The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magic in the Rain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
It's rather unfortunate that street performance should be relegated to sunny weather. Are there any tricks you've seen that use rain or snow as part of the trick?
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
All business is regulated by the weather.

I don't have much luck in the rain ... I used to try to work under a covered porch near my pitch where people would take cover till it stopped raining, but the people would just mind their own business and pay me little attention if any at all. The second it stopped raining, they would eagerly watch the show ... but not until it stopped raining. I never figured out why.

When it does stop raining, I'd get one of two things ... very eager crowds that wanted to see some magic ... or a bunch of people ticked off as if a little rain has ruined their entire vacation. It's a crap shot, you never know.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:

All business is regulated by the weather.

Nope.
I can think of two right off the bat that care not of weather.
You know why don't act naive.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Blah blah blah - does that have anything to do with the topic at hand? No ... once again you open your mouth without bringing ANYTHING to the table ... just talking to hear the sound of your own voice. GFY

-JoeJoe
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Find a covered pitch, and work it.

As far as effects, try to predict when it will start- then stand with your arms stretch out and proclaim loudly that you will make it rain...

At least you'll get a laugh.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 20:15, JoeJoe wrote:
Blah blah blah - does that have anything to do with the topic at hand? No ... once again you open your mouth without bringing ANYTHING to the table ... just talking to hear the sound of your own voice. GFY

-JoeJoe

I responded directly to your post...so your statement had nothing to do with the topic at hand?
So once again you prove lack of logic?

The OP wanted to know of any tricks that use rain or snow.
I know of none so I didn't post.
You should have done the same. GFYITAWARBB
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
No ... don't go trying to clean up your post ... you said there were two businesses not affected by the weather, but you neglected to tell anyone what they were. You brought NOTHING to the table! The entire point of your post was to say no JoeJoe you are wrong, without offering any logic or reasoning what-so-ever. Your post has nothing of substance or value in it what-so-ever. NOTHING! It is a total pointless waste of time, bandwidth, and drive space.

If you know some business not affected by the weather, perhaps you should bring it to the table and share with the rest of us.

I on the other hand brought something to the table .... I shared my experience busking in the rain. Do you have anything to share about busking in the rain? Because if you just want to idle chit chat about how you don't like me, then I suggest you take it to the "Anything Goes" forum where it belongs. I'm not here to make friends - I'm here to talk shop ... period.

And I stand by every part of my post, including the fact that every business is affected by the weather and if you don't think so I suggest you take a look at what happened in New Orleans after Katrina. Every single business there was affected in some way, shape, or form. Some for the better, some for the worst. But nobody escapes the weather.

-JoeJoe
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 20:49, Ekuth wrote:

But JoeJoe said he did that and it didn't help.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Dude I couldn't even work balloon animals under a covered pitch ... they'd all stand there and ignore me ... and the second it stopped raining, they'd line up for them. Really weird and odd behavior if you ask me, but that's what would happened. After working the rain for two summers, I gave up ... when it rained, I would just go to the bar and hangout with the rest of the staff that couldn't work.

Perhaps a different pitch would yield a different result ... if I had to give advice, I would say try it and see what happens. So by all means ... find a covered pitch and find out what happens.

-JoeJoe
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
@ed: True, but what works/doesn't for one does not cover everyone. My pitch happens to work in the rain. I'm next to a Café and a bookstore, under both a sunshade and a solid roof, so people sought shelter there... can we say captive audience?

Of course it helps that I chose the location with those factors (and others) in mind... *grin*
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
This discussion should be renamed,
"Making Love In The Rain"
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 23:17, Ekuth wrote:
@ed: True, but what works/doesn't for one does not cover everyone. My pitch happens to work in the rain. I'm next to a Café and a bookstore, under both a sunshade and a solid roof, so people sought shelter there... can we say captive audience?

Of course it helps that I chose the location with those factors (and others) in mind... *grin*

I don't know why it's working for you and not for him, but he had a solid roof area and a captive audience as well, which ignored him until after the rain.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
*shrug/questioning glance* What a curious thing to say...
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 22:34, JoeJoe wrote:
Dude I couldn't even work balloon animals under a covered pitch ... they'd all stand there and ignore me ... -JoeJoe

Maybe it's like when people are riding in an ELEVATOR. In the covered pitch people are just trying to maintain there own space.

Just a thought
kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 22:15, JoeJoe wrote:
No ... don't go trying to clean up your post ... you said there were two businesses not affected by the weather, but you neglected to tell anyone what they were. You brought NOTHING to the table! The entire point of your post was to say no JoeJoe you are wrong, without offering any logic or reasoning what-so-ever. Your post has nothing of substance or value in it what-so-ever. NOTHING! It is a total pointless waste of time, bandwidth, and drive space.

If you know some business not affected by the weather, perhaps you should bring it to the table and share with the rest of us.

I on the other hand brought something to the table .... I shared my experience busking in the rain. Do you have anything to share about busking in the rain? Because if you just want to idle chit chat about how you don't like me, then I suggest you take it to the "Anything Goes" forum where it belongs. I'm not here to make friends - I'm here to talk shop ... period.

And I stand by every part of my post, including the fact that every business is affected by the weather and if you don't think so I suggest you take a look at what happened in New Orleans after Katrina. Every single business there was affected in some way, shape, or form. Some for the better, some for the worst. But nobody escapes the weather.

-JoeJoe

Personality has nothing to do with the ridiculousness of your statement and I don't even know you.
Toss in Hurricanes and Tornadoes, Floods and Fire from the sky and yeah weather matters. Only a fool would think that TOTAL destruction wouldn't but the OP was talking about some rain and snow.
FAR from TOTAL DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FLASH! BOOM!
I'll kick off my list with ANYTHING online. How many businesses do you think that covers? More than two?
Then to spice things up I'll give you prostitution.
Basketball comes to mind along with Hockey. Not much rain or snow there. Yeah 14 ft. of snow could hamper a few from getting to the game and all but guess what? Very few are canceled.
I'll not go on as I could for pages since you might have already got my point. If not fine.
There does that make you happy? Does it? Got enough on your table there Joe Joe?
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 22:17, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 20:49, Ekuth wrote:

But JoeJoe said he did that and it didn't help.

Everyone knows that if Joe Joe can't do it it can't be done.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
Weather can and does affect us. But it doesn't have to kill us completely. An observation that I have made is that I have had some incredible shows and seen some incredible shows right after a good soaking rain. Then again, I have had some great shows in the rain too. There's a few fellas here that will attest to that. I guess it all depends on the mindset of the crowd, and the strengths of the performer. Its such a variable thing that one cant really say for sure that it's a hard rule one way or another.

As for snow...no thanks. I HATE the cold that comes with it.

Smile
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 11:05, HerbLarry wrote:
I'll kick off my list with ANYTHING online. How many businesses do you think that covers? More than two?
Then to spice things up I'll give you prostitution.
Basketball comes to mind along with Hockey. Not much rain or snow there. Yeah 14 ft. of snow could hamper a few from getting to the game and all but guess what? Very few are canceled.
I'll not go on as I could for pages since you might have already got my point. If not fine.
There does that make you happy? Does it? Got enough on your table there Joe Joe?

If it is raining or snowing, people stay inside and spend more time online ... thus online sales go up.

If people were planning to go the park or the beach, and it starts raining ... they might go to a hockey or basketball game instead, so they sell more tickets.

Prostitutes can't walk the streets in the rain, so obviously their business goes down ... and the brothels business would go up.

People make decisions on what to do based on what the weather is going to be like. I don't know what planet you are from, but that's how it works here on planet Earth.

-JoeJoe
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 15:06, JoeJoe wrote:

If it is raining or snowing, people stay inside and spend more time online ... thus online sales go up.

So because it rains or snows people are compelled to buy stuff? Site reference please?

Quote:
If people were planning to go the park or the beach, and it starts raining ... they might go to a hockey or basketball game instead, so they sell more tickets.

My experience is that tickets to a sporting event are not purchased on the fly. Did you notice how you used the word might? I did.

Quote:
Prostitutes can't walk the streets in the rain, so obviously their business goes down ... and the brothels business would go up.

Shows what you know about prostitutes.

Quote:
People make decisions on what to do based on what the weather is going to be like.

No excrement Eric!

Quote:
I don't know what planet you are from, but that's how it works here on planet Earth.

I'm from planet reality, where any boob knows that all encompassing statements are not true, you know like "All business is regulated by the weather."
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Are you talking to ME?? YoU Talking to ME!?!?

Leave me out of this Brouhaha please Smile

Personally (getting back to the original query), I like to make it rain occasionally (mojo raindance) and produce snowballs from my hat in the middle of Summer.

Seriously, it is an accepted maxim "out there" that the first show after a good shower (outside, not personal) is usually the best of the day. I thought it was just me until I heard Kenny Lightfoot make the same observation...and then Nick Nicholas. So I assume anyone who has worked out there for any time will find the same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magic in the Rain (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL