The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Questions about mixing in-&-out in a routine of escapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Hello all
As I think about potential routines to create a show, I keep wondering about the following:
I like the comedic in-&-out routines, using either the well known rope or chain ties, or perhaps the more involved routines like the suit jacket escape..
As I have learnt from the more experienced folk on this forum, there is a very real downside to these routines in that they project to the audience that escapes can be really quick and easy.

So my main question is this, will having an in-&-out piece in a show colour the perspective of the audience for the entire show - thereby loosing some of the impact of the "real escapes"
To give a specific example, let's say you do an in-&-out piece using thumb cuffs / oval shackles (do audiences really fall for those still?) or a rope tie. Later in the show you do a mail bag or similar container escape where your hands and possibly feet are chained or shackled.
Will the earlier in-&-out piece weaken the container escape, or does the fact that it is a different piece allow them to "reset" and forget that earlier you easily removed your hand from a seemly secure restraint?

Should a show which includes escapes try to keep the mood "serious" for the escapes and not trivialize them with a comedic routine? I realize we may be getting into personal choices here, but I'm looking for some thoughts from those that have been down this road and may be able to help me avoid some wasted time with rookie mistakes.

Thanks as always for thoughts and suggestions form those who have been the and done that.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Think of a roller coaster. It has highs and lows, peaks and troughs.

I was taught that a show should resemble that coaster rather than continuously climb throughout.

So you need pieces like an in/out escape to balance the more daring stunts.

However, I believe if you've used cuffs for a comedy routine (be them thumb cuffs, oval, or any other type) you can't then use another set in a later escape because you've just proved you can escape cuffs so easily you can also get back in them again.

What I like about the Suit Jacket type routine is that it isn't really in/out. You're escaping the jacket, the cuffs are only seen to have been removed just once.

How that fits in an escape show I'm unsure. Is it too "magical"? That's for the individual to decide. I'm still on the fence as to whether it fits me. I'm playing with it to try and find the right routine for me. One of those works in progress I think is still on YouTube if you want to check out my channel.

One thing I am sure of is any show needs to evoke a series of emotions and comedy is always good if you can "do funny"... Remember, not everyone can Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Questions about mixing in-&-out in a routine of escapes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL