The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Nielsen Chop tea cup: Sticky Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
306 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
Hi, I'm writing to find someone who has purchased the Nielsen Chop Tea Cup and has discovered, like me, that the finish on the balls is producing some weird effects.

Nielsen Chop Tea Cup, from Magic Warehouse. The balls are red painted wood, with a glitter finish. The finish is extremely sticky, and I want to know how you remedied it. Its just out of the box, so it could be that it hasn't cured, but I doubt that.

I want to try paint thinner and strip off the layer of glitter. I'm not sure that would help, and would like to get feedback.

~Nick
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5288 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have this set and the balls are not sticky at all!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Mine was old, but not sticky too

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
Well, no big deal. I had red spray paint, gold paint, and I finished them up fine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This may sound like a no-brainer, but did you even consider e-mailing, writing or telephoning Norm Nielsen?

Magic Warehouse does not make these things. Magic Warehouse is simply a retailer. Go to the source.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
I didn't, because I didn't purchase them from him. I'm also not comfortable complaining to the source since its new to me purchasing magic props, and if you buy a suit, you expect it to be worth it, but on the other hand, magicians are expected to be craftsmen on their own to some extent. (I ended up painting them.)

In other words, to be an amateur magician and make a complaint against a manufacturer seems pushy to me. Its not like its my bread and butter.

~Nick
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 14:15, ViolinKing wrote:
I didn't, because I didn't purchase them from him. I'm also not comfortable complaining to the source since its new to me purchasing magic props, and if you buy a suit, you expect it to be worth it, but on the other hand, magicians are expected to be craftsmen on their own to some extent. (I ended up painting them.)

In other words, to be an amateur magician and make a complaint against a manufacturer seems pushy to me. Its not like its my bread and butter.

~Nick

I also have three of these cups and have not had the problem with any of the balls being sticky.

As far as complaining to the craftsman, that is crucial in the magic business - and it should be in every other business but it is not so. Whether you are a complete amateur or a long-time professional, craftsmen rely on all the feedback that they can get, from anyone and everyone, positive or negative. If they are unaware of something, they cannot fix it. They appreciate it when the users of their products tell them directly about any issues they are having, and in many cases, they can offer suggestions that would help fix/solve the problem(s). If all else fails, most of them will replace defective products. In short: do not be afraid to speak directly with the creators and manufacturers of the products you use. Not only does it help bring about better products, but it can often be the faster way to a solution.

I was going to suggest getting the a spray-on matte lacquer of some sort, but it seems like you have solved your issue.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
DEFINITELY EMAIL Norm Nielsen (altho he's out of town in Los Angeles through the weekend). He would WANT TO KNOW. It is possible the dealer switched the balls.... or the whole set is a bad copy).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 14:15, ViolinKing wrote:

~Nick

So, let's see. It's not pushy to make a complaint in an open forum, but it's pushy to call or e-mail them and ask them if there is something that could be done about it.

This reminds me a bit of those guys over at one of the musical instrument forums I occasionally visit. If something goes wrong with one of their instruments, they bandy it about all over the forum. They start making assertions, etc., then finally, someone who knows the score comes in and tells them what's what.

I know Norm and Lupe, and I know that if ANYONE purchased one of their props from any of the dealers that handled them, and there was something apparently wrong with it, they would want to know. They would also take care of the problem.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I will say one more thing about the whole 'going direct to the creator/manufacturer' idea: Many of the creators and manufacturers like Viking (George Robinson), Norm Nielsen, Mikame (Yonezo Mikame, now sadly deceased), Owens Magic Supreme, etc. are all very well known and respected in the magic community as such; they did not achieve that respect and their levels of respective quality without listening to their customers. As I said before, they strive for it in order to maintain the reputations they have earned and to continue providing the magic community with superb props and effects.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is absolutely correct, especially in the case of people like George Robinson and Norm Nielsen. Chalet is another company that listened to all its customers. When you consider that most high quality magic props are handmade, and these are done in small runs, feedback is one of the key elements to the success of the small magic company.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Nielsen Chop tea cup: Sticky Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL