The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Self taught juggling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Phil Blackmore
I think you tube has changed things a bit. A self taught juggler wanting to learn how to do something like 5 balls can find it there now.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I am a mostly self-taught Contact Juggler. When I started all that was available as far as information was the James Ernest book and the Michael Moschen In motion performance video. I actually started learning the butterfly from watching that one scene from the movie Labyrinth over and over until I understood the move, and then practiced the best way I could figure out. By the time I discovered the book I had already been contact juggling for almost a year, basically learning from my own experimentation and what little I could remember from watching the Michael Moschen performance once or twice. There were no other contact jugglers in my state as far as I knew. We had a juggling club for a while that ended up dissolving due to us losing our space and then a dwindling of interest. With the Ernest book I learned everything in it, and developed a lot of my own variations and tricks. But I hit a plateu after about five or six years, because I had no one to bounce ideas off, and had no one to show me other directions I could go.
I then discovered the contactjuggling.org site and that sparked my creativity, seeing other people's take on various tricks. I was active for a while in that community, but stopped going to that site due to some people getting upset over me trying to give advice on how to improve their patterns and movements and make a move look better. Apparently that rubbed some the wrong way (they were so enamored with the idea that there is no right or wrong way to do a trick that they got insulted when I suggested that there were ways of doing moves that looked better) But I digress...
There still is no steady juggling club in my area, but whenever I see something new it creates a flood of new ideas that I never would have thought of before.
I did not suffer too much from the lack of personal instruction (I published a 4 volume instructional DVD on Contact Juggling a few years ago) but I can't help but think that I could have progressed much faster and with more variety if I had someone available with more knowlege and skill than I did to lead the way. I also wouldn't have picked up some bad habits that took a loooong time to get over (I still have a few)
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Sorry for the length of that post. I tend to be long winded. It was not ment to be a rant or anything. (even though it probably sounded like one) Smile
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
HansBragart
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
13 Posts

Profile of HansBragart
One can only be taught to juggle to the extent of being shown the pattern and the method to apply. At that point, it is up to the student to practice until the skill is mastered, at which point, he or she could legitimately say that he/she taught him/herself.

What I am saying is that someone who teaches another how to juggle is less like an instructor and more like a coach.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
I live in Finland, Pori. No one juggles here.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
One great thing about being the only juggler in Finland that you have no competition. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Self taught juggling (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL