The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant final loads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's one reason I don't pass things for examination. Bill Appleton kind of hit on it in his first post in the thread. When you hand things out for examination, you lose time. You may get your props back in seconds. You may get them back in minutes. They may be broken, bent or otherwise damaged. There are ways to imply examinability, such as leaving a prop in reach of the audience or allowing an audience member to hold it for a moment. When you pass props out at the end of a routine, you basically kill your act.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Great point they would be completly real lemons to hand out though. Nothing for them to find about them either.
Jeremy Gates
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Hi I do a chop cup routine table hopping that finishes with a small orange and a lime (real fruit). For years I did this without letting anyone examine them as I thought there was no need. Then one day at the end of the routine someone grabbed at the orange and was obviously shocked to discover it was real! I then realised that others must have also thought that I was using fake possibly collapsable loads (looking at it from a non magical perspective). So now I always end with the line " and check out the fruit it's real"!! Someone invariably does so and I personally have found this further enhances the presentation and dispels one of the laymans lines of thought that the loads were somehow collapsable.
Just my 2 cents based on actual experience which I concede could be different in a stage environment rather than close up.
Regards Steve.................
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Thanks for that I could try having them examined. May not be completly necessary though.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 05:30, topchange52 wrote:
Hi I do a chop cup routine table hopping that finishes with a small orange and a lime (real fruit). For years I did this without letting anyone examine them as I thought there was no need. Then one day at the end of the routine someone grabbed at the orange and was obviously shocked to discover it was real! I then realised that others must have also thought that I was using fake possibly collapsable loads (looking at it from a non magical perspective). So now I always end with the line " and check out the fruit it's real"!! Someone invariably does so and I personally have found this further enhances the presentation and dispels one of the laymans lines of thought that the loads were somehow collapsable.
Just my 2 cents based on actual experience which I concede could be different in a stage environment rather than close up.
Regards Steve.................

I'm willing to bet that the reaction you get from " and check out the fruit it's real"!! is not as strong as the reaction you got when the fellow grabbed the fruit spontaneously.

Here's the thing, Steve. When a spectator reacts spontaneously, that's one thing. When you say " and check out the fruit it's real"!!
then you set up the "well, he didn't let us examine the coins...are they real?" train of thought in the spectator's minds. A good rejoinder to a spontaneous line from the audience is always better than simply putting one of their formerly spontaneous responses into your script.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bill,

I've done the cups and balls for a while now. About 20% of the time, when I bust them out, initially, people comment and express a desire to hold and look at the cups. I've never gotten a suspicious vibe. I suspect the cups evoke something that calls out to these folks. I've always let them see the cups. When they hold them, I try to fill the time by explaining how they're modeled after Vernon's cups. I've gone so far as to script the Vernon bit.

How do you feel about this approach?

The cups is always my closer. My final loads are not compressible, as you may remember. I 'bonk' them on top of the cups at the reveal to imply they're solid.

Kent
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Sounds good Kentfgunn

Posted: Nov 24, 2011 10:22pm
In this post http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#4 Bill mentioned the use of tennis balls for the same concept. Unless I was doing bill in lemon after the loads tennis balls would actually be better. They don't need to be handed out. One only needs to be bounced which implies the lie of them all being normal. Not having to say so eliminates suspition as well.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 14:41, kentfgunn wrote:
Bill,

I've done the cups and balls for a while now. About 20% of the time, when I bust them out, initially, people comment and express a desire to hold and look at the cups. I've never gotten a suspicious vibe. I suspect the cups evoke something that calls out to these folks. I've always let them see the cups. When they hold them, I try to fill the time by explaining how they're modeled after Vernon's cups. I've gone so far as to script the Vernon bit.

How do you feel about this approach?

The cups is always my closer. My final loads are not compressible, as you may remember. I 'bonk' them on top of the cups at the reveal to imply they're solid.

Kent

Kent:

I've seen you do your routine several times. I think your routine is one of the best. I don't think what you are doing interferes with the timing or the concept of the routine at all. It all makes sense.

When I do the chop cup, I have a kid up onstage with me or standing next to me, when I am working stand-up in a living room. I let him hold the cup while I bring out the ball. I don't tell him to examine it. I tell him to look inside it and to see if there is anything in it. The wording here is crucial.

I take back the cup and give him the ball to look at. Then I tell him to drop the ball into the cup. All the scripting is tight. He doesn't examine anything, but he THINKS he examines everything.

At the end, I produce three billiard balls, which I bang on the table. This shows they are solid without saying "and if you want to, you can check out the billiard balls. They are real." The sound of a billiard ball banging on a table top will make some spectators jump.

The main thing is to do as you have done -- set up your routine so that there is no question that everything is genuine and normal.

I rhink you have done that masterfully.

Bill
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I agree with Bill, in general. But as a closer, I know it adds to the effect when people handle the fruit. I have seen so many kids through the years, touch them and excitedly announce to the room "They're real!!!". I always put away the cups, but leave out the fruit.

My smart, 5 yr old, nephew is in town for Thanksgiving. I did a show for him that ended with Fab Fruit. Apparently the last magician he saw, gave out final load peaches to be eaten. The fact that my nephew ate the final load, really resonated with him. I believe that a 5 year old is at the core of most people. And he felt the other magician's ending was more magical.

BTW I got the Fab Fruit recently. Showed my fiance C&Bs for the first time, from about 6 feet away. Afterwards she remarked "We should get you some fake fruit, so you can always be ready to perform that.".
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A lot of this depends on your performing situation. Usually when I'm performing, when I finish the last trick, I have to move on to the next table.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 11:42, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
...she remarked "We should get you some fake fruit, so you can always be ready to perform that.".

That's almost EVERYTHING I look for in a woman. She's a keeper!
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-11-25 17:37, Bill Palmer wrote:
A lot of this depends on your performing situation. Usually when I'm performing, when I finish the last trick, I have to move on to the next table.

As simple as a statement as that is it really gets me thinking differently. You may not be in a situation where handing fruit out is possible or apropriate. Some situations you can play with and be more interactive. Some instance are more angly. You may or maynot have a big servant or pouch for bigger loads. You can do certain loads with certain cups. Many things come into play. I have come up with many loads I do not talk about or have yet to really try out. I have a feeling though most I may not use frequently. A pile of 17 live nightcrawler worms that I produced on haloween night. Not only are they impractical for many situations but are only appropriate and suitable in a handful of instances. Mainly haloween performances.
Jeremy Gates
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 20:10, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 11:42, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
...she remarked "We should get you some fake fruit, so you can always be ready to perform that.".

That's almost EVERYTHING I look for in a woman. She's a keeper!

Yes Donnie, she's amazing. If I show her something new and fumble, she closes her eyes until I'm ready to proceed. We've set up a video stage for me to practice. She's so supportive, I've been writing bits non-stop.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Handing out your props, or your loads will bring your show to a screeching halt. The loads from the C&Bs will not go far, either.

If you are planning to pass out fruit, do it right. Use the Square & Circle without a bottom to produce a load of oranges so that everyone gets one. Do it at the end of the show so that it is OK for the audience to come up and claim one without putting the entire show on pause. I have done this with candy at Halloween and it went over great! Be sure to balance the amount of candy or other goodies to the number of audience members. Remember - you are not a food vendor, so don't get into trouble - ask permission first.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant final loads (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL