The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Derren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Derren is very good for my biss
I love him
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Derren is very good for my biss
I love him
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
232 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
DB is an incredibly talented performer. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I"m afraid it mostly sounds slightly pathetic when he is criticised in the way that he often is (and is in this thread).

I'm sure all of us are much, much better performers that he will ever be. And if Lennart Green ever saw my card act he'd pack his cards away and never touch them again...
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Andrew, there is a big difference between saying that they don't like the way someone performs and saying they don't think he is a good performer. Even if your act were 100 x better than Green's act, that doesn't mean Green would pack it in. He's still doing cards, he's just doing something different. Preferring something different doesn't mean that one thing is better than another. I like apples and I like oranges. Both are fruit. I don't compare them to each other. They're different; at one moment I may prefer one to the other; that doesn't make one better.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, plus it's also very strange here that just because someone doesn't like someone, that immediately someone here jumps in with the "do you think you could do better", or "he's gotten to a much higher level that most here have". So what? That has nothing to do with whether someone likes him or his performance style. Let's get it straight, we can dislike someone or something without thinking we are better. Why is it so hard for so many here to absorb the fact that not everyone is goo goo for this guy?
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
232 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
Dmkraig - I wasn't responding to your post actually, I don't take issue with anything you've said. Of course not everyone's preference is the same and I wouldn't expect all to like a particular performer.

I was reacting to the tone of some of the posts in this thread that suggests that DB isn't half as good as a lot of performers out there. I don't think that's true. None of the performing mentalists/hypnotists that I've seen (and that's quite a few) have either the technical ability nor the command of an audience that Derren has.

Sometimes the discussion here reminds me of a karaoke singer criticising Sinatra for missing a few notes. That's all I'm saying.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
[quote]On 2011-12-09 17:03, Peter_turner wrote:
Quote:
It is not hard to pitch to a network.

Actually Peter, it is extremely hard to pitch to a network. But if you can get the agent to forward your pitch you have a teensy weensy chance, but 'in the world of magic' not much.
The proof is that there's only one mentalist outside the Objective Stable that has had a pitch considered by mainstream TV in the last 10 years.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
[quote]On 2011-12-19 20:00, bobser wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 17:03, Peter_turner wrote:
Quote:
It is not hard to pitch to a network.

Actually Peter, it is extremely hard to pitch to a network. But if you can get the agent to forward your pitch you have a teensy weensy chance, but 'in the world of magic' not much.
The proof is that there's only one mentalist outside the Objective Stable that has had a pitch considered by mainstream TV in the last 10 years.

Pitching is a simple process, if you contact a production company; if they are interested in funding a project, it is not hard to get them to film a pilot (I know, I have filmed one with daisy beck productions)and pitch it to networks. There is also a company that is visiting university's for talent at this moment in time to pitch to big networks. I had disagreements with the production company, mainly trying to control everything and fell out with them (this is not discussion for here though).

There is only one mentalist on the television because everyone assumes its a hard process and no one puts their foot forward. When in reality if no one ever bothers to try or refuses to because of Derren then of course there is no one else.

On a final note, I happen to know a mentalist that is filming this summer (I also know you all know him) and he will be appearing on our screens soon.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I LOVE DERREN BROWN's work! Smile

The man and his team are geniuses... Smile

If you don't like him, too bad... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I understand the process perferectly well Peter. The problem is 'getting the production interested in funding the project'. To my knowledge, outside 'Objective' this has only happened 5 times in tha last decade. That means that one person out of 60 million gets chosen every 2 years.
Then you have to get the pitch accepted. Ouside Objective I can only think of 2 in the last 10 years, but maybe you or spmeone else can give me some names of the succesful candidates???
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-11-19 12:52, Gabz wrote:
Is it me or is Derren Brown not very popular nowadays? Whenever
I come onto the magic Café there always seems to be someone
insulting and/or moaning about him. I'm fed up of this. Some
magicians appear to moan about how Derren "lies" so what he's
a magician he's supposed to. Some moan about how he's not a
proper hypnotist as he just uses it to "misdirect" from the sleights
he's doing.
In my opinion the only reason people seem to hate him are
because they haven't got a clue how his tricks are done.
that's the great thing about Derren not only does he impress
laymen but he is a master at fooling magicians.
So WHY HATE HIM?

I don't hate him. I would never invest that much emotion into him. I just am bored to death every time I see him. A master at fooling magicians? Hardly.

Your premise has a whole lot of presumptions and it is just wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Bobser, statistics are nothing to go by. It is supposedly a fact that 1 in 5 people are Chinese, that would mean that I have several Chinese relatives that I did not know about. Smile

I was told rather openly (as were a room full of people) that someone has a new tv show in the making and I do not want to name said person but hope someone else will.

I can also say I was funded for several filming sessions, board meetings and was also put forward as a candidate for a gadget show type deal. Unfortunately I refused to cut people in half with power tools and would not lower myself (at no cost) to guessing consumer product prices.

During one filming session in York, I was with Chris Rawlins and the director (who had never filmed any sort of performance before and under the belief mentalism was real) started to tell us how to do our jobs. This went on for an entire afternoon, slowly grinding away at us bit by bit.

We were three quarters through a days filming, the director calls a meeting and he got rather abrupt with Chris (telling Chris we were wasting valuable time on billet work, which I am sure you all know is essential). Chris tried to explain to him then the director exploded and told the crew to pack up. He had completely the wrong notion about what was going on.

Which was my own fault (I guess), as when I got the interview I performed for him for 15 minutes and he left thinking it was the real deal.

I got in contact with the company (after the incident) they told me they are interested in filming a parlouresque type deal, but I need to go away and rethink my character. This again is something I am not interested in pursuing.

I can fully appreciate that getting the pitch accepted (to a network) is something that is a hard feat. I personally believe this is down to the presentational angle people approach with.

I may pitch to a network myself this year see how things go.

Peter
MaXiMoN
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
125 Posts

Profile of MaXiMoN
I think DBrown is not hated by some
just somehow inapreciated or not agreed with in somethings (its not wrong to do that)
but you cant hate someone like that...
you cant hate CAngel or even Justin DMB'ieber (!)
because they are very successful and talented
well their talent is not very obvious on screens...if you undestand what iam saying ^^

MaXiMoN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Derren Brown (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL