The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pocket management (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Merry_Magician101
View Profile
New user
I only got
15 Posts

Profile of Merry_Magician101
Hi guys,
I have a question about pocket management. I know ther are allot of posts about pocket management but I wanted to do another one.
I want to buy something to organize my pockets. I looked at the HC holsters but they look very expensive. I know that they will problebly last a life-time but my budget is not that big. so I was wondering if you guys got some tips for me.
I am sorry for my bad English, I am from Belgium
I'am from Belgium so my English i'snt that good
Iam sorry for that
Merry_Magician101
View Profile
New user
I only got
15 Posts

I am thinking of buying a shoulder holster like this one http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/918a/c616
it looks like a good fit for my decks, pens, coins, etc. it also got a key jojo. maybe I could make a pull out of it.
Tell me if you like it
Iam sorry for that
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How long have you been performing professionally?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Merry_Magician101
View Profile
New user
I only got
15 Posts

I am not a proffesional but I have been doing magic for 7 years.
I don't do allot of stage gigs but more walakround on events.
Iam sorry for that
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just put props in the pockets of my suit and concentrate on about 6 routines. I can do more with the deck of cards, if needed. If I'm performing a longer set, I'm doing a stand-up show, not strolling.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
A suggestion before you purchase the shoulder holster...itemize all of the effects that you THINK that you will perform and bring them with you to the "gig". After the night is over,check off the effects that you actually performed. It might surprise you how far one can go in two hours with a deck of cards,TT,a few coins and a pleasant personality.The $$$ you save on the holster might be better spent on a night out with your gal.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have a shirt with two front pockets.
a vest over that with two side pockets.
and the two front pockets of my pants.
it seems to hold all that I need for a two hour
walk around magic gig.
Merry_Magician101
View Profile
New user
I only got
15 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-11-11 11:41, Rocky wrote:
A suggestion before you purchase the shoulder holster...itemize all of the effects that you THINK that you will perform and bring them with you to the "gig". After the night is over,check off the effects that you actually performed. It might surprise you how far one can go in two hours with a deck of cards,TT,a few coins and a pleasant personality.The $$$ you save on the holster might be better spent on a night out with your gal.
I already did this in my last gigs.
do some of you guys request a secial vest for magic? or should I sew some extra pockets in my normal vest?
I have seen a vest with 76 pockets but I don't think you need that much pockets. or do you guys maybe request a special pouch for carriein my props? not to big but big enough for a deck of cards, some extra cards, a TT, some coins and a sharpie?
Iam sorry for that
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22838 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Merry Magician101, your question is all geared to what you want to present in your gigs. That vest is intended to be worn under a jacket, not out in the open, by the way.

I think what is important is that you look good, and correctly dressed or the event. Jeans or baggy cargo pants is okay for outside strolling in a park, but not for a dinner party. This will dictate your selection how to carry props.

If you wear a sport coat or blazer, then all you need is a few dividers for your pockets. I made some dividers with poster board and sewn lining material around it, then placed small pockets on it for certain props I need to know exactly where they were.

If you are doing table hopping then there are several choices to look at. A mens travel shaving kit bag will work for carrying a Chop Cup around.

There is a nice thin case sold that has a drawer, that pulls out and can access other props.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Try weaning yourself off of some of your weaker material. Limit yourself to two decks of cards. If you do a chop cup, make sure it is small enough to fit in your jacket pocket without a huge bulge. Have your jacket tailored to fit the props and wallets you carry. Don't try to carry your whole show on you.

All you need is about 15 minutes of material, if you are doing walk around. If you are doing it right, when you walk into the room, you can take the number of tables that are in the room, divide those into the number of minutes you have to perform. If you have 30 tables, and five hours, that's 10 minutes per table.

Now that's an extreme example. You are more likely to have 20 tables and 3 hours. That would be roughly 9 minutes per table. This doesn't give you any break time, though. You can entertain two tables at once if you know how to do it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Remember..the people who are are choosing a restaurant are doing so for the food...the magician is a nice way to spend the time waiting for the food to be prepared but he/she is not the sole purpose of the experience.If folks leaving are complaining because the magician only did one card trick at the table, they picked the wrong venue to see a full close-up magic show. Start out with a deck of cards,a mini chop cup, a TT,and a couple of sponge balls. The other 72 pockets on the vest can be used to put your tips. The best experience from working restaurants can actually be the practice one gets communicating with people and audience management. The food can sometimes arrive before your ambitious card to flaming wallet routine is completed, so ad-libbing and re-structuring of effects can also be valuable lessons learned.You will obviously become quite good at those effects which you narrow down to include in your material. I think that most of the local guys in my area focus on mastering 5-10 super solid routines rather than performing 15-25 effects adequately...seriously...76 pockets is overkill. Listen to the guys who have already explained that the pocket space provided by their clothing is sufficient for their walk-around performances and keep us posted on your experiences.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Most newbie magicians carry as much as possible. They buy holsters and vests custom socks and undergarments just to cram more stuff onto their person.

Most pros carry very little. They carry only what they need
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
timmyjimmy
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of timmyjimmy
I have a wonderful JOL wallet. And in it I have about five packet tricks. This is great for walk around. I especially like it because, 1) it is leather, 2) it is practical. And 3)I think it is nice when moving from table to table to be able to do something totally different when the table you just finished performing for is looking over at where you are now at. In my JOL wallet is Emerson & West Sympathetic Cards, John Cornelius "Marked For life." Jazz Aces With A Twist By Doug Gorman, Bizarre Twist By Paul Harris and Mis Direction by Steve Dobson. I also carry a set of regular size "Old Cards" from Christian Schenk to perform Corner of Piccadilly. Of course this would go into a shirt pocket prior to performing.
I bring the wallet out and ask "have you ever seen a magic wallet?" This usually gets some kind of response. Usually laughter and some such joke about lack of money, and I comment about my wallet has no money in it (As I show the wallet empty but haven't yet turned it spectator side so they can see all the cards)as I show them the empty money pocket.
Anyway, this is a great use of one pocket.
I do not have to perform all of the effects in the wallet, but it is nice to do maybe three at most. Sometimes less. The spectator sees all of what's in there... sort of... and this makes them WANT to see more. Creating curiosity.
Leave em wanting more!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 14:42, Merry_Magician101 wrote:
I am thinking of buying a shoulder holster like this one http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/918a/c616
it looks like a good fit for my decks, pens, coins, etc. it also got a key jojo. maybe I could make a pull out of it.
Tell me if you like it

Do you really need someone to validate this? Buy whatever makes you happy and give us a report.
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Performing in a jacket of some sort gives the most pocket room and bulges the least. I sew in a divider into each pocket which doubles the carrying space. It's always nice to carry some effects that you can personalize to your spec...I've had more than a few..I wish I had this trick with me for this particular spectator moment.
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
I'm doing a lot of multimedia lately in my day job, and am carrying small video and audio recorders and small microphones. I'm trying to fit it in a suit jacket. A photographer friend suggested this and I immediately thought of you all, and how it could double for magic.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/SeV-Sportcoat.shtml

If you look at the price, it's really about the same price as a nice sportcoat that doesn't have all the pockets. But it does look awesome.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Not sure if it's still in print or not, but the book Pocket Power is what you need. It talks about pocket management and using pockets for productions, ditching etc.
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
@pepka any details on the author etc. I tried googling but with no luck,

Tony
Merry_Magician101
View Profile
New user
I only got
15 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-01 10:18, fyi2 wrote:
@pepka any details on the author etc. I tried googling but with no luck,

Tony

I found one of them. it do is the e book version.
http://www.lybrary.com/pocket-power-p-14......rs_id=77

Me
Iam sorry for that
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
127 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
I like my High Caliber Ricochet. It has just enough space and frees up my pockets very nicely.

http://www.hcmagic.com/ricochet.html
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pocket management (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL