The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Demo Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
This is everyone who has a demo video.

I'm curious on how you approach the request of filming your performance at a paid gig. I was able to get footage of 1 walk-around performance years ago (see at http://www.mindmagiclive.com), but so much has changed and the video needs to be updated to suit the corporate clientelle.

Now the main reason I was able capture the original footage was because event organizer was on a tight budget, wanted footage anyhow, and the event although well done, was an volunteer appreciation event.

With the camera being such an intrusion at an event, how are you overcoming any objections approaching clients with this request ?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I record every single performance I do. It is all a matter of your your present and approach it, and perhaps a bit about the markets you work. I have it in my contract rider that no audio or video is allowed because I'm recording the performance. In many cases if I do not have my assistant with me, I even have the client provide a person to operate my video camera during the performance. I have the camera and use a 10" monitor so it makes it easier for them to see and not have to use or rely on the small viewfinder. For larger events some have even used it for the large screen projection making it easier for them while allowing the entire audience to see it bigger than life.

I rarely have any problems or resistance from clients. Once in a while a school or corporate event might question it, but I can count on one hand the number of times I was unable to videotape my show. The camera only becomes an intrusion when you allow it to or make it that way. I even say right in my show if you are going top participate in the show you will videotaped and allowing consent. Most people actually chuckle at the line, but it get's my point across.

It also depends on your use. Some might reject the idea if you are doing it for profit, but most will understand and be fine with it simply by explaining it's only for your own personal and promotional use.

Now granted, I only do stage performances, no walk around.
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Thank-You for your insight Mindpro.

From what I understand, you make it part of your program and don't call attention to it by asking if it's ok, which is an excellent sales technique.

Regarding performance, most of my gigs are close-up with the occasional stage, but I'm looking to capture a mixture. I could see your technique being more applicable to the stage, but not necessarily bad for close-up either.

You've given me something to think about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Demo Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL