The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help with putting an act together (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
Scenario:
I'm a 16 year-old kid who wants to go to downtown San Antonio to a small park and do magic there for passer-by's. But I want to show them the joy of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This presents a real challenge downtown to a random audience.
Solution:
Fliers. Hand out a buisiness card or a small flier describing me and Jesus to the reader.
Problem:
What do you think I should put into my act that I can tie in biblically? I do close-up but my specialty is cards. I know I'm speaking to a lot of different sects of Christianity, but (man, I'm trying not to hurt anyone's feelings), try to keep themes to a somewhat liberal view. I only say this because this is the message I know how to talk about. I don't want to exclude anyone. After all, we may have different thoughts on wether or not cards are allowed or how close can one be to another when dancing (if at all), but there is one central truth which ties us all together...

We are brothers and sisters in Christ who binds us. Jesus rose from the dead to eternally redeem us of our sins!!!! And now He lives with his Father in heaven to await the day He shall return to take us home with Him!!!

Man that felt good.

Grace and peace be with you in the one who loves us...

PS
Please pray for my relationship with my first girlfriend and that it remain a relationship rooted in the spirit.
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Good Goals friend.

I only have a few minutes now, so I will come back and add more thoughts later..

To start with, the fliers are a good idea. My suggestion is to put your bio/promo whatever on one side, (not avoiding your faith where appropriate to state it) and the reason you do what you do, and then make the other side a tract that references the Magic of a relationship with Christ.

You may need more than cards, but there are a number of very visual effects that are easy and draw attention. I do the stiff rope, and bang my rings together, do some card flourishes, and pretty soon I have a crowd.

Not every effect I do has a message. But none are negative, or offensive. However I sprinkle my routines with illustrations of sin, and its' effect on lives, and God's Grace and His power and Mercy. The whole Gospel gets told, just not in one dose. So I entertain, and illuminate. At first it is the entertainment that holds, them, but later it is interest in the iluminating words that keeps them.

Not all stay. But some who don't stay today, come back tomorrow, as once the Holy Spirit starts convicting folks, they can't just ignore God anymore.

There is a great thirst out there. Quench it with the word of God.

For specific tips relative to street performing (not Blaine-like, but real street performing) teaching you to draw the crowd, hold the crowd and Close the show, stop over to the sidewalk shuffle forum also.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Tropicalpenguin
Sounds FANTASTIC!!!

Great Ideas BroDavid, I think there's stuff we can all use there.

Use the "KISS" (Keep It Short & Simple) system. Don't worry about specific doctrines/issues.

Just work a simple plan of salvation into your tricks.
for instance;
we're all sinners
Jesus died on the cross for our sins
if we ask him to, he will forgive us of our sins

if you can get that much across, Man you've done something.

And as BroDavid said, all your tricks don't have to be message tricks. In fact I always try to throw in a little humor. It might surprise/shock your audience, to find out that Christians can laugh and have a good time. Sometimes we look to have "Missouri Mule" Religion, so watch the mood, and your facial expressions. I've been told that I look scary at times Smile Smile Smile Smile .
Godspeed
Steve Smile
zzz
Ps We will be praying for you in your dating relationship. You are right; it is very important.
Look up http://www.truelovewaits.com
Z
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
995 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I third what Bro David and Sgiu have suggested. I too do a fair bit of street shows. Not everything has to be bible based. If so, you may find the only ones who will stand and watch for any sort of time are the ones who already believe, and the whole point is trying to reach the ones who don't. It's fine to share with the believers, however your main purpose as you mentioned is to "Get out the message" right? Humor is very helpful too, "The Joy of the Lord is our Strength" . If you want folks to stick around, get them involved in your show somehow. Have them hold something, give them a wand to help make the magic happen. That way they can't just walk off, and others I've found are quite interested in seeing specs help out. This is one way I draw a crowd (build and edge, in street magic terms).
If I could give you any advice, and I don't even know you, it's to have fun, smile, relax and let the Lord shine through you, even when you're trying to sock it to them with the Word! Gets better fruit in my experience.
JoJo Smile
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hi!
First off...its great that you want to use your magic to serve God. Second, you have some great ideas and a lot of enthusiasm that will help you determine the ins and outs on a lot of the side issues in time.
As to holding your crowd...I learned this from Harry Anderson...personally involve a member of the audience in a little drama that doesn't resolve itself until the end of the show. Ie...a burnt bill effect. Borrow it, burn it and don't restore it and return it till later...everyone will hang with you to see if the guy gets the money back, which, in dramatic terms is the end of the magical story of your act. Hope that helps! God bless!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
WandSpin
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of WandSpin
I try to theme a show around Bible stories. It's the mental glue for the kids to remember.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help with putting an act together (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL