The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » My First Attempt... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
...at 2 of the "Big and Bad" sculptures from the new Buster Balloon DVD...

Image


Not great, but not too bad either. I had several issues with Rex with his eye structure so I finally gave up with the "mean look" for my first try.
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
I don't have the video for comparison, but they are both great. I really love the shark!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Thanks Jay. The shark ran me about a half an hour to make...Rex took me a mere 2 hours! HA! I plan to whip out Rex's left and right at the restaurant. (grin)
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Very nice! I almost like him better without the eyebrows. Makes him look kind of dopey (in a cute way that everyone wants to hug).

I have gotten the T-Rex down to about 35 minutes. I made one just the other day for a senior citizen gathering. They really don't ask for anything so I just put on a bit of a show as I wrestled with all the 646s. Acting as though the 3 foot round suddenly weighs 500 pounds over your head and slowly crushes you is also a fair bit of fun.

But on a less enthusiastic note I will tell you the same as I have told others. Try to avoid posting pictures on open forums when it comes to the material on this set. I may be way out of line in saying so but I am the kind of guy who can backtrack a sculpture from sight and I know I am not the only one. Lets make sure that the only people who know the true value of the set are just those who dished out for it.


Nice work,
Dylan
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
An interesting thought, Dylan.

I'm not sure what it is that you are encouraging people not to post. From what I've seen, good portion of things on the set have already been posted elsewhere, by Buster himself.

Also, if you don't want to share what is on the set other than with those who "dished out" for it, why would you make them for people at all. That would be the best way to make sure nobody else ever finds out what is on it.

I'll admit, I was not fortunate enough to be able to purchase this amazing volume. But not because I'm to cheap to shell out the dough. I had bought a new laptop the week before any info about this release had come out. Had I known before I bought my laptop, I would have gone without. And I curse the gods for it every time I'm compelled to open up a thread relating to this masterwork series.

I would love to be able to get this series now, but unfortunately I'm not able too. That's no reason for me to be kept in the dark from what is out there. It's only a DVD, in the end. And if I am not able to recreate what I see from the pictures, like you are, I may be inspired to create something of my own. Which is way more valuable than anything anyone could put on a DVD.

I hope you enjoy keeping your secret, and sincerely hope your life is all the more full and rich by doing so.

Alex.
Weird is part of the job.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Nice models, they put my poodle to shame!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 14:50, Alex Rapattoni wrote:
An interesting thought, Dylan.

I'm not sure what it is that you are encouraging people not to post. From what I've seen, good portion of things on the set have already been posted elsewhere, by Buster himself.

Also, if you don't want to share what is on the set other than with those who "dished out" for it, why would you make them for people at all. That would be the best way to make sure nobody else ever finds out what is on it.

I'll admit, I was not fortunate enough to be able to purchase this amazing volume. But not because I'm to cheap to shell out the dough. I had bought a new laptop the week before any info about this release had come out. Had I known before I bought my laptop, I would have gone without. And I curse the gods for it every time I'm compelled to open up a thread relating to this masterwork series.

I would love to be able to get this series now, but unfortunately I'm not able too. That's no reason for me to be kept in the dark from what is out there. It's only a DVD, in the end. And if I am not able to recreate what I see from the pictures, like you are, I may be inspired to create something of my own. Which is way more valuable than anything anyone could put on a DVD.

I hope you enjoy keeping your secret, and sincerely hope your life is all the more full and rich by doing so.

Alex.


I tend to agree with Alex here on this...

I'm not teaching how to make these sculptures, just spreading some joy around. If you're able to re-construct a sculpture of this degree just from looking at it, then my hats off to ya...but I think that the majority of us can't do that. (I'm guessing)

Tonight, I shall tackle INVADER 2.0...

One of these days, I may get the courage to go after the Gorilla...but it scares me to much right now... Smile
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
Looks great, Chris! Can't wait to see more of your progress!
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 01:38, Juliegel wrote:
Very nice! I almost like him better without the eyebrows. Makes him look kind of dopey (in a cute way that everyone wants to hug).

I have gotten the T-Rex down to about 35 minutes. I made one just the other day for a senior citizen gathering. They really don't ask for anything so I just put on a bit of a show as I wrestled with all the 646s. Acting as though the 3 foot round suddenly weighs 500 pounds over your head and slowly crushes you is also a fair bit of fun.

But on a less enthusiastic note I will tell you the same as I have told others. Try to avoid posting pictures on open forums when it comes to the material on this set. I may be way out of line in saying so but I am the kind of guy who can backtrack a sculpture from sight and I know I am not the only one. Lets make sure that the only people who know the true value of the set are just those who dished out for it.


Nice work,
Dylan


This is true! I made that shark already a month ago because I saw a picture of it online from someone a Busters class. The dinosaur is in Magic magazine.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Actually the Rex in balloon magic is a ride inside...the Rex I made is a tad different....
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 14:50, Alex Rapattoni wrote:
An interesting thought, Dylan.

I'm not sure what it is that you are encouraging people not to post. From what I've seen, good portion of things on the set have already been posted elsewhere, by Buster himself.

Also, if you don't want to share what is on the set other than with those who "dished out" for it, why would you make them for people at all. That would be the best way to make sure nobody else ever finds out what is on it.

I'll admit, I was not fortunate enough to be able to purchase this amazing volume. But not because I'm to cheap to shell out the dough. I had bought a new laptop the week before any info about this release had come out. Had I known before I bought my laptop, I would have gone without. And I curse the gods for it every time I'm compelled to open up a thread relating to this masterwork series.

I would love to be able to get this series now, but unfortunately I'm not able too. That's no reason for me to be kept in the dark from what is out there. It's only a DVD, in the end. And if I am not able to recreate what I see from the pictures, like you are, I may be inspired to create something of my own. Which is way more valuable than anything anyone could put on a DVD.

I hope you enjoy keeping your secret, and sincerely hope your life is all the more full and rich by doing so.

Alex.


I do not mean to come off as some sort of jerk trying to horde things for myself if that is how you feel.

I am a human being and I can only see through the bias of my own mind. I have watched people post pictures of every model taught on a DVD they just bought and it completely ruins any surprise or desire. "You have a bird body there, they used a 160 for the legs, and oh look a heart makes up the chest". Happens every time. This may not be your situation, you may not see as I do but I can not know what you are thinking only what I do.

I am not the police and you are breaking no law. We are all adults here and you can post what you want. My opinion however is that when something exclusive is displayed so openly it can become cheapened. This is normally not my view when it comes to balloons and I have fought from the exact position you do now. This however is different. The set was intended for exclusivity and it even mentions it in the credits.

To answer the rather abrasive question you posed I suppose it is that I do not make the things for people. Perhaps I should clarify. With very rare exception (the seniors I mentioned for example) I never make things fresh off a DVD. To me originality means a lot and I feel a bit of discomfort whenever I am praised for work I know truly belongs to someone else. The reason I bought the set at all was because I understood it was a big deal and that Buster uses a different set of ideas about balloons that I considered worth looking at. I have taken elements of what was taught and now apply it into my own work. The shark teeth for example have breathed new life into sculptures I considered a dead end upon original conception.

I understand where you coming from better then most believe me. As I have said before we are free to do as we wish and the opinions we hold are only our own. No attacks and no shame are intended nor required.


Dylan
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Oh and Christopher. The Gorilla is not so bad. Give the head a go and I know you will be hooked.


Dylan
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 18:48, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Actually the Rex in balloon magic is a ride inside...the Rex I made is a tad different....


You are correct but not much difference other than the round for the tummy.
Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
I have to say Chris, I've only been doing twisting seriously since this summer and found the gorilla no problems at all, I can also understand dylans point, as I know even I can backtrack some models from photos and this dvd set is an investment. But on balance I don't think it's too much of a problem personnally.

I'm just so frustrated that my dvd's haven't arrived yet!! :o( Everyone else seems to have got theirs and I'm still sat around waiting, perhaps I should emmigrate to the land of the free and the home of the brave just for shorter postal delays!! :o)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » My First Attempt... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL