The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magical souvenir effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
This may have already been discussed in previous posts, but I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss their ideas and possible share the routines they use in their restaurant magic, that incorporates a magic giveaway/souvenir for the spectator. I'm sure that we've all developed routines in which we are able to give away our business card, but I was thinking about other souvenirs, including cards, coins, etc. I recently read Jim Sisti's column in the 1/2003 issue of MAGIC, which addresses this issue. Mr. Sisti talks about giving away items that have been magically created or altered in some way. The article also includes a nice routine by Paul Green called "Thanks". Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this topic?
Cliff Gregory Wollin
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
mike close has a few routines that end up with the spectators taking a small card, an origami rabbit, an origami frog. i saw something about a guy that would give out one of those cheap ltiile tricks to kids after he does a trick with it. like a paddle thing or some other cheap simple trick. i generally just give out buisness cards because i like to keep my decks of cards for as long as i can.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
I have a bent penny routine(modified version of a penny and dime transpostion I learned on the Ammar Money tapes). I leave them the bent penny. Craig Dixon is selling a device that will bend coins in a flash.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Giveaways often can be sold to the restaurant as a separate issue from your work for them. A number of magicians I know but slum magic at bulk rates and sell it to the restaurant at below suggested retail.

This amounts to the restaurant buying your giveaways and adds a little profit to your side of the deal as well.

When I worked at the New York Lounge, we gave away paper hat tears, paper panty tears (It was a rather adult bar, after all!), and rarely, pencils used in pencil thru quarter (but I think that was one of the guys, not the Bar itself, doing that).

When I worked at Michael Jordan's restaurant in CHicago, we had pencils with the logo on them that were perfect for paddle routines. I used to make the logo disappear and reappear ala the color changing knives, then GIve the pencil to the guest.

They always loved that as the pencil WAS the magic thingee to them.

Simon Lovell uses stickers with his name and contact info. He slaps them on balloon critters, signed cards, cards sealed in envelopes and the like. Great marketing. BTW, the card sealed in a window envelope is a great giveaway, too.

Just some ideas and experiences...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Here are just three give-aways I've used:

1. A signed card which appears inside of a box (Mystery Box or whatever version you choose);

2. The signed card in Simon Aronson's Side-Swiped (which, by the way, is a VERY powerful effect for laymen); and,

3. After performing bottle cap in bottle, I magically remove the bottle cap, write my name and number inside of it, make it penetrate back inside of the bottle, and then give the spectator the bottle with the cap stuck inside. It's most my unique way of giving out my "business card," and the bottle is something the spectator will not only keep but will show to other people.

Regards, Larry D.
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
After magically producing them from thin air, I've started giving out yellow "smilely" balls occasionally on Kid's night. I typically look for kids who don't seem to be having a very good time, and tell I want them to have a smile.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
Thanks to everyone for the nice ideas. I had forgotten about Aronson's Side-Swiped. Anybody have his website or know which dealer sells this?
gkfreed, do you know how I can contact Craig Dixon to purchase the penny bending device? I'll have to check out the Ammar routine. I could also use this device for a particular Xpert coin effect.
I also remembered another effect that I used to do years ago. It's simply making the origami bunny bill. The one where the rabbit pops out of the hat. I used this as a giveaway after producing it via the bill switch. Both children and adult/females loved it.
Cliff Gregory Wollin
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-09-10 00:03, Gregory57 wrote:
...I had forgotten about Aronson's Side-Swiped. Anybody have his website or know which dealer sells this?

Many dealers sell this or check out Simon's WEB site at http://www.simonaronson.com/home.htm

Larry D.
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
For anyone not familiar with Side Swiped, here's a demo site:

http://www.ronjo.com/video_demos.htm
(click on Side Swiped, fourth down on the left)
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Quote:
The article also includes a nice routine by Paul Green called "Thanks".

Thanks!

Regards,

Paul Green Smile Smile Smile
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
I do a psuedo-ambitious card routine where two people sign two diferent cards. The climax is when the signatues end up on the same card, front and back. It's an impromptu variation of "Aniversary Waltz". You'd be surprised how people are willing to keep and cherish that card when it has two signatures as opposed to just one; like in a typical ambitious card routine. The giveaway has a special meaning to them so people will place a value on it and it is not a giveaway for the sake of a giveaway.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Miguel; Is this Psuedo-ambitious card routine written up somewhere or is it your own creation? Or is it adapted from somewhere else ? Thanks.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
The psuedo-ambitious card routine is basically my own creation combining tricks and moves I've learned in the past.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
I also do a bent penny routine. I found that leaving them with the bent penny hightens the impact of the effect because they can hold it in their hands and examine it. It's something they can show to their friends.
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I've recently started bending plastic forks and spoons and I leave them behind for whoever wants them. Some seem to love keeping them.

Anabelle Smile
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Jim paces Tearable Trick. On the restored napkin I print happy birthday or whatever the occasiom is.
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Anabelle,

Have you considered signing the forks, etc. with a Sharpie? Good advertizing.

Dwight Powell
imagealter
View Profile
Regular user
Christopher Griffin
158 Posts

Profile of imagealter
I don't know if this helps but I have developed an effect that allows for a "momento" to be give way at the end. It has been very well received, and I have received additional work as a result of this effect.

It may or may not help you for what type of venue you are looking into but it may give you some good ideas.

Just PM me and I will forward the manuscript.
Christopher
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
Anabelle,

I like your idea about bending plastic forks. Afterall, a restaurant shouldn't mind a few bent plastic forks. It's certainly better than destroying the real silverware.
Cliff Gregory Wollin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magical souvenir effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL