The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Measurments (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paulierc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of paulierc
Good morning
Its probably a silly question, but how does everyone go about measuring bubbles and tail length? Is it basically the more you do, the more you just get a feel for it? My problem is when an instruction calls for a 3" tail, I have a hard time getting that accurate and end up with either too much or too little air. The same goes for bubbles usually I make them to big and I run out of balloon.
Anyone have any methods that work for them I could try?

Paul
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
1/2 an inch per twist.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
preston eakins
View Profile
Regular user
battle creek, michigan
184 Posts

Profile of preston eakins
Ok here is my base my hand width bubble is 3 inches if I hold all my fingers steady and reach with pointer and thumb I get another inch extend my thumb I get 2 more and then I measure hand widths from there

for smaller make bubbles counting finger widths to get half inch, inch inch and half etc..

your hand will be different mesuarements so practice that it should help if I am understanding your question correctly
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
The one thing that has allwase drove me nuts, (not far to go) is how bad balloon twisters are at measurments. Yes, you kinda have to play with it till you get it.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
Bad spelling allwase drove me nuts!!! Smile
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 12:16, paulierc wrote:
Good morning
Its probably a silly question, but how does everyone go about measuring bubbles and tail length? Is it basically the more you do, the more you just get a feel for it? My problem is when an instruction calls for a 3" tail, I have a hard time getting that accurate and end up with either too much or too little air. The same goes for bubbles usually I make them to big and I run out of balloon.
Anyone have any methods that work for them I could try?

Paul

One issue is that balloons do NOT always inflate to the same length. So you may have a 3" tail, measure the bubbles perfectly and still not have enough balloon. Another issue is how tight or soft the balloon is. "Burping" too much or not enough will affect how many twists you can get. So, yes, it is a matter of experience and feel. Practice, practice, practice!
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
paulierc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of paulierc
I appreciate all the feedback and advice from everyone. I like the idea of using my hand as a measuring tool, and the information about 1/2" for every twist is also great. It does just come down to practice, practice, practice.

Paul
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
For me, I just got a feel for it. The only time I use my hands as measuring tools is when I am weaving balloons. Don't over-think it. At some point, it should start to come naturally. It's usually better if there is too much tail as opposed to not enough, and I always burp the balloons. If I see that I am running out of tail, I grab the balloon at the end and force the air to stay in place making my bubbles tighter but leaving a little more space for those last twists.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Measurments (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL