The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Wedding- Strolling Balloon Artist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Hey Guys,

I perform at a couple weddings a year (did one tonight). I am brought in as a distraction for the kids in another room. I usually do a show followed by balloons.

I was wondering how many of you promote being a strolling balloon artist at wedding receptions. What is your approach? How do you advertise this service? etc.

I tried the search but couldn't find anything. Any info you guys can add would be beneficial as this is something I might want to add to my services.
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
I have done a handfull weddings as well. I remember being a kid at a wedding reception. Boring with fancy food that tasted bad to a kid who expected a toy with his food.

I started small. A friends mother was getting married and was very supportive of my work. I worked close with her through the planning process and hit it off with her wedding planner. She liked me but I could tell that my role in the whole thing was not taken very seriously by her (we are the art of low expectations). I did the reception and it was a hit. I was even being asked by the adults for hats and huge stuff. It was a smash.

The planner attended the wedding and say what was going down. She took a handful of my cards along with a fruit hat.

Moral of the story is not to go it alone. Find the people that will do the work for you and are better suited to do it. Locate you local planner. Perhaps work out a percentage deal for each gig they get you. It is not a huge market but it is a pretty easy one to maintain.

Dylan
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Thanks Dylan.

I am putting together a couple new websites in the new year and one will focus on all things balloons. I will be including a page for weddings, grads, and corporate holiday parties (staff not children). Once that is done I will contact all the wedding planners I can find.

Anyone else with other suggestions?
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I do several weddings. Notify all the wedding halls of your services and offer them a percentage for refferals. You will get business.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I’ve done a few wedding but I have no idea how they found me.

Ryan you have to let us know how that works out for you it would be interesting to see if there is a market for this type of event.
Life of Magic!
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
I've done receptions as the magician/balloon twister off in a separate room for the children. Always require a number of paid sitters so that your role is strictly the performer. Most of these jobs came from having done an event for one of the bridal party, a company picnic or birthday party.

Have had children go off to the main hall to show off their balloon hats and then come back with requests for hats for the parents.

And I've done a few receptions as a twister for the main party. Nothing like looking up to see granny dancing across the floor in a huge balloon hat.

Tried once to get a table at a wedding showcase, but they would not include me. Said I just didn't fit the vibe they were after...
Rob Redmon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Rob Redmon
IF you are interested in being part of a wedding showcase (and I'm not saying that is the route to go), I used to work for a company that sponsored lots of them. Here's the scoop...

1. There are LOTS of them in most markets. And they all go for a different niche. If one doesn't have the right "vibe" then look around for one that does.
2. You should be able to find local wedding publications scattered around town that list all the different wedding shows and their contact info.
3. Traditionally, the big score from working a wedding show is the contact list. Vendors are usually supplied this list as part of the cost of booth rental. Since our balloons are so unique, they would probably have a stronger than usual visual impact at the show, but following up from the list is where you get most of the bang from the show.
4. If you can piggyback with another vendor (florist, caterer, DJ) it might be a way to split the booth space and also have access to the contact list. Many times, though, this is frowned upon by whoever is running the show.
5. You might be able to talk another vendor into letting you put up a display piece with contact information in their booth, offering a percentage for any weddings booked from the show.

Like I said before, I'm not sure if a wedding show is the way to go or not. If anyone decides to give it a shot, I'm sure we'd all love to hear about your experience.

- Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Wedding- Strolling Balloon Artist? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL