The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best galfed coin (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Yeah, but I figured that the question was about your overall "best". If you are stuck somewhere and can only have one gaff with you.... Smile

Jim
bluesmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of bluesmagic
I like the expanded s***l and C/S Smile
gvinson
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gvinson
I second expanded s***l and C.S.B.!
Prestidigitation Newbie
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, TN
7 Posts

Profile of Prestidigitation Newbie
For someone who is just getting started, which expanded shell, C/S, and C/S/B sets are a good value for the money? And is the TUC set something that is more advanced, to the point where a beginner should try to become proficient with the other 3 gimmicked sets first, i.e., to the point of being able to perform a few tricks really well with each type, before buying the TUC?

I bought a Johnson Products, 2 Copper & 1 Silver several months ago, and really like the trick (although not thrilled with the replica Mexican 20 Centavo coin, so I bought a genuine coin to replace it), but my finale is lacking. Any DVD recommendations?

PS: I have Bobo's book, and am working on a few basic tricks that interest me, but there are instances where his illustrations aren't clear enough to me, and I am not sure whether I am manipulating the coins - in some segments of a trick - as he intended.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Johnsons is good value for the money.
The TUC isn't necessarily too advanced, but most will tell you to get your sleights down without any gaffs first.

If you're having trouble visualizing what's in Bob's pick up the Modern Coin Magic DVD set by Ben Salinas. You should be able to find it online (Amazon?) for as low as $20.
Just found this for $13 with free Prime shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JQQKJA......200_QL40

Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, Prestidigitation Newbie wrote:
For someone who is just getting started, which expanded shell, C/S, and C/S/B sets are a good value for the money? And is the TUC set something that is more advanced, to the point where a beginner should try to become proficient with the other 3 gimmicked sets first, i.e., to the point of being able to perform a few tricks really well with each type, before buying the TUC?

I bought a Johnson Products, 2 Copper & 1 Silver several months ago, and really like the trick (although not thrilled with the replica Mexican 20 Centavo coin, so I bought a genuine coin to replace it), but my finale is lacking. Any DVD recommendations?

PS: I have Bobo's book, and am working on a few basic tricks that interest me, but there are instances where his illustrations aren't clear enough to me, and I am not sure whether I am manipulating the coins - in some segments of a trick - as he intended.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Modern coin magic dvd is a excellent choice for the money.
Todd
Prestidigitation Newbie
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, TN
7 Posts

Really appreciate the lightning fast reply, and your recommendation of Johnson Products as manufacturers that provide good value for the money, the advice about becoming proficient with sleights FIRST, and the suggestion - with amazon.com link - to purchase that Modern Coin Magic DVD set by Ben Salinas (-which I just ordered).
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have two Handleings For A 2 copper 1 silver One where They All Vanish At the end! And One where they all 3 change to Chinese coins At the end! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Prestidigitation Newbie
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, TN
7 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, David Neighbors wrote:
I have two Handleings For A 2 copper 1 silver One where They All Vanish At the end! And One where they all 3 change to Chinese coins At the end! Smile

David, where can I find your two handlings for this trick, and which Chinese coins do you recommend?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, Prestidigitation Newbie wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, David Neighbors wrote:

David, where can I find your two handlings for this trick, and which Chinese coins do you recommend?

Yes, David, I would be interested to know also.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

There Both In my "sound Routines" Book! (That's the book on the Rattle Gimmick.) Now you can Do it with out the Rattle Gimmick, You just don't Get the sound Sell!E-Mail Me At coinjurer@comcast.net for more info! And I don't Remember Where I got those Chinese Coins But there The ones that Come in red,blue,And Black! If you Can not find Then I will try to look them Up!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Prestidigitation Newbie
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, TN
7 Posts

Look for an email David. Thanks again.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Ok sent it! And your Welcome! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
I am primarily a sleight of hand guy, and only use a gaffed coin rarely, but, if I could only own one, it would be the T.U.C. simply because it covers what you can manage with the "standard" gaffes- shells and sams- in what I think is a more efficient, generally superior way.

You don't have to worry about people looking at the initial coin closely, or be wary handling it in fear of it doing something naughty in public. It's easy to handle and operate, compared to other options. It's precise and not sloppy, and it seems to not wear out or misfire easily over time. It's priced perfectly fairly for what it is. It's not as pretty in craftsmanship as a custom made piece, but hey, it also hits the price point where it's practical to use every day.

In short, it's the most well rounded crowbar in the ol' coin-toolbelt for me, and it really doesn't have any weaknesses, compared to the other "classic" gaffes that have been around forever.

It really comes down to that.

I'm not someone who ever uses gaffes or gimmicks for "one purpose" tricks, when it comes to manipulation. I want aids that are multipurpose and you can use creatively....and the T.U.C. is the best tool for an imaginative coin magician, in my opinion. I've owned this since Tango first offered it, and still feel the same about it some years down the road. Great invention, different enough to merit it's own unique moniker.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Anyone any experience of UK currency TUC's at all please? I'm hearing great things about TUC's in general but would like to know which UK denominations work well if at all? It's quite an investment.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
A split coin can pretty much do the same as a TUC, but at a much lower price point.

Jim
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Thanks Jim, much appreciated.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I agree with J-Mac: the expanded shell and copper/silver coin are the most versatile coin gaffs.

I had a TUC in Eisenhower dollars, but sold it. If I remember correctly, it was the same as Lassen's Triple Threat, although less expensive. Is that correct?
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
I agree with J-Mac: the expanded shell and copper/silver coin are the most versatile coin gaffs.

I had a TUC in Eisenhower dollars, but sold it. If I remember correctly, it was the same as Lassen's Triple Threat, although less expensive. Is that correct?

No, that is not correct.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Anybody catch the bidding war going on for a Lassen Cerberus on the big site? Currently, the bid is $1,525.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best galfed coin (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL