frequently performs in backyards or outdoor shows so it is very possible to train your birds not to fly off. It all comes down to training.

If you decide to use birds in your act, the most important thing to remember is that you cannot have them confined for more than 10 minutes. Whether you use body loads or props, the birds generate heat and in confined spaces like load chambers, their air is quickly depleated.

All of the suggestions and comments made so far are not meant to tear you apart of dismantle the thread but rather to help someone who has never used doves before. Unlike rabbits, doves require weeks of training and a lot of patience on your part.

You mentioned training them in your bathroom to land on certain props. Initial training in the bathroom is fine to get them used to you, but once you ready to have them fly to certain props, it would be better to train them in a more appropriate setting like your living room. Doves tend to fly to the highest spot they see, directly into mirrors, and definately to chandeliers or lights hanging from the ceiling. Since you won't know how a client's living room is set up, it's best to have the doves trained for any situation and that takes a lot of time.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves at kids parties in the living room?!? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL