The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gali Gali Was No Chicken! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Rare footage of an old salt.
No busker's pouch? No Problem!

Gali-Gali's Cups
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Nice use of the costume as the pouch! It was also nice to see a well executed non-Vernon routine that had a good “wow” ending that didn’t include a hat-load or Paul Fox shaped cups. Heck those cups are not even the so-called “traditional” style we see being sold today.

It shows that there is so much more to the cups and balls than the one routine we see being done by almost everyone today.

Somewhere there is a video of Mark Raffles doing the cups and balls with large flower pots and fully grown chickens as the final loads.

Thanks for the clip!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Great vid Devious! Thanx!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Great thread, great clip, great points, thank you so much.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Yep I second that, great clip.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
To Quote Mr. Bill Palmer:

Posted on the Magic Café: Jan 21, 2010 4:08am

"It was at the Rice Hotel in Houston, 1957, at the IBM Convention that Gali-Gali got caught flushing the baby chicks down the toilet. Actually, he stopped the toilet up, and when the maintenance man came to unstop it, he found the evidence.

Gali-Gali was still in the hotel at the time. He was summarily booted out.

In Texas, we may eat chicken, but we don't drown them first."
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I don't know what the point is about Galli-Galli and chicks in the toilet.

Bosco used to kill at least three birds with every performance, one parakeet and two doves. Houdin described the horror he experienced at seeing such a spectacle that the public seemed ok with. Seems Houdin was ahead of his time at least in that regard. I don't hear anyone denouncing Bosco now as back then there appeared to be different standards. It's hard to hold people from the past to today's standards and I think largely unfair to do so.

During one of the weeks I performed at the Magic Castle I performed my Egg Bag routine where I produced a chick from the bag as a kicker. I killed more Chicks that week (maybe ten?) than I could stomach so I stopped performing the routine. Chicks and Rabbits are pretty delicate and die easily.

Thanks for the clip Devious, nice to see an old Master work. And thanks for the clip of that Chinese fellow (can't remember his name). Though I can't find it here now, it was old school stuff that was thoroughly enjoyable to see.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Quote:
On 2011-11-19 13:26, Eric Evans wrote:
I don't know what the point is about Galli-Galli and chicks in the toilet.

Bosco used to kill at least three birds with every performance, one parakeet and two doves. Houdin described the horror he experienced at seeing such a spectacle that the public seemed ok with. Seems Houdin was ahead of his time at least in that regard. I don't hear anyone denouncing Bosco now as back then there appeared to be different standards. It's hard to hold people from the past to today's standards and I think largely unfair to do so.

During one of the weeks I performed at the Magic Castle I performed my Egg Bag routine where I produced a chick from the bag as a kicker. I killed more Chicks that week (maybe ten?) than I could stomach so I stopped performing the routine. Chicks and Rabbits are pretty delicate and die easily.

Thanks for the clip Devious, nice to see an old Master work. And thanks for the clip of that Chinese fellow (can't remember his name). Though I can't find it here now, it was old school stuff that was thoroughly enjoyable to see.

I merely quoted a very interesting anecdote.
Boggles my mind why that would ruffle your feathers.

You say in your post:
"It's hard to hold people from the past to today's standards and I think largely unfair to do so."

I am not holding anyone from the past to today's standards. No need to.
Obviously they had exactly the same standards in 1957 as they do in 2011
or they wouldn't have 'booted' him out.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Hi Gary,
I think you assumed a little too much and your point about an interesting anecdote is well taken. As far as your other assumption about things being the same in 1957, I wasn't even born then but I can tell you that the world has changed a great deal concerning such things since I have been alive.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thansk Eric,
The other magician was De Yip Loo. His daughter Frances married Jay Marshall.

Whilst the incident involving Gali Gali is true, I believe that he
paid the penance for his mistake, by being ostracized during his lifetime.

We should let it rest, as he has been laid to rest and respect his place amongst,
some of the greatest to ever hold court with the cups.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gali Gali Was No Chicken! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL