The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Camping Close-up (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi all, I don't often visit this thread, but I wanted to post something I have tried and think is lots of fun.

Here in California we go camping at the great state parks, from Yosemite to Big Sur and Santa Cruz, Monterey, and beyond.

I have lots of fun around dusk bicycling from campsite to campsite with a portable table doing a few closeup tricks for each campsite.

This is an ideal situation, it's not like people have somewhere else to go, they are sitting around a campfire talking and maybe cooking.

This is a very appreciative and somewhat captive audience that loves free entertainment.

Anyway, just throwing this idea out there, you campers should try this out.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That's a great idea Bill!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Sounds like a blast, sometimes I wish I lived out west.

Seems like in that environment it would work best not to hustle them for tips, and as you say you offer it as free entertainment.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Oh man, I am so green, I never thought of asking for tips!

In thin environment a beer is more likely...
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Here in the Carlsbad area, between Oceanside and Del Mar there is a spot where folks camp out on the beach by pitching a tent. There is a fee of course, but there is nightly entertainment courtesy of the campers just like you. I used to stay at The Occidental in Little Italy, whilst I was home hunting and sometimes, I stayed at the beach camp on occasion, to save some coin.

This is one of San Diego's best kept secrets if you want to save some money during your visit here. There are only two or three spots where camping on the beach is legal in the entire area. This is one of them.

I got inspired to entertain some guests here and there, whilst I was staying there.
Great post Bill! I had forgotten my fun at the beach experience. Nights sure were cold though. Lol

Click here

You are correct, most folks insisted on offering me a beer or a shot of jack, but I did get tipped on occasion, just having fun.

Being a guest, it is permissible to "socialize" as they call it, with your entertainment.

It's good to see you in here on occasion Bill!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2011-11-12 09:54, Devious wrote:
It's good to see you in here on occasion Bill!

Thanks Devious! I used to live in Del Mar that is just an incredible area.

Here are two pics from our last camping trip this year, you can see what the scene is like.

This is CA State Park Seacliff, right on Monterey Bay. There are maybe 200 rigs up and down the sea wall, so be careful with those complimentary beverages, or show quality could suffer as the night wears on!

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/camp1.jpg

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/camp2.jpg
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
What kind of effects do you do?How about starting a blog so you can tell stories and show pictures.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-11-13 10:17, bluemagic wrote:
What kind of effects do you do?How about starting a blog so you can tell stories and show pictures.

Yes Bill, I was curious as well... What type of effects? Individual tricks, a set of routines, a full show? Please share...
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi All,

I walk up or ride my bike looking for a group of people sitting around a campfire or table. I ask them if they would like to see a magic trick, and things get started. So this is somewhat like a restuarant situation with table hopping, but you are also entering someone's home space, and you have to be aware if they are currently relaxing or busy with something else around the campsite.

I might start with an Okito box, which leaves me with four coins. Then if my table surface is good, I like Monedas Brisas, this is a very fast four coin vanish and recovery. Followed by Peregrination by Eric Jones. Then a fairly simple four coin matrix that introduces playing cards into the mix.

With cards I might do some flourishes and the Ambitious Card to Real Man's Wallet. I have the Wallet loaded with a few packet tricks. If I have a table with a decent surface I like McDonald's Aces as well. An older audience with some time might like "out of this world" or some other mental effect like PowerBall 60. A brief color changing knives routine also works well for camping.

The biggest prop I might carry is a Benson Bowl and wand. I have a sponge ball routine that starts with a purse frame, goes through the Benson Bowl, does some hand vanishes, and ends up with "two in the hand, one in the pocket." When all three balls have vanished they are found back under the bowl. This is especially good if children are present.

The whole performance can be short or long depending on the reception and the vibe at the campsite. Actually I think YOU guys have some great experience with this type of environment. I have done close up magic for many years, and worked a table at corporate events where strollers come by, but I have NOT just set up a table on the sidewalk and started doing magic for complete strangers!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Your sponge work rocks Bill! I also like the new two finger vanish move you created recently.

A few years back in Phoenix at The Danny Dew/Bert Easley I.B.M. Ring meeting,
I was seated near the back row, next to a very well known stage magician.

He started playing around with some sponge balls. I was intrigued
because he is a stage performer. His handling was rough, but decent.

In the room were also, George Sands, Ed Cashman, Ed Rosenthal,
Herb Easley, Jerry Ferguson, and Richard Steele.

We were still waiting for the guest lecturer to show up at the venue,
when in walks Eugene Burger. He was in town on other business.

The "well known" magician quickly put away his sponge balls,
he had a high level of respect for Eugene, but had never met him.

He didn't want to embarrass himself, by holding these simple props.
He asked me, "Do you think Eugene has ever done spongework"?

Eugene greeted most of the magicians and guests in the room, and then asks,
"May I share a short little story, before the lecture starts?"

"Of course, we all shouted". Guess what Eugene took out of his pockets
to start his story with? You guessed it, the sponge balls!

Bill,
Great lineup in your "Campfire Conjuring" sets!
I've actually never heard of some of them sir! I've got some homework now.
Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Here a idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Camping Close-up (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL