The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Screen names... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Gold
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Chris Gold
Hi,

I'm just curious why people use a screen name? Like here, I've seen some names that I honestly think are just strange.

If I have a question for someone on the board here, I refuse to call them by their screen name. More so if it's something like, for example, Magic Sandcrab or whatever. What makes it even more funny is when they post under a name say, Magic Sandcrab. Then, they sign their name, Phil or whatever their name may be.

Why can't people just be who they are? Personally, I think you can pretty much post what you want when you register under an assumed name. This is why I think people register under these names because folks won't know who they are.

Any thoughts?
Chris Gold
TS Entertainment INC
Hollywood, CA
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Dear Magic Sandcrab,

It's just a screen name, dude. Relax.

Remember, aliases are a part of magic history. Just ask Erich Weiss.

-Reis (my real name)
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Or ask VINCENZO ==== VINNY

It's not the name but the person wearing the name.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
When I joined up here at the Café, the application said to make up an unusual screen name and password. Thus "PremiataForneria" was created—It's in reference to an Italian rock band I listen to. I just presumed that if I used my real name, that it would have been taken already. I never really bothered to check because I feel that some screen names lend intrigue into a person's real persona. So if you must know, my real name is Mark Williams. That name, to me at any rate seems so much more mundane than "PremiataForneria", don't you think? Smile
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
I think many people use anonymous screen names because there are lots of sickos in the world, and surely many lurk here. So they don't want their real identity, home address, etc., known. And I don't blame them.

There was a discussion last night around 2:30 a.m. CT (Cafe Time) in the Sweet Or Sour section where someone mentioned that many Café members have multiple identities here. The discussion was deleted because, I'm assuming, it was off topic.

But I am curious to know why some people use more than one screen name here at The Café? Is this common? Do these people have mulitple personalities? Are Peter Marucci and Chrystal one in the same?
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Well, my name's Chris Jones. Have you any idea how many Chris Joneses there are?!

Try registering ChrisJones@hotmail Smile

Besides, if it helps people feel more comfortable, what's the problem?

Call me Chris if you like, I answer to pretty much anything. Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I have to use a screen name in my place of employment and I have a limit of eight characters. I don't want to have a bunch of different names at different websites so I use irossall (my name is Iven Rossall). I like my name and will use it whenever possible but I also don't want to remember how I used it at various websites (irossall, ivenrossall, etc.) I like to make my life as simple as possible. I don't hide behind a phony name, I say what I mean and I mean what I say, I try to be respectful of others. If someone wants to use another title for themselves, I respect that and I never even thought that someone was trying to hide behind it and if they are, I don't care.

Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I better not comment right now, I am at work. Smile

Glen

P.S. Cool new avatar pic, Firedice! (I got to update mine soon, I think.)
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I had a screen name when I first joined. It was my clown name.

Some screen names are to protect the user. There are a few very famous personalities under screen names here that would rather not be subjected to the deluge of PMs that would come from the Café populace.

There are other well known and very famous personalities that use their real names and trust the integrity of the clientele to not plummet them with requests.

Another group of screen names is the folks that joined under pretenses to intentionally harm or harass other members, to stir the pot if you will.

The final group of names is from the folks that just for some personal reason didn't wish to use their real names and they have that privilege. The Café management respects that privilege as long as it's in good taste and they don't "cross the line."

I was originally RiffClown which is a derivative of Riff, the Magical Clown. I have to admit, I'd much rather show up to a magic convention and someone recognize my name from my contributions here than to have to tell them, "Hey, I'm RiffClown from the Magic Café!" and have to wait for them to go, "Oh! Yeah? Why don't you use your real name?"

My two cents, if you have a reason to not use your name, then that's your choice. Me personally, I'd rather be recognized for who I am. Smile

Before anyone asks, I do have several clues as to the famous people (I believe I could name three, one of which is not known for magic but for their acting) that are under pseudonyms and we have to respect their wishes for anonymity.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-09-08 13:03, Firedice27 wrote:
It's just a screen name, dude. Relax.
I can picture Firedice27, with a Ace Ventura accent, saying that.

Let's hear it again:

"It's just a screen name, dude. Relax."

LOL!
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Randy: Smile

Wayman...

...Not psuedo...

...my real name.

But then anonymity is attainable when you're unknown!!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Wolfgang.

Ha! You're incorrect in your assumption...I'm really Vinnie, although it's nice to be compared with Peter. They said that every man has a feminine side...amazing what a bit of makeup will do to change appearances! Smile
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Here's Elvis saying it:

"It'sjustascreennamedude... Relax. Thankyouverymuch."

And here's Chewbacca:

"Aaaawwwwrrrgggg-growr!"

And Yoda:

"Screen-name only it is... Relax you shall."

(Man, I need to get a life.)
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I use a screen name for almost the same reason David Seth Kotkin uses David.... you know...it sounds way cooler. Imo...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
Ditto! I use a screen name because "I" am a very boring person but Scott Grimm is not. Well, at least Scott is my middle name.

Eric
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I use NUMS for Nothin' Up My Sleeve the name of my entertainment company also it beats mty last name which is Teate. I have heard every UDDERley stupid joke that could be thought of.

NUMS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Screen names... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL