The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Renaissance of Escape Artistry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
Just in case you didn't get this via email...

Dear Friends:

Hello! As we are writing this, news comes to the United States from England about the endurance stunt of world-renowned escape artist/magician/street performer David Blaine. David will spend 44 days in a clear Plexiglas box, suspended over the Thames River, adjacent to London's famous Tower Bridge, with only water to drink! News of this is being televised all over the world.

Also occurring in London, world famous escape artist Thomas Solomon is currently working on a television special, which is being filmed in many different venues, including street performances, actual challenges, etc. As many of you already know, Thomas was featured in this month's Genii magazine, with cover photo and an extensive article.

My friends, the main point of this letter is to state that escape is definitely experiencing a WORLDWIDE rebirth or renaissance. It has not been easy and, in fact, has been an uphill battle at times, even within our own magic community. But I believe that because escape artists are updating their act, the art is finally beginning to earn its place among the other respected fields of magic.

Sheila and I consider it a privilege to be a part of this fascinating art. Having just returned from some escape performances in Madrid, Spain, we were fortunate enough to be featured on the front page of the Los Angeles Times (Aug 27) (http://www.rsicopyright.com/ics/fulfillment/eprint.html?rep=16:295385&icl=3.5555.675565-47984 or an article including all of the photos at http://broadband.hrticket.com/broadband/la-me-escape27aug27.story). That same article also contained interviews with Mike Griffin, Kristen Johnson and Penn Jillete. A few days later, on August 31, the San Bernardino Sun ran a different article http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208%257E12588%257E1602251,00.html. Since that time, many newspapers throughout America have picked up the stories. Then on Sept 4, Fox News interviewed us as a lead-in story to the current David Blaine stunt (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96469,00.html). On top of this, last week two TV shows contacted us. We also discovered another website about our escape industry at http://www.linkingpage.com/092003a.html. If you want to see how many escape artists are out there right now getting work, just check out Magic Times.

As many of you know, last April, we held our First Annual Escape Artists Convention in Indianapolis, IN (and are currently in the planning stages for the second annual convention). Next year’s convention will be held April 24th & 25th, 2004 and we invite all of you to attend.

Last fall, we were proud to be featured on the main stage at the Hollywood Magic Castle with our “21st Century Escape Act”; especially since escape acts are seldom seen at the Castle. The previous spring we presented our escape lecture at the Castle as well.

In two weeks, we will be performing our all escape show at Levee Park, Winona, MN, as part of their "Victorian Fair". We would like to take this opportunity to invite all of you to the show! Our shows will be at 12 noon and 3 pm, each day, on Sept 20 and 21. Buttons for admission will be on sale for $5 in advance and $7 at the fair. Here is a link to the event: http://www.victorianfair.org. We would love to see you there!

My friends, there has never been a better time for escape artists. Escapes are HOT again, and we encourage YOU to take advantage of it!

Above all, have fun and stay safe!

Yours in escape,

Mark & Sheila
Cannon's Great Escapes
P.O. Box 703
Yucaipa, CA 92399
http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.net
magicduo@cannonsgreatescapes.net
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Bretigan....thanks for posting this everyone to see. We got this and planned on posting, but the day has been hectic.

Our art is definitely getting some publicity. Bill Shirk's book, Secrets Of An Aging Houdini, comes out in October. Kristen Johnson has read and provided a review of the book. It looks like her review will be on the back cover of the book.
Thanks again and congrats to everyone!!!

Kevin
Living Illusions
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
With regard to David Blane's efforts in London, it seems as though some of the locals (after a Saturday night spent in the local pub) have added to the event by throwing eggs and or hitting golf balls at the box.

Whilst his attempt is an endurance of mind and will, it seems he has also been able to redesign that accient form of public amusement 'the Stocks'.

I wish him well.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hi Stuart,

It gets worse.

Latest news is that they are torturing him by parking a burger van next to him. Apparently the smell of onions is drving him crazy. Smile

Here's a serious question though .... he's made a big thing of being in isolation, with no form of communication with anyone.

But ... it's been reported that he's having daily chats with his girlfriend (they've even provided pictures).

Perhaps he's not so isolated after all?

James.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

And it's not going to be a Guinness World Record.....funny that.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Um ... it is actually.

Going in as the record refused the most number of time as a world record! Smile

Ok ... ok ... I'll shuffle off now ... before someone throws eggs at me! Smile
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Just an update. The latest thing is a remote controlled helicopter has attempted to drop a hamberger with fries (no word on if a diet soda was involved) into Mr Blaine's plastic box.

Reports indicate that he refused the offer and the helicopter sped away over the London skyline.

I do not think the crew and Mr Blaine knew just what they were letting themselves in for when they started this.

On another bit of news regarding the renaissance of Escape Artistry, good luck James for Saturday the 27th.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Renaissance of Escape Artistry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL