The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Kornhauser Column (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I have really been enjoying the Kornhauser Column. Very humorous and significant.

I especially enjoyed the November 2011 column about performer's ego. I can relate to wanting people tell me "great job" after a show and I get sick of some of my friends asking me after they perform "so how was it?" "how did it look?" over and over 10 times.

Would it be fair to say that once a performer has a highly developed perspective that then they are less dependent upon whether or not people praise them afterwards? Meaning, they already have a such a well formed identity that they are much less dependent on drawing life from people praising them after they perform to build up their shaky identity?

That's why I love street performing, you get very tangible immediate feedback. They either put money in the hat or they don't. Also I love how there's always someone who will walk off from the show, keeps me humble and keeps me from getting an overinflated ego (hopefully)...
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 19:05, Tim Friday wrote:
Would it be fair to say that once a performer has a highly developed perspective that then they are less dependent upon whether or not people praise them afterwards? Meaning, they already have a such a well formed identity that they are much less dependent on drawing life from people praising them after they perform to build up their shaky identity?

To put it another way...

It seems that many performers invest too much of their identity in their performance. Their whole identity hinges on whether or not people tell them "good job" after a show. If they receive praise they are on a high for weeks after, if not they go into a month long depression.

It's as if the value of their performance is their lifeblood, and they suck it all up, and if it is good or bad greatly affects them.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
The December issue contains one of the best articles I have ever read. It applies to everyone. Kornhauser has really nailed your future in magic in his column. The name of the game is ENTERTAINMENT, not fooled you!!!!!!
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
579 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Mark's articles are always great.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Mark Kornhauser is my hero.
His articles are very profound and entertaining.
I read them before I read anything else.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Did you catch Hansel Santiago's letter in the November 2012 issue of MAGIC? He said it should be called "Top Ten Reasons for Not Being a Magician"!

Ouch! Mark Kornhauser may be harsh, but he's rarely less than honest.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Magic needs more harsh. We use to have folks like Charlie Miller and Senator Crandall to whack us upside the head and keep us honest and grounded. Mr. Kornhauser is a fine addition to this long lost tradition of unabashed criticism.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Exactly! Well put, Payne.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Kornhauser Column (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL