The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Royal Touch? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
what does this book teach? I have been hearing many different things...Thanks! Smile
~joeKing
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Street magic !

Nicely laid out with lots of good routines from the excepted master of street magic.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

This is the one book that I would take with me to a desert island, but that would be counterproductive as it is dedicated to gathering, keeping and entertaining a crowd and then convincing them to toss dollars into your hat! Smile

Cellini lays out his thoughts, ideas and perspectives of the hows, whys, and whats of performing magic in the streets from the perspective of a busker. In other words, there is no "watch, watch ... look, look" style magic favored by today's "street" magicians, i.e., most of it would be lost on the Blainiac.

If you want solid, time-tested, crowd-tested, practical, real world routines and ideas for busking, this is the book to get.

Apparently it is now available through several dealers. I had the dickens of a time tracking it down a couple of years ago, and when I found it it cost $80 (USD) plus shipping. It's worth every penny if you're looking to learn busking street magic from one of the art's masters.

There's nothing earth-shattering in the way of routines, there are many standard effects using the cups-and-balls, rings, rope, coins, cigarettes, silks, etc., but they are all honed with the idea of having to pack small, play big and be easily set up, taken down, packed away in order to do it all over again.

Some detractors harp on some of the obvious typos and lapses in grammar, but those are by far outshone by the level of the information received in return. I have nearly everything written that I am aware of that's worth getting on street magic, and your library will not be complete without this book.

That being said, have fun playing in the street.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
thanks, MagiUlysses...I'm not sure if I'll spend 80 bucks right now for it..but I'll think about it
~joeKing
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
He also has out a couple of videos which show him in action performing many of his routines. They are cheaper than the book and will give you insight into his style and technique.

Highest recommendation for his book or videos.
dave s
View Profile
New user
new york
87 Posts

Profile of dave s
I'll second that. If you're looking to do street performing, buy the book!!! (i don't have the videos, but I'm sure they are fantastic as well)
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I don't know if it's in stock but Hocus Pocus has it listed for $49.95 regular price, $45 for members.

Joe in KC

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Royal Touch? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL